Graham Hancock and the ancient civilization theory

Do you think this theory is correct?

• Total voters
Yes I am.

I don't understand why you are so invested in Hancock being right about this.

That's what I find so funny and interesting.

His stories are fun to think about. It could lead to fun books, movies and TV shows but you don't actually get anything out of it but you vehemently defend him based on nothing tangible
I don't think he's proven anything, so I'm not sure where we would argue. He makes a relatively good circumstantial case, people can buy the basic or specific premises or not. In specifics, I'd guess he's wrong, in general he's almost certainly correct, just depends on how you define the advancement of the civilizations we know next to nothing about.

I don't think he's proven anything, so I'm not sure where we would argue. He makes a relatively good circumstantial case, people can buy the basic or specific premises or not. In specifics, I'd guess he's wrong, in general he's almost certainly correct, just depends on how you define the advancement of the civilizations we know next to nothing about.

Lol ok

Did you know geology had zero clue until 2007 that our planet got fucked sideways, leading to a mass extinction event, by the disintegrating nucleus of what appears to have been a large comet?

That was yesterday, geologically...I think you vastly overestimate the ease with which geology detects things. You're talking about finding traces of a potentially 15k year old civilization and it took us until 2007 to finally notice cometary fragments smashed up earth 12k years ago.

Like I said earlier, a civilization capable of a steam engine would leave an immense marker behind, I'm curious, this will be telling, how large do you think this civilization would be?

Like I said earlier, a civilization capable of a steam engine would leave an immense marker behind, I'm curious, this will be telling, how large do you think this civilization would be?

Big enough to prove him right and small enough to prove you wrong lol

I'm not even convinced it existed, there are reasonable reputations for most of Hancock's theories. I took issue specifically with your stance that if it happened we'd see it everywhere. I don't agree with that in the way you framed it. There are climatological reasons why I think perhaps we may be the first truly global civilization...not least of which is the unusual length of the interglacial we live in, the Holocene. It's been an unusually warm and stable period.

I'm not even convinced it existed, there are reasonable reputations for most of Hancock's theories. I took issue specifically with your stance that if it happened we'd see it everywhere. I don't agree with that in the way you framed it. There are climatological reasons why I think perhaps we may be the first truly global civilization...not least of which is the unusual length of the interglacial we live in, the Holocene. It's been an unusually warm and stable period.

There is very little chance a small isolated society could advance this quickly. The invention of the Steam Engine cannot be attributed simply to Thomas Savery and the city of London, it's really the product of all of humanity or at the very least the societies of Eurasia that provided the societal and technical foundation for Savery to build it. From the very first domestication and farming techniques discovered in the fertile crescent to the application of writing, mathematics, physics and all the steps required in between that were shared and built upon until the Steam Engine eventually was discovered. Any endeavor this large leaves a definitive mark on the archaeological, geological, botanical, biological record of the planet. I may be behind on the research but I have seen no indication of this for his hypothesis.

There is very little chance a small isolated society could advance this quickly. The invention of the Steam Engine cannot be attributed simply to Thomas Savery and the city of London, it's really the product of all of humanity or at the very least the societies of Eurasia that provided the societal and technical foundation for Savery to build it. From the very first domestication and farming techniques discovered in the fertile crescent to the application of writing, mathematics, physics and all the steps required in between that were shared and built upon until the Steam Engine eventually was discovered. Any endeavor this large leaves a definitive mark on the archaeological, geological, botanical, biological record of the planet. I may be behind on the research but I have seen no indication of this for his hypothesis.
Well, his theory is highly speculative regardless of how convincing different people find it. If what you described above were proved true, it wouldn't be speculation anymore.

Keep in mind everything is bullshit...until it's not. Megalithic construction superior to Stonehenge wasn't possible prior, until Gobekli Tepe was found 6k years prior in the record. The city of Troy was a fantasy...until it was found.

Well, his theory is highly speculative regardless of how convincing different people find it. If what you described above were proved true, it wouldn't be speculation anymore.

Keep in mind everything is bullshit...until it's not. Megalithic construction superior to Stonehenge wasn't possible prior, until Gobekli Tepe was found 6k years prior in the record. The city of Troy was a fantasy...until it was found.

You're absolutely right, if we find more evidence (especially converging lines) more people including myself will be convinced. Until then it's just a fringe hypothesis.

You're absolutely right, if we find more evidence (especially converging lines) more people including myself will be convinced. Until then it's just a fringe hypothesis.
Well yeah.

This is a particularly interesting topic because it's fantastic in its claims but still based in reality based territory. I can't stand pure fiction writing, novels bore me, this allows me to get the same escape in a subject that's both speculative and professionally researched.

I think Hancock is generally right about previous civilization, but I'm not saying it's been proven by any means and there's reasons to believe he's wrong outside even the lack of hard evidence, which include what I mentioned above about the Holocene duration.

My stance would be that a seafaring culture in the ice age probably existed, crossing oceans. This is already found in the South American "native" gene pool (australasian) and we know the Vikings came to America across the Atlantic. Perhaps that is a good place to leave it for now.

You haven't read my posts well enough at all.

Yes I have.

You've been posting about this topic for years and you try to appear impartial on the subject but you've never wavered on your support.

You want Graham to be right. And I kind of get it. It's a fun topic to discuss and think about.

But he has no evidence supporting him.

You guys need to chill out,

Jesus only died like 2000 years ago...

I'm not even convinced it existed, there are reasonable reputations for most of Hancock's theories. I took issue specifically with your stance that if it happened we'd see it everywhere. I don't agree with that in the way you framed it.

If everything about what we know about human beings is true it's that migration has always been part of human behavior. I do not believe for a moment that a civilization could get that advanced and there wouldn't be migration and a population explosion along with it. I can't wrap my head around a civilization getting that advanced and not venturing out. I don't think it would be realistic or possible as it would be hundreds of years leading up to the civilization's peak which would have resulted in mass migrations and population explosions.

There are climatological reasons why I think perhaps we may be the first truly global civilization...not least of which is the unusual length of the interglacial we live in, the Holocene. It's been an unusually warm and stable period.

Which would be all the more reason to think they didn't get as advanced as some are suggesting. Let me put it this way...if the world was chaotic to the point that migrations weren't possible then you wouldn't have the kind of advancements that are being suggested in the first place because it would have been too chaotic to get there.

And just think...

There are iceberg's more the 5-6 thousand years older the Jesus...
I think I just found my new religion.

giphy.gif

They don't look for the evidence. Why would you look for something you have already decided isn't there?

Back