Great Guitar Players of the 90's

He can play but... UGH. I hate fake bluesmen. Call me old fashioned but i want my bluemen to have lived through some shit, seen some shit. This dude is about as suburban and milquetoast as it gets. A nice educated college boy, a literate singer-songwriter. He's got zero gravitas or emotional depth.

Dave Matthews.. But then he’s still writing and great, like the style or not.

Man, Dave's unorthodox style of playing was a breath of fresh air in the 90s. There was also the live album he did with Tim Reynolds in '99. Tim's playing on that album was out of this world good.

Man, Dave's unorthodox style of playing was a breath of fresh air in the 90s. There was also the live album he did with Tim Reynolds in '99. Tim's playing on that album was out of this world good.
They both still play together and both are still both good, but Tim gets annoying at times.

Last edited:
I always really liked John Christ in the 1990s. Too bad he got injured and stopped playing for a long time.

He can play but... UGH. I hate fake bluesmen. Call me old fashioned but i want my bluemen to have lived through some shit, seen some shit. This dude is about as suburban and milquetoast as it gets. A nice educated college boy, a literate singer-songwriter. He's got zero gravitas or emotional depth.

Agree 100% but he's really blues-rock, which is different IMO and he is a "monster player" in the sense that he can make a 3-piece sound like it is not lacking in guitar at all. He fills a ton of space and does that halfway between rhythm and lead thing very well. A lot of the "true bluesman" don't play that big. It's really a totally different style isn't it?

Back