Great movies that are kind of well known but not really. . .

G

Guestx

You know the sort. I'm specifically talking about those movies that many real MOVIE FANS have probably seen or at least heard of, but that if you mentioned to most regular people on the street they'd be clueless.

So if the film got a wide theatrical release, it probably doesn't fit. Or if it is a film that has gone on to generate a huge cult following, then it also probably doesn't fit. We're looking for movies here that aren't totally obscure but also definitely couldn't be called "well known" in any way.

Here are a few such films that are on my list. Feel free to add your own.

1. The Apostle

The best Robert Duvall film you've never heard of. Written by Robert Duvall. Directed by Robert Duvall. Financed by Robert Duvall.

Honestly, the trailer doesn't really do it justice. It's a great film about a flawed-but-sincere Southern preacher who is on the run from the law but still trying live out his life in a meaningful way. I especially appreciate how it approaches the subjects of religion and the South with respect, rather than caricaturing those subjects the way that so many other movies do. All I can say is watch it. If you have any kind of a heart, you will not be disappointed.

2. Way of the Gun

I've loved this movie since I first saw it a decade-and-a-half ago. A truly underrated crime thriller with, in my opinion, a career-defining turn from Ryan Phillipe. With names like Phillipe, Benicio del Toro, James Caan, Nicky Kat, Taye Diggs and Juliette Lewis, you'd have expected Way of the Gun to have been a bigger hit--and more well known--than it is, but alas, I suppose it has to settle for minor cult status.

It also happens to have one of the best opening scenes in film history. . .

3. Sound of my Voice

Here's a recent entry and a great introduction to the relative newcomer Brit Marling. It's also a good example of how a very compelling movie can be made with limited resources. One of the best indie films of the past few years.

I saw this one many, many years ago, soon after it came out. I should probably rewatch it. I just looked up the box office take: $2.8M on a $30 or $40M budget (depending on which source you trust). That's rough. Just on the strength of the cast alone I'd have expected a much better performance.

All the Christopher Guest mockumentaries. Best in Show is probably the funniest, but they're all great.

Coherence

465800_lg_event_main.jpg

Belly

images

Bulworth

images

Wag the Dog

images

Last edited:
Still quite a well-known film, nevertheless. I don't think there's any film by the Coen brothers that isn't at least somewhat well-known.

I kind of thought about that. I wasn't quite sure if it fit or not. It's definitely pushing the boundaries of the thread's parameters, but I suspect a good many people today have never heard of it, much less seen it.

i liked Nolans first film The Following. kinda weird, but certainly interesting

Going with my favorite movie of all time... Collateral. Did well in the theaters and was critically acclaimed, but I don't know anyone who's seen it and I never see it brought up in movie conversations.

Going with my favorite movie of all time... Collateral. Did well in the theaters and was critically acclaimed, but I don't know anyone who's seen it and I never see it brought up in movie conversations.

I have to say that Collateral definitely falls outside of the parameters of this thread. Good movie, though.

Starring biggest movie star in the world.
Directed by one of the most revered directors in the world.
Oscar nominated.
Budget of $65m.
Made $200+ at the box office.

Back