Greg Hardy: How does an elite NFL athlete not have cardio built up from years of training?

Are you seriously so stupid you can't tell the difference between a sprint sport and MMA?

Its a shit sport. where fat guys on steroids and speed, train to burst for 5 seconds. There’s only 12 min of actual playtime in an actual football game, in a study done by the wall street journal. Its commercials. And then 15 min of football, the perfect combo for the sheeple. We even stole the name football, to further the brainwash and make people in our country like a sport that was designed for advertising to simpletons who are also drunk.

lets watch millionaires play catch, and throw balls through hoops.. nah, worst case I’m watching two guys fist fight.

Its a shit sport. where fat guys on steroids and speed, train to burst for 5 seconds. There’s only 12 min of actual playtime in an actual football game, in a study done by the wall street journal. Its commercials. And then 15 min of football, the perfect combo for the sheeple. We even stole the name football, to further the brainwash and make people in our country like a sport that was designed for advertising to simpletons who are also drunk.

lets watch millionaires play catch, and throw balls through hoops.. nah, worst case I’m watching two guys fist fight.
That's not why Football is called that, no one stole anything lmfao. Rugby football and European football(soccer) made their to Ameica. Football is the combination of Rugby Football and Eurepean football(soccer). So around the early 1900s it became known as simply football .
But hey what are facts.

Greg has the cardio of an 85 year old chain smoker with heart disease. The guy literally looked like he was going to drop dead after the Greene fight

I have, I have competed in football, boxing, and trained mma. He has been competing in mma for a solid 3 years, he should have more gas in the tank. Asthma as others have mentioned must be doing him in and really tough to deal with.
Im. So do you remember how football you didnt use much lasting cardio? If an mma round is 5 minutes. Tell me the last time you saw a football play last 5 minutes. The only one i can think of is bo jackson on nes tecmo bowl.

get what you’re saying, but long distance runners can also pump out short bursts of energy and be fine. They just don’t have as much power. Anyone that can pump out a 5 minute mile is not going to gas doing sprints or short interval work, they just won’t generate as much power.
Hardy wasn't just doing sprints....Hardy workout would consist of doing sprints with another person or object (sleds) giving heavy resistance while you're sprinting. So take that person that does this 5 min mile, and have him do short interval work with someone giving heavy resistance against them.

A lot of it just comes down to muscle memory and so on. Cardio doesn’t necessarily translate between sports. You take a boxer and force him to grapple and he most likely would gas out fast. Same goes for a swimmer that has to race on foot and vice versa.

Comparing a foot ball players gas tank to that of an MMA fighter is apples and oranges. Most times it doesn’t transfer between sports.

American football is extremely short sub 10 second bursts of activity followed by rest periods several times longer than the play itself. Its an explosive and physical sport but the cardio demands are pretty low.

They beat you in 99% of any athletic you arbitrarily can think of.. Your delusional is incredible. Just stick to they are generally "overweight" buddy.

i think you're overestimating NFL players overall athleticism. they'd beat tons of average joes in sprints or explosive strength movements like deadlifts and shit, but i guarantee there's a whole heap of skinny Nick Diaz motherfuckers out there who would trash the shit out of them in marathons/triathalons and such.

they're not superhuman cyborgs. you can't be the best at everything, you have to choose your lane and stick to it. nobody is the strongest man in the world and the fastest, or the best sprinter and best marathoner.

People slam each other into the ground all the time in American football. Hardy just needs to stop punching people and start slamming. Eazy way to championship belt.

NFL whatever level athlete is a myth, that guy and his inhaler are the proof, an elite athlete might not take punches well, or have the best fight IQ, skills, but he should be able to perform without almost having a heart attack.

A top NFL lineman gets 50 snaps in a game. On average a play lasts about 10 seconds in the NFL. You then have up to 40 seconds to recover until the next play starts. Plus your on the bench all the time the offense is out there.

So Hardy is used to exerting himself at 100% for about 8.3 minutes which is spread out over 3 hours the avg length of an NFL game. I think it is foolish to think someone like him would have good cardio, his entire role requires him to have great explosive energy that he uses in short bursts.

Anyone have any insight on why he was about to fall over even during the interview with Bisping? I know he used an inhaler before in between rounds but damn, does he have an extra medical issue going on? Especially when he would be getting world class level mma training...
Dumb OP thinks all sports have the same cardiovascular requirements.
Lemme try
“If MMA fighters have such great cardio, why aren’t they participating in and dominating more lucrative sports?”

Are you seriously so stupid you can't tell the difference between a sprint sport and MMA?
To be fair MMA is a sprint sport too. But most fighters have good enough cardio to recover in between periods of sprinting.

No cardio or technique Greg Hardy was able to headline a UFC show, what does that say about your sport, OP?
UFC champ Brock couldn’t make it out an NFL training camp, hmm.

Your body figures out how to most efficiently perform actions that is has learned to do. "Muscle memory" as it were. He cut from about 300lbs, hasn't been doing this nearly as long, and is a little older. He can probably train for significant periods of time too, because the environment and expectations are more familiar to his body.

Football is about short bursts of energy and defensive linemen are heavily rotated to keep them fresh.

Because sherdoggers have always confused cardio with endurance, whereas there is overlap between the two, they're not the same thing.

NFL athletes at his position are designed for short quick bursts of energy and then they need a break before they're able to do it over again. That's cardio, but not great endurance. Take a long distance runner and have him perform in the same way that Hardy does for the NFL and he'll be gassed before Hardy.

Youre soo clueless... cardio is directly tied to endurance it's pretty much the same thing.

i think you're overestimating NFL players overall athleticism. they'd beat tons of average joes in sprints or explosive strength movements like deadlifts and shit, but i guarantee there's a whole heap of skinny Nick Diaz motherfuckers out there who would trash the shit out of them in marathons/triathalons and such.

they're not superhuman cyborgs. you can't be the best at everything, you have to choose your lane and stick to it. nobody is the strongest man in the world and the fastest, or the best sprinter and best marathoner.
Good post, i agree.

Not only do many people on here think they are the best athletes in existence, but many people think athleticism is limited to explosivity and strength.

A guy like Eliud Kipchoge is with about 99.99% certainty a better athlete than anyone on the UFC roster, yet you'd have guys who'd say a Greg Hardy or Yoel Romero are so much more athletic.

It's stupid, because athleticism can mean being insanely explosive, having absurd endurance or even be way above average amongst those who train to be allrounders.

In regards to MMA, i'd much rather be a guy like Robert Whittaker who's really good in both power and endurance than being on either end of the spectrum and having bad cardio or no power at all, although i think bad cardio lets you more often down than bad power, at least against the elite guys.

Back