• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Green Bay Packers 2021 Offseason

aaron-rodgers-shailene-woodley-miles-teller-36.jpg

<Steiner01>

Out of shape. Out of cares? He doesn't even look like an NFL player. Damn.

<Steiner01>

Now Aaron responded.

@Deffid You looked at the cap situation for 2022?

Unreal, which makes restructuring Lowry and guaranteeing more of his money even more confounding.

Currently, the team is $29 million OVER the 2022 cap (most in the NFL iirc)
Cut Preston Smith = $17 million over

And that's without contracts for Davante Adams or Robert Tonyan

@Deffid You looked at the cap situation for 2022?

Unreal, which makes restructuring Lowry and guaranteeing more of his money even more confounding.

Currently, the team is $29 million OVER the 2022 cap (most in the NFL iirc)
Cut Preston Smith = $17 million over

And that's without contracts for Davante Adams or Robert Tonyan
Yeah, I check Ken Ingalls' Twitter account from time to time and he is going on and on about the 2022 situation for a while now. That's why I was so surprised by yet another restructure, especially for someone like Lowry.

Quite honestly I have no idea what their plan even is. Before all the drama I thought they would go for it with Rodgers for another year and then trade him, but now it is highly unlikely that he plays without a new contract that prevents a 2022 trade. If they trade Rodgers now then all of their "keep the band together" moves were completely useless, they only ever made sense for another year with Rodgers. That's why the Packers are in an extremely tough place now in my opinion.

I have the feeling Adams might be another heartbreaker, but that also probably comes down to the Rodgers situation. If there is a Rodgers trade and rebuild (probably a younger pass catcher coming back), I don't see how it makes sense for them to give him a huge deal. If they commit to Rodgers, that's another story. But they constantly do the unexpected so who knows anymore...

Man, this seems like this happened yesterday. Time flies.

And, just lol at women who don't get why we might scream at the end of a game.

I kinda hope the front office is shopping Tonyan. He's on the last year of his deal before he hits the market. And even if the team could afford to pay him, he's most likely goin to demand way more than he's worth ala Austin Hooper.

I kinda hope the front office is shopping Tonyan. He's on the last year of his deal before he hits the market. And even if the team could afford to pay him, he's most likely goin to demand way more than he's worth ala Austin Hooper.
Also did that voidable years bullshit with his one year deal:

Guess it will depend on the price tag and situation next year.

Also did that voidable years bullshit with his one year deal:

Guess it will depend on the price tag and situation next year.

Given how next year's cap situation is considerably more dire, I don't really get them pushing so much into it. If they fail to make a big signing (are they any left?), it will make even less sense.

Like...with Dean Lowry? WTF? There are a ton of bargain DL free agents out there. Kawann Short, Jurrell Casey, Geno Atkins, Sheldon Richardson, Allen Bailey, Shelby Harris (who graded top 10 in PFF in 2020 btw), Austin Johnson are all available for nothing and you....extend Dean Lowry? So that his 2022 cap hit is....8 million dollars, half of which is guaranteed? He's going to have a top 10 salary in 2022 for 5 techs.

Given how next year's cap situation is considerably more dire, I don't really get them pushing so much into it. If they fail to make a big signing (are they any left?), it will make even less sense.

Like...with Dean Lowry? WTF? There are a ton of bargain DL free agents out there. Kawann Short, Jurrell Casey, Geno Atkins, Sheldon Richardson, Allen Bailey, Shelby Harris (who graded top 10 in PFF in 2020 btw), Austin Johnson are all available for nothing and you....extend Dean Lowry? So that his 2022 cap hit is....8 million dollars, half of which is guaranteed? He's going to have a top 10 salary in 2022 for 5 techs.
I don't think they will make any kind of "big" move unless they do something with Rodgers deal or an Adams extension which could lower his current 16m cap hit. But I assume no significant move will be made.

That move was absolutely insane. Just cut the guy, who cares? Not even post June bullshit, just cut him, get some JAG for him and call it a day. Now his cap hit in 2022 is 8m and dead cap about 4m, which could mean ANOTHER season of Lowry after this one.

As sad as it is, only way to solve this cap issue (short(mid term) is either by going full on Saints giving Rodgers whatever he wants and push money out every year, or to trade him.

I don't think they will make any kind of "big" move unless they do something with Rodgers deal or an Adams extension which could lower his current 16m cap hit. But I assume no significant move will be made.

That move was absolutely insane. Just cut the guy, who cares? Not even post June bullshit, just cut him, get some JAG for him and call it a day. Now his cap hit in 2022 is 8m and dead cap about 4m, which could mean ANOTHER season of Lowry after this one.

As sad as it is, only way to solve this cap issue (short(mid term) is either by going full on Saints giving Rodgers whatever he wants and push money out every year, or to trade him.

Definitely a "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills" sort of move.

Like...there has to be an explanation where Lowry is actually better at football than we see, right? Because he now has two consecutive seasons of being, per PFF, not just average but definitively below replacement value. And it's not like he's Letroy Guion, who graded as being terrible in PFF but was actually a really good block eater and great value. Lowry is just straight up not good.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/31/value-isnt-there-for-packers-to-keep-dl-dean-lowry/

Trading Rodgers doesn't help the cap. Too much dead money even if it's spread over two years. If Rodgers retires, it helps the cap.

Trading Rodgers doesn't help the cap. Too much dead money even if it's spread over two years. If Rodgers retires, it helps the cap.
The dead money sucks but they would still get a significant relief in both years. You also have to consider that those two years very likely won't be contending years anyway, they get some talent on rookie deals back and a bunch of premium picks for more cheap talent over a few years. But we will see what happens in a few months, I think he stays after all, but can't rule out anything else and also the conditions under which he stays will matter (a lot).

I keep going back to this statement by Aaron. Football seems to mean a lot to him and playing the game fills a need. Maybe something has changed for Aaron but it certainly seems that he wants to play and needs to play. It's why I don't think the talk of retirement, which I haven't heard from Aaron, is an option for him. This would be a good time to retire. He just had an MVP season and is sitting near the top of the quarterback stats but it seems like he wants more.

He really wants that elusive second title. Unfortunately, I don't think he gets it.

Back