Grappling in the Academy

Calfc82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OK i have been in a police academy for a little over 2 months now. WE have hours and hours of defensive training, which so far has consisted of Boxing, Kickboxing, and Krav Maga. I didnt respect Krav Maga too much going in, but i am changing my mind. THe knife defense techniques are pretty practical and the striking part is pretty much muay thai. I was getting bored of this however, and i was dying for them to teach the grappling portion.

This morning i got my wish, even thought they called it TRAP FIGHTING. THe instructor that teaches it seems pretty good, and teaches it very methodically. They showed basic stuff, escape from mount, side control, and the Americana, and let everyone go at it.

Im surprised at how many people have NEVER done this before. I know BJJ has gotten a lot bigger recently, especially with the growing UFC popularity, so it was odd to see and hear everyone giving the ooooohs and aaaaahs when they demonstrated things. During breaks, people asked me how to set up and armbar, and the way they talked to me i felt like Rickson Gracie with everyone crowding me.

There is one other jiujitsu guy in there, who is stealing my thunder :). HE is demonstrating submissions, such as kimura and triangle, when the staff wants us to learn only the basics.
OF course when we started rolling i was all excited, cause it was like being in the room with 100 whitebelts, minus the one blue belt in my class. I pretty much showed my buddies and coached them while grappling on posistioning and what not to do, so they can have an edge in later weeks. I choked them when they gave me their back, armbarred them when they gave an arm, but i was not an asshole about it. I took them aside when everyone else went to rest and helped them out, and put myself in horrible posistions so they could get a feel for it.

However, there is a handful of guys that are not my favorite in the world. So, i dont think i am going to help them too much. IM thinking tommorow im gonna just smash them. What is better than a jerk that comes into your jiujitsu class and you throw your knee in his stomach? Is there any special moves anyone wants me to go for? I will update later, and in a few weeks we get to wrestle the instructors. That will be a trip. Some of them i know are seasoned BJJ guys, and others im pretty sure i can take.

It's police academy, help everyone you can.

I was...we have grappling for a few weeks straight. I was just hoping tommorow throw down. People in this environment dont really listen to you unless you look like you know what you are doing. I gotta establish my position somehow right?

i train with alot of cops in my academy, they go twice a day !!! good for getting out of speeding tickets

Hit at least one flying armbar, and when someone tells you that it's not practical "on the street" punch him in the eye!

you sound like a seasoned white belt to me...

dont be a total dick to the guys or cause them pain.. just dominate them... dont finish the fight to fast. Take mount, move to side, move to back, just control him completely...

Even if no one else gets to see it... The guy will walk away thinking of how much he sucks because you completely controlled him and he knows in his mind he could do nothing.

Gsoares2 said:

dont be a total dick to the guys or cause them pain.. just dominate them... dont finish the fight to fast. Take mount, move to side, move to back, just control him completely...

Even if no one else gets to see it... The guy will walk away thinking of how much he sucks because you completely controlled him and he knows in his mind he could do nothing.

agreed the best thing to do is make him think in his mind he is shit and useless and you're superior

I'm hoping to be joining the police here in the UK soon. Application stage passed, just got the assessments to do (the physical assessment is stupidly easy).

My girlfriend's sister has just joined and the fight training they have sounds like a total joke. All pressure point and wrist locks, nothing else. At least it will give me a laugh.

If you want to go for weird things on other trainees, you have to go for the gogoplata (is that the right name? The choke with your shin).

I sometimes help coach a class where a couple of cops come along. It's kind of sad to think I can take out police officers and I'm 145-160 and 5'5". God knows how they deal with big fat bruiser football fans coming out of the pubs. I also ended up coaching at a seminar I'd originally paid to attend with some wing chun guys a couple of years ago at Crystal Palace alongside Roberto Atalla and Carlson Gracie who also were amazed by simple armbars. Most went away wanting to train BJJ more but I did wonder what the Hell they were being taught.

CalfC82, I would advise you don't "smash" anyone and create bad blood otherwise you may not find yourself very welcome in the future. If the other jiu jitsu guy is showing off more advanced techniques, let him. 2 jiu jitsu guys working to teach a group is going to work out better than 2 guys competing for the attention of the group. be mature about it, accept someone else is experienced in the same martial art and work with this person, not against him. Maybe you can show the basics and leave him to show the flashy stuff to anyone interested. I personally consider the triangles, kimuras/americanas, RNC and Ezekiel chokes basic submissions though, not sure what's advanced about a triangle. Just do your thing and let him do his. I personally think you sound a little insecure about not being the only decent grappler in your academy and should put your ego aside and just enjoy your training, save the competitive attitude for tournaments.

Superbeast, have you seen the physical requirements for UK police officers? They're a joke.

5.4 on the beep test (is that even proper jogging pace?!),
3 pushes and 3 pulls on some sort of resistance machine of over 35kg each,
and some sort of grip strength (not sure of the exact requirement, but based on the others I doubt it's going to be much).

No. I haven't. I am aware of one of their tests though. I believe it goes something like this:

"Are you socially conscious, street smart, qualified in basic maths and English as well as able to work as a dynamic team member assisting the community at large? If so, you are overqualified. Sorry.

if you have drooled on this test, scribbled racist or xenophobic (eg "frogs R gay") phrases on any of these pages or refuse to answer phones regardless of how long they ring or the nature of the call, please make sure to hand this to the desk clerk to ensure a second interview and the opportunity to join the Metropolitan Police, assuming the desk clerk is not in the canteen/pub/toilet/closet getting shafted by a constable."

:)

Not that I'm bitter that it took my local force two days to come round to my place following an attempted break in or that the last time I called to report some vandalism to my property it rang through until the line went dead. Nothing to do with that at all... ;)

Gsoares2 said:

ARe you sure you read my post dude? I never said that im a dick about it or did anything to cause them pain, i said that i showed them what they were doing wrong. They are not going to know why a posistion they put themselves in is wrong until they deal with the consequences of that bad posistion...i dont know who teaches you how to grapple. Ya my buddies, i armbarred them and choked them when they gave it up, but through a half hour of sparring, about 29 mins of that i was talking and coaching them as we rolled.

And like i said, when we were on breaks i was in the corner showing people extra things to help them out and putting myself in bad posistions to let them get a feel for it.

True, i should be helping everyone. I only said i wanted to smash some people because now i will admit, there are some fuckin assholes in there. Dont tell me you have never not liked somebody. As far as the other jiujitsu guys, of course im not competing for attention, im joking around. He is a good guy.

I thought i was pretty clear on how im not being a total dick. Dont make me out to sound like one of those guys. You dont even know me dude.

And by the way, seasoned purple belt under one of the world's top instructors is more like it.

i got owned in bjj today we were doing positions and i have forgot about my wrestling and i got owned

Calfc82 said:
ARe you sure you read my post dude? I never said that im a dick about it or did anything to cause them pain, i said that i showed them what they were doing wrong. They are not going to know why a posistion they put themselves in is wrong until they deal with the consequences of that bad posistion...i dont know who teaches you how to grapple. Ya my buddies, i armbarred them and choked them when they gave it up, but through a half hour of sparring, about 29 mins of that i was talking and coaching them as we rolled.

And like i said, when we were on breaks i was in the corner showing people extra things to help them out and putting myself in bad posistions to let them get a feel for it.

True, i should be helping everyone. I only said i wanted to smash some people because now i will admit, there are some fuckin assholes in there. Dont tell me you have never not liked somebody. As far as the other jiujitsu guys, of course im not competing for attention, im joking around. He is a good guy.

I thought i was pretty clear on how im not being a total dick. Dont make me out to sound like one of those guys. You dont even know me dude.

And by the way, seasoned purple belt under one of the world's top instructors is more like it.

In your original post you were talking about throwing down and smashing them and throwing knees at them. To me, it does sound like you might be kind of a jerk saying that stuff.

Don't get too cocky in the academy dude. I can tell you from experience, it doesn't work that hot on the street. I try to end every fight on my feet. You aren't going to be owning shit in a dark alley behind a bar once you hit the field. And while you are contemplating how bitching you are because you are slapping a RNC on some dude, his buddy just took your gun from your holster. Take it down a notch, all academies are jokes anyway.

Brandinho said:
Don't get too cocky in the academy dude. I can tell you from experience, it doesn't work that hot on the street. I try to end every fight on my feet. You aren't going to be owning shit in a dark alley behind a bar once you hit the field. And while you are contemplating how bitching you are because you are slapping a RNC on some dude, his buddy just took your gun from your holster. Take it down a notch, all academies are jokes anyway.

I hear you on that, however they are doing a pretty good job of teaching us what they can for survival. I realize they cant teach us everything we need to know in such a short time, but we are learning a great deal in the process and starting to think more and more like cops rather than civilians.

I realize its not good to be superman in the street, but grappling is exciting to me and a good stress reliever and it will do everyone a great deal of help to learn this stuff more than not knowing it. Im not a cocky guy, but i do like teaching others how to how to improve. They preach over and over officer safety, but they also want us to be competitive in the physical aspects of the academy. And me having an unfair advantage, realize that others can learn from me if they want to. But, there are still assholes in there that do not want to learn and actually challenged me yesterday, and that is what i am talking about with being a little rougher on people or "smashing" them. I dont mean challenge by asking me to roll, i mean challenge like they wanted to be rough and competitive.

If they dont want to learn, and are dicks about it, then what else is there to do? In every jiujitsu class you make them learn. They either learn or they dont come back unfortunately. Where do you work by the way?

Nothing is more fun than knee-riding someone then spinning around and knee-riding them on the other side, mix in a few mounts for fun. You can do this for as long as you want until you feel their sufficiently frustrated than finish with a 180 armbar or switch to reverse knee-ride and finish with a leglock. Sometimes people get so tired of the knee grinding in their stomach that they just give you their back so you will finish it faster.

Superbeast said:
I sometimes help coach a class where a couple of cops come along. It's kind of sad to think I can take out police officers and I'm 145-160 and 5'5". God knows how they deal with big fat bruiser football fans coming out of the pubs. I also ended up coaching at a seminar I'd originally paid to attend with some wing chun guys a couple of years ago at Crystal Palace alongside Roberto Atalla and Carlson Gracie who also were amazed by simple armbars. Most went away wanting to train BJJ more but I did wonder what the Hell they were being taught.

CalfC82, I would advise you don't "smash" anyone and create bad blood otherwise you may not find yourself very welcome in the future. If the other jiu jitsu guy is showing off more advanced techniques, let him. 2 jiu jitsu guys working to teach a group is going to work out better than 2 guys competing for the attention of the group. be mature about it, accept someone else is experienced in the same martial art and work with this person, not against him. Maybe you can show the basics and leave him to show the flashy stuff to anyone interested. I personally consider the triangles, kimuras/americanas, RNC and Ezekiel chokes basic submissions though, not sure what's advanced about a triangle. Just do your thing and let him do his. I personally think you sound a little insecure about not being the only decent grappler in your academy and should put your ego aside and just enjoy your training, save the competitive attitude for tournaments.

Superbeast gives the best advice.

As for the wing chun guys not knowing armbars...

Ha ha dude. I didn't even know an RNC when I started Sambo. And I'd been doing TKD since I was a kid. I just gave them my back and let them choke me out. It was total instinct to turn my back to them to try and escape the mount. And don't even get me started about the Americana!!! My arm just fell into that position when I got taken down. Almost like I was begging them to submit me with it. One thing that I think about submission grapping that is cool is that almost every instinct you have is wrong. Someone is on your chest, you want to get the weight off you, you push up, armbar. Someone is on top of you, you want to get up, flip over and get on all fours to crawl to your feet, RNC. Etc, etc.

I've never taken Wing Chun but I don't think they have real ground work. They have 'trapping exercises' for stand up. So it is not surprising that they don't know what an armbar was.

You're 2 months in and still thinking about showing off? You're 2 months in and want to embarass a few of your class mates?

What academy hasn't ran/push-uped/memo-ed that out of you yet? Help all your class mates and they will be there to pull you through the modules you have difficulty with. Pull together as a team and the instructors will back off. That finish line at 24 weeks is along way away from week 8 to be jerk.

You've started gaining your reputation. Your future department will know all about it before you hit roll call #1. This is serious stuff, treat it like such.

Back