Greg Hardy: How does an elite NFL athlete not have cardio built up from years of training?

Because an MMA fight p4p is the most physically exhausting sporting sprint you can do. The body wasn’t really made to fight hand to hand for 15 minutes with low breaks.

Because sherdoggers have always confused cardio with endurance, whereas there is overlap between the two, they're not the same thing.

NFL athletes at his position are designed for short quick bursts of energy and then they need a break before they're able to do it over again. That's cardio, but not great endurance. Take a long distance runner and have him perform in the same way that Hardy does for the NFL and he'll be gassed before Hardy.
The difference is to do with energy supplies. Running and striking is aerobic, which is fuelled via oxygen absorbed in the lungs. Grappling is anaerobic, which is fuelled by oxygen stores in the muscle. The latter is often considered muscular endurance.

They are night and day different exercise systems, and MMA requires a high level of both, which is why it's such a gruelling sport to stay in condition for. I'd imagine American football would require one or the other, or a mix of both, depending on your position.

Because an NFL-game that lasts for 3 or more hours, only has about 11 minutes of active play. You don't need endurance to play American football.

Reactions: xn7
really you think it takes great cardio to play in the NFL.

Nfl you just need to make a few explosive plays then you rest on the bench

Football is more hiit and there are many NFL guys that run a marathon (obv they hde to lose some weight).AAlso he has asthma.

Shit needs some time. Also some are just born with it. For example, wilder is super explosive and a cardio machine and that shit would 100% transfer to other sports, because he's born with that.

I mean.. I bet Ngannou has more boxing (combat in general) expierence than Efe Ajagba but do you think Ngannou could throw 1000 punches in 10 rounds without gassing? Everything needs some time.

Why are MMA fans so weird?

Last edited:
He basically had an asthma attack. I'm guessing he is allowed to use the inhaler when he is training, but because it's not allowed in the ring he wasn't able to adjust. He may have also been allergic to something in the air. It's going to destroy any potential for a title run. He couldn't have lasted with Stipe or Cormier.

American Football is a brutal sport but they don't really play constantly like futbol (soccer) players do. Each play is, what, 11 seconds? Then a 2 minute break. Then 11 seconds, then another 45 second break, etc. And they only play half the game, i.e. defense only or offense only

Fighting is different man. I've noticed at work. While having excellent cardio. Every time I have to wrestle some idiot my lungs are burning.

American Football is a brutal sport but they don't really play constantly like futbol (soccer) players do. Each play is, what, 11 seconds? Then a 2 minute break. Then 11 seconds, then another 45 second break, etc. And they only play half the game, i.e. defense only or offense only

Actually each play lasts about 5 seconds.
And there is 45 seconds between each play.
I just wanted to clarify for accuracy. But your points are still very valid and relevant ; American Football occurs in much shorter spurts of energy, compared to something like MMA.
In fact, it's not uncommon for a RunningBack to need an inhaler, after just one play, if he ran for a long one, like 50+ yards.
So, even offensive Running Backs, obviously known for "running", need help with their cardio once in a while.

IMO it's because the action is all stop and start with american football. it probably doesn't translate well into a continuous cardio exercise like mma.

also, i doubt there's any sport on earth as taxing as mma, period.

Actually each play lasts about 5 seconds.
And there is 45 seconds between each play.
I just wanted to clarify for accuracy. But your points are still very valid and relevant ; American Football occurs in much shorter spurts of energy, compared to something like MMA.
In fact, it's not uncommon for a RunningBack to need an inhaler, after just one play, if he ran for a long one, like 50+ yards.
So, even offensive Running Backs, obviously known for "running", need help with their cardio once in a while.
Yeah that's fair. Some plays do go longer than 5 seconds, and with timeouts etc. the breaks can be a couple minutes, but you're right.

It's a different sport than MMA. Different conditioning and different physical aspects are emphasized. A running back needs an inhaler because they sprint, not jog or pace themselves, and then may need to go back out again immediately

Asthma and you can’t use an inhaler.
But it hasn’t really stopped him. It’s pretty amazing a football player can go to the ufc and bolt up the rankings even going the distance with volkov.

another edit. He also has to cut to 265. Which a hw. Should be able to weigh as much as they want to. It’s absurd hw. Need to cut weight.

NFL players train for sprints because plays only last a few seconds long..
tenor.gif

Anyone have any insight on why he was about to fall over even during the interview with Bisping? I know he used an inhaler before in between rounds but damn, does he have an extra medical issue going on? Especially when he would be getting world class level mma training...

different sports have different cardio demands. Hell, different positions require different cardio demands. A linebacker trains differently than a Wide receiver.

“ asthma bruh! Hey mang , you fittin to bring me my Inhaler or what ?!”

Anyone have any insight on why he was about to fall over even during the interview with Bisping? I know he used an inhaler before in between rounds but damn, does he have an extra medical issue going on? Especially when he would be getting world class level mma training...
Football isn't a cardio game. Its a game of a ton of short explosions with 45 seconds of rest between. Plays are six seconds or less. Most players run less than 20 yards a play

Back