• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Green Bay Packers 2021 Offseason

Sanders did not look good last year. At this point, he's not worth the money + the lost reps for Lazard/MVS/EQ.

Jones could be had for something reasonable like $7/year I think.
Fair, I didn't see many Saints games last year to be fair and I also wonder how much of Sanders not looking good was due to Brees arm being dead.

Yeah, they should.

Using OTC, just restructuring Rodgers and guaranteeing his contract gets us to +4.8 million

Also restructuring ZDS gets us to +12.5 million

Cutting Preston Smith gets us to +19.7 million

Additionally cutting Burks and Jackson gets us to +20.7 million

Additionally cutting Lowry gets us to +23.4 million

So we could be looking at nearly $25 million in cap space. Not nearly as dire as it seemed to be before imo.
It'd be nice is they could keep Preston given they lost out on the JJ Watt sweepstakes. If they outright cut Preston all they have for true pass rushers is Z and Gary and while Z is awesome and Gary is improving... that doesn't feel like enough.

Granted, I ain't seen shit for who there is in the draft class that could be good pass rushers.

Fair, I didn't see many Saints games last year to be fair and I also wonder how much of Sanders not looking good was due to Brees arm being dead.

It'd be nice is they could keep Preston given they lost out on the JJ Watt sweepstakes. If they outright cut Preston all they have for true pass rushers is Z and Gary and while Z is awesome and Gary is improving... that doesn't feel like enough.

Granted, I ain't seen shit for who there is in the draft class that could be good pass rushers.[/QUcuts?

Hopefully Preston takes a pay cut. He's still the best pure edge rusher of the group imo.

Sanders did not look good last year. At this point, he's not worth the money + the lost reps for Lazard/MVS/EQ.

Jones could be had for something reasonable like $7/year I think.

Yeah, they should.

Using OTC, just restructuring Rodgers and guaranteeing his contract gets us to +4.8 million

Also restructuring ZDS gets us to +12.5 million

Cutting Preston Smith gets us to +19.7 million

Additionally cutting Burks and Jackson gets us to +20.7 million

Additionally cutting Lowry gets us to +23.4 million

So we could be looking at nearly $25 million in cap space. Not nearly as dire as it seemed to be before imo.
That is true.

Just two things: 1) it is a question of how much restructuring and extensions they want to do, plus all the cuts have to be replaced as well. 2) Keep in mind that they need to have a couple of million for in-season stuff and have to sign the draft class.

IMO it will end up being one relatively big swing with a few bargain bin signings, or a few average tier signings like Wagner and Kirksey last offseason.

Granted, I ain't seen shit for who there is in the draft class that could be good pass rushers.
They will do something with Preston for sure, I think he is trade bait at this point and if that doesn't happen, who knows...

That is true.

Just two things: 1) it is a question of how much restructuring and extensions they want to do, plus all the cuts have to be replaced as well. 2) Keep in mind that they need to have a couple of million for in-season stuff and have to sign the draft class.

IMO it will end up being one relatively big swing with a few bargain bin signings, or a few average tier signings like Wagner and Kirksey last offseason.

I don't have any predictions, but there are a lot of really valuable mid-range free agents at DL and especially CB imo. If they don't sign at least one of the 8-10 starter quality corners and a defensive linemen, I'll be really disappointed. Since Denver announced they're going to tender Phillip Lindsay, Duke Johnson is the only RB left I'd be excited about.

I'm really worried about replacing Lindsey and Wagner though. Particularly Lindsey in the run game and Wagner in the pass game.

I don't have any predictions, but there are a lot of really valuable mid-range free agents at DL and especially CB imo. If they don't sign at least one of the 8-10 starter quality corners and a defensive linemen, I'll be really disappointed. Since Denver announced they're going to tender Phillip Lindsay, Duke Johnson is the only RB left I'd be excited about.

I'm really worried about replacing Lindsey and Wagner though. Particularly Lindsey in the run game and Wagner in the pass game.
And lots of cuts are still to come as well, so maybe even more options. I agree that they definitely need to do something at these positions, especially CB is a no brainer this year.

O-Line will suffer for sure, I just hope not that much. Maybe they found/will find some gems in the draft.

Hopefully Preston takes a pay cut. He's still the best pure edge rusher of the group imo.
I don't see why he wouldn't... but that's me being hopeful he wants to run it back again.

And lots of cuts are still to come as well, so maybe even more options. I agree that they definitely need to do something at these positions, especially CB is a no brainer this year.

O-Line will suffer for sure, I just hope not that much. Maybe they found/will find some gems in the draft.
Given how versatile chunks of the line was this last year I trust them to find a replacement for Linsley.

They moved on from:
Dietrich Smith
Sitton
Lang
Bulaga

With very little hiccups the year after. I believe the team knows how to train up linemen.

That is true.

They will do something with Preston for sure, I think he is trade bait at this point and if that doesn't happen, who knows...

Trading players at this point seems like it would be difficult when teams know other teams need to dump contracts. Free agency will be a buyers market for the few teams that have cap space.

Given how versatile chunks of the line was this last year I trust them to find a replacement for Linsley.

They moved on from:
Dietrich Smith
Sitton
Lang
Bulaga

With very little hiccups the year after. I believe the team knows how to train up linemen.

You're right. And they're especially adept at developing pass protectors. But I just don't think you can replace Linsley as a run blocker. Dude is a fucking mauler. I believe he was the highest graded center in both areas in PFF last year. I think. Either way, I'm more happy for him that he's going to cash out than I have been for any other player.

You're right. And they're especially adept at developing pass protectors. But I just don't think you can replace Linsley as a run blocker. Dude is a fucking mauler. I believe he was the highest graded center in both areas in PFF last year. I think. Either way, I'm more happy for him that he's going to cash out than I have been for any other player.
I'm happy for Linsley getting his payday, same as Jones as they both deserve it. Just wish it was with the Packers is all.

So, if Bahk's recovery goes "as planned" and he can be back next year the line is:
LT- Bahk
LG- ?
C- ?
RG- Jenkins
RT- ? or Runyan?

Big oof. Unless they can keep Lane Taylor and put him at the other guard spot that's a lot of question marks. Is Turner likely gone too? I know he seemed to fill in everywhere the last two years.

Trading players at this point seems like it would be difficult when teams know other teams need to dump contracts. Free agency will be a buyers market for the few teams that have cap space.
For sure. However, the team trading for him won't have to take on the entire deal and also won't have to outbid another team money wise on the open market.

I'm happy for Linsley getting his payday, same as Jones as they both deserve it. Just wish it was with the Packers is all.

So, if Bahk's recovery goes "as planned" and he can be back next year the line is:
LT- Bahk
LG- ?
C- ?
RG- Jenkins
RT- ? or Runyan?

Big oof. Unless they can keep Lane Taylor and put him at the other guard spot that's a lot of question marks. Is Turner likely gone too? I know he seemed to fill in everywhere the last two years.

I think you're right that only Bak and Jenkins are sure things. I was really hoping they'd release Turner and keep Wagner. Turner was awful at RT. But I think he's going to stay.

Honestly, I'd put Lane Taylor as a more likely return than Linsley at this point. The market for Linsley is going to be way, way stronger.

I think you're right that only Bak and Jenkins are sure things. I was really hoping they'd release Turner and keep Wagner. Turner was awful at RT. But I think he's going to stay.

Honestly, I'd put Lane Taylor as a more likely return than Linsley at this point. The market for Linsley is going to be way, way stronger.
I figure with Taylor's injury they can likely keep him as he won't be able to get a ton of money on the open market. I frankly like the guy too so I'm happy with him sticking around.

I know it's just camp news but last offseason in the shortened camp they had... he didn't give up a single sack in one on one drills against Z, Preston, and Kenny Clark.

Maybe Taylor to Center that would give Bahk at LT, Taylor at C, and Jenkins at RG and then Runyan fills in at either LG or RT depending on which is a better natural fit for him? I think Runyan was a tackle in college but I can't remember and I know WHEN he did play this last season you never heard his name which for an offensive lineman is a good thing.

Janoris Jenkins released. This year's free agent corner back class continues to be thicker than a bowl of oatmeal.

Janoris Jenkins released. This year's free agent corner back class continues to be thicker than a bowl of oatmeal.
If the team could get him on a team friendly deal I'd be for it. He's getting older but he's a good bridge type player I would imagine.

If the team could get him on a team friendly deal I'd be for it. He's getting older but he's a good bridge type player I would imagine.

I just hope they sign at least one vet CB. In all my years of being a fan, the only times they signed guys I specifically wanted were Peppers and Cook. So I won't get my hopes up for anyone in particular.

Amos restructured to help the team with cap space.

I don't get why they haven't restructured Rodgers yet. Like....they can't possibly really think they're going to move him within the next couple years, right?

I don't get why they haven't restructured Rodgers yet. Like....they can't possibly really think they're going to move him within the next couple years, right?
I thought they sorta did by converting some of his pay into a signing bonus to alleviate the cap hit?

Back