Great Guitar Players of the 90's

Their first two albums are regarded very well. I wouldn't call them dad rock.
I was mental for the first two albums. But they're playing a melody to match a vocal. Supersonic, Wonderwall et all are flippin brilliant but anyone saying they were good guitarists when we've worked out we could do it with our eyes shut in a very short space of time...you just don't know music if you think that..

The guy in my av was more known for his earlier stuff but still did some good music in the 90s.

Chuck from Death was one of the greats, i'm not a huge death metal fan but Death rocked and Chuck was brilliant.

@Drain Bamage
Thoughts on Satch, Townsend, Vai, Malmsteen, Bettencourt, Petrucci? Or are you legit admitting to trolling? Or are they you "favourite" and you don't know much about guitar music at all. I used to love Oasis but ffs putting Noel Gallagher in a top 10...you know nothing.

Ya, I was going to say guys like Satch, Petrucci, Vai, maybe Eric Johnson, etc. I'm sure there were some other really good guys too. I loved Dimebag and I saw Malmsteen in concert in a smallish club (had ringing in my ears for 3 days). could maybe say Santana.

My other favorite guys have been said.
Morella, RHCP, AIC, Pearl Jam.

Ya, I was going to say guys like Satch, Petrucci, Vai, maybe Eric Johnson, etc. I'm sure there were some other really good guys too. I loved Dimebag and I saw Malmsteen in concert in a smallish club (had ringing in my ears for 3 days). could maybe say Santana.

My other favorite guys have been said.
Morella, RHCP, AIC, Pearl Jam.
Thing is. I'm not MENTAL about technical guitar music. I admire it, and it gives me ASMR a lot, I can still go mad for Satch or Prince because it puts you into another realm and I really really appreciate musical talent. Stone Sour, NIN, Depeche Mode, Machine Head...since Jim Root left none of them are amazing even though Josh Rand is good. But I still enjoy them really more than the other guys I've mentioned...with the exception of seeing Dream Theater. I wasn't expecting to go as nuts for them when I saw them....but anyone denying Petrucci's brilliance...knows nothing around a guitar.

I don't enjoy listening to Dream Theater. I respect their abilities, but despite trying, it does nothing for me. I prefer some of their influences and it's not me being insulting. I just can't get into that.

Thing is. I'm not MENTAL about technical guitar music. I admire it, and it gives me ASMR a lot, I can still go mad for Satch or Prince because it puts you into another realm and I really really appreciate musical talent. Stone Sour, NIN, Depeche Mode, Machine Head...since Jim Root left none of them are amazing even though Josh Rand is good. But I still enjoy them really more than the other guys I've mentioned...with the exception of seeing Dream Theater. I wasn't expecting to go as nuts for them when I saw them....but anyone denying Petrucci's brilliance...knows nothing around a guitar.

I've said it before but Petrucci is the best guitar player I've ever seen live, unbelievable. And unlike someone like a Malmsteen he's a very humble guy

Keep your male guitar players and give me a hot female bass player any day of the week..
images

69cca938bdb532dcd5486d4e4e968c2e.jpg

4fd9bd89a3f645252a7f914248ef4291.jpg

images

images

b580886b59cc8073b29af118b73d87c2.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's guitarists of the 90's.

I think my problem is just I don't like Oasis very much.

Especially fucking Wonderwall.

I mean my point is I wasn't even harping on Noel or Oasis. He is one out of what 10 or something guitarists I listed. It was everybody else attacking me and then I had to defend myself.

Not a technically great guitar player but one that has inspired millions because he writes songs that connect with every day people. I'm more into songwriting and tone than technical ability. Noel has great tone, I like that british EL34 overdrive. I'm a Marshall guy. My main amp in my band days was a Marshall 1959SLP (Plexi).

I get what you’re saying and I think it has merit, but I think Satriani is not the best example to use. The reason being the “technical abilities” aren’t necessarily the defining quality that makes him a guitar icon. Clearly the skills are there, but for Satriani it’s always been the song. He can use his guitar to craft a song without lyrics better than just about any of the other “shredders” of his time. Even when he’s “shredding” it’s still very purposeful—always to an emotional end. It truly sets him apart..

Creating dark moods is cool. Those are great examples you shared. But creating a “blue dream” mood is pretty fucking cool too.

Yeah I mean this is why I don't like him.
(Timestamped)

^ It's a talent show. He's such a dork.

Sorry, just not my scene. Agree to disagree and all that.

Edit: And the drummer and bass player couldnt be playing more boring shit. I think thats another problem with this music. "Hey guys just lay back so I can solo some more"

Yeah I mean this is why I don't like him.
(Timestamped)

^ It's a talent show. He's such a dork.

Sorry, just not my scene. Agree to disagree and all that.

Edit: And the drummer and bass player couldnt be playing more boring shit. I think thats another problem with this music. "Hey guys just lay back so I can solo some more"

But that’s time stamped at literally the least technical thing he does in the entire song. He’s just riding the note produced by feedback. Just creating a mood—setting the stage for the song.

I disagree about the band. Theyre not playing simple just so he can solo (he’s not even soloing anywhere near the timestamp). What the band is doing serves the feel of the song. The bass is playing straight 8s on a deep root note. Stu Hamm and the drummer are creating a “driving” feeling, or in this case, flying. It’s exactly what the song needs.

I can appreciate this music not appealing to all music lovers. It’s not for everybody. But I do think there’s so much more musical meat to Satriani’s songs, composition, etc than many of his contemporaries.

Not from the 90's but this lady makes my heart flutter. I'm crazy for her.

But that’s time stamped at literally the least technical thing he does in the entire song. He’s just riding the note produced by feedback. Just creating a mood—setting the stage for the song.

I'm talking about his demeanor. The way he's literally wanking the whammy bar and staring at the audience. Looks like a talent show to me.

It's just not my scene dude. It's fine, different strokes for different folks. I'm from the Omar Rodriguez Lopez school of playing with absolute disdain for your audience lol...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back