Gray Maynard Could Be A Threat, But He's Packing Serious Glass

Jesus christ why do people keep saying this

I'm not a fan of Guida, in fact I was cheering on Chad Mendes to knock him out

He did rock Maynard in their fight! 5th round

When? Because all I remember was Maynard chasing the guy around the whole fight. People are overplaying his alleged glass chin big time.

When? Because all I remember was Maynard chasing the guy around the whole fight. People are overplaying his alleged glass chin big time.

According to TS' logic Hunt and Fedor have glass chins because they got KOed by middleweights.

Trust me, most of that fight is Guida just running around

in the 5th round, Guida throws a headkick and follows up with 2 punches or so, while Maynard does a little Frank Mir wobble stumble.

Guida, however, chose to not follow up and instead kept doing his side to side running BS he did all fight

EDIT: Just double checked. Happens at 3:44 in the 5th round

I think if people see it for themselves, they will finally believe it. Trust me, I am not a Guida fan, and I prayed that Maynard got the nod in the decision in that fight. All I'm saying is Guida DID hurt him in that fight somehow, even with all that running

You post 5 items, and every one is an outright lie.
1. Edgar DID NOT knock Maynard "out cold" or anything close to it. TKO Referee Stoppage for failing to defend.
2. No, never happened. However, Maynard did knock Diaz down.
3. A myth. Perpetrated by parroting morons like yourself.
4. Gray did get stopped, at 2:07
5. Guida did nothing to Maynard but run.
"As we all know", lies and stupidity are commonplace on Sherdog. You did well, 5 items, 5 lies.

I agree with everything apart him not knocking himself out, that definitely happened. That doesn't mean he has a weak chin tho, the impact was savage.

This revisionist history is pretty funny. Guida was a couple of follow up punches and a killer instinct away from making this thread unnecessary.

This whole giving fighters the benefit of the doubt re: punch resistance is stupid. Since when does it take a finish (or multiple, including one from a takedown in this case) for your chin to get exposed?

The Guida incident is enough on it's own. Everything else just supports the fact that, Gray Maynard has a poor chin.

This revisionist history is pretty funny. Guida was a couple of follow up punches and a killer instinct away from making this thread unnecessary.

Exactly. He was pretty close to doing to Maynard what Edgar did to Maynard in the 3rd fight. However he decided to say "nope" and went back to his jogging

This whole giving fighters the benefit of the doubt re: punch resistance is stupid. Since when does it take a finish (or multiple, including one from a takedown in this case) for your chin to get exposed?

The Guida incident is enough on it's own. Everything else just supports the fact that, Gray Maynard has a poor chin.

Anderson Silva got rocked twice by Chael Sonnen. CHAEL SONNEN.

Then he got KTFO by a lazy armpunch by a grappler. Clearly, he has a shit chin.

I don't think his chin is a big problem for getting punched, I really believe he can still take a good one. His biggest problem now is that his opponents probably wont respect him as they did before. Fighting Maynard before the KO's was pretty scary

I don't think Maynard has a bad chin, but he doesn't have the best "flight mode"

Like when he does get rocked and the other person pressures him, he's probably getting finished. He takes a lot of shots before he finally goes out but he makes himself pretty hittable after being rocked

Here's why:

1. Holds the distinction of being the ONLY fighter Frankie Edgar has ever knocked out cold.

2. Dropped by featherfisted Nate Diaz.

3. Knocked himself out...from a takedown.

4. Got stopped in under a minute in his last bout.

5. I don't know if I'm imagining this but I also vividly recall Guida hurting him as well.

As we all know punch resistance is vital in this sport. What do you think of Maynard's?

Gray Maynard definitely does not have a glass chin, he's taken plenty of shots to prove that.

Both TJ Grant and Diaz can KO people so why bash someone. Reminds me of people saying that Cain had a glass chin.

Gray Maynard might be in the downside of his career, but he was a remarkable fighter.

Maynard is the epitome of a glassjaw.

Cuts from 190lbs.

Got KTFO by a Frankie Edgar who has never KOd anyone and can fight @135.

Maynard's chin is disgraceful.

Why are half your posts written in perfect English with good punctuation, then the other half in a fake broken English as if you are Brazilian?

You are full of shit and I have no idea how they still let you post on this site.

Frankie didn't knock him out cold, just knocked him senseless.

After the brutal DDT rob hit him with its no shock his chin has never been the same.

All I have to say is, who cares? Chins are for Neanderthals. We should be talking about how him and Cain and the vast majority of MMA fighters could all eliminate the need for a chin just by learning to move their fucking heads behind their lead shoulder, but fuck good defensive technique in MMA, right?!

Also more worthy of being discussed is how he has awesome power but barely any knockouts to speak of.

i think the maynard vs diaz fight will show who truly is on the down side of their career and who has some fights left in them. i dont want to believe either guy is on the downside but there both in bad positions imo.

All I have to say is, who cares? Chins are for Neanderthals. We should be talking about how him and Cain and the vast majority of MMA fighters could all eliminate the need for a chin just by learning to move their fucking heads behind their lead shoulder, but fuck good defensive technique in MMA, right?!

Also more worthy of being discussed is how he has awesome power but barely any knockouts to speak of.

A solid jaw is the single most important intangible in the fight game.

lol at 'just learning to move their heads'. Mayweather has the best defense in boxing history but it wouldn't mean half as much if there wasn't an iron chin behind it.

Everybody gets hit sometime. Defense/head movement can limit it, but if you've got fine china for a mandible, the minute you get caught you're going to sleep. See: Mir.

Back