Graham Hancock and the ancient civilization theory

Do you think this theory is correct?

• Total voters

VivaRevolution

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

So I recommend watching the last video, over the others.

The pictures of scale of this event is what moved me on this.

Here is the theory for those unaware.

A meteor strike happened about 12,800 years ago. This wiped human civilization off the map. This is where the flood stories come from.

For those that remember my thread on the 40,000 year old Denisovan bracelet with fixed drilling technology, it is discussed in the top video.

I am interested in seeing a debunk of this, but I will note, I am no longer open to the Clovis first theory. I believe that has been completely debunked.

Discuss..........

Last edited:
Thanks, even if it isn't true, it is fascinating. I am actually writing a sci-fi story where something similar happens.

edit: last video is 3 and a half hour... any highlights??

Thanks, even if it isn't true, it is fascinating. I am actually writing a sci-fi story where something similar happens.

edit: last video is 3 and a half hour... any highlights??

So hard to cliff that video.

I changed the order of the videos, btw. The last one is the good one now. The second to the last one is where Hancock and a debunker debate.

I recommend going to about 1:40 in the last video to see the pictures in Eastern Washington state, where you can see geological features of a scale that are mind blowing.

Of course he's correct. I can basically destroy an logical argument to the contrary.

Human beings are AT LEAST 200k years old in modern form. That means you take a homo sapien sapien from 150k years ago, dress him up in modern clothes and give him a shave, he's exactly the same as we are today. Same brain case, same everything. Should we expect they weren't similarly ambitious and attempting all the same progress we are today?

You're going to honestly argue, and academia does, that advanced* civilization hasn't risen and fallen several times in those time periods between us and 200k years ago? Gimme a break. And it just so happens we know absolutely nothing about what was going on before the Younger Dryas cold snap (mild description of an event that would cripple our current civilization).

Written history, the vast majority of what we know, happens from about 6k years ago until today. And it just so happens, that the greatest mass extinction event of large animals since the fall of the dinosaurs happened LITERALLY in the backyard of our own written history, the Pleistocene mass extinction event. Gee, wonder if that has something to do with he fact human beings don't seem to have a history beyond Sumer and that it "starts" 6k years ago after 190k+ years of history prior. What were we doing that whole time prior? Why do know almost nothing about what human beings are doing culturally.

Everyone should do a thought exercise and for a second forget the nonsense idea of overkill theory by humans...which is nonsense of the highest order. Over 100 species of megamammals died in the Pleistocene mass extinction event roughly 12k years ago, that's for animals over 125lbs in body weight. The American Lion, Short Faced Bear, Ground Sloth, Mastodon, Wooly Mammoth, Wooly Rhinocerous, etc...all of them died in a period of time so short they couldn't reproduce. The amount of species loss of animals over 125 lbs in body weight is the equivalent to the amount of animals over 125 lbs in body weight that still exist today. Yes, we lost half of the species on earth that weighed over 125lbs in body weight...in about 1000 years (some existed on for a time in diminished number and small populations). Now consider what sort of event has to take place to cause something like that.

The answer is pretty simple to honest brokers of information. The world got SERIOUSLY fucked up between 12,800 years ago and 11,600 years ago. Nobody disputes this...the Younger Dryas was a 1200 year environmental and extinction level catastrophe.

So yeah, without getting into the weeds, Hancock is almost certainly correct. The question is to what extent did civilization rise?

Edit: the mega mammal referral is about land animals, we don't have an accurate recording of sea animals from the period.

Last edited:
So hard to cliff that video.

I changed the order of the videos, btw. The last one is the good one now. The second to the last one is where Hancock and a debunker debate.

I recommend going to about 1:40 in the last video to see the pictures in Eastern Washington state, where you can see geological features of a scale that are mind blowing.

word, I had #961 on for like 12minutes, but will switch to #723. Hopefully I can listen to it all, will have it on in the background as I draw, instead of my normal music lol.

word, I had #961 on for like 12minutes, but will switch to #723. Hopefully I can listen to it all, will have it on in the background as I draw, instead of my normal music lol.

Look up when they show the pictures. That really is what made me take this theory seriously.

Hancock's theories and overall understanding of culture and civilization are impressive and very interesting.

I would suggest you look into Randall Carlson's understanding of the megafaunal mass extinctions at the end of the last ice age if you really want to understand why we shouldn't expect to be finding tons of evidence (even though we're probably confronted by a lot of it we have misidentified) of what humans were doing culturally and in terms of civilization going back into the last ice age.

Hancock's theories and overall understanding of culture and civilization are impressive and very interesting.

I would suggest you look into Randall Carlson's understanding of the megafaunal mass extinctions at the end of the last ice age if you really want to understand why we shouldn't expect to be finding tons of evidence (even though we're probably confronted by a lot of it we have misidentified) of what humans were doing culturally and in terms of civilization going back into the last ice age.

got any good links/videos? will check them out after this

Of course he's correct. I can basically destroy an logical argument to the contrary.

Human beings are AT LEAST 200k years old in modern form. That means you take a homo sapien sapien from 150k years ago, dress him up in modern clothes and give him a shave, he's exactly the same as we are today. Same brain case, same everything.

You're going to honestly argue, and academia does, that advanced* civilization hasn't risen and fallen several times in those time periods between us and 200k years ago? Gimme a break.

Written history, the vast majority of what we know, happens from about 6k years ago until today. And it just so happens, that the greatest mass extinction event of large animals since the fall of the dinosaurs happened LITERALLY in the backyard of our own written history, the Pleistocene mass extinction event. Gee, wonder if that has something to do with he fact human beings don't seem to have a history beyond Sumer and that it "starts" 6 years ago after 190k+ years of history prior. What were we doing that whole time prior? Why do know almost nothing about what human beings are doing culturally.

Everyone should do a thought exercise and for a second forget the nonsense idea of overkill theory by humans...which is nonsense of the highest order. Over 100 species of megamammals died in the Pleistocene mass extinction event roughly 12k years ago, that's for animals over 125lbs in body weight. The American Lion, Short Faced Bear, Ground Sloth, Mastodon, Wooly Mammoth, Wooly Rhinocerous, etc...all of them died in a period of time so short they couldn't reproduce. The amount of species loss of animals over 125 lbs in body weight is the equivalent to the amount of animals over 125 lbs in body weight that still exist today. Yes, we lost half of the species on earth that weighed over 125lbs in body weight...in about 1000 years (some existed on for a time in diminished number and small populations). Now consider what sort of event has to take place to cause something like that.

The answer is pretty simple to honest brokers of information. The world got SERIOUSLY fucked up between 12,800 years ago and 11,600 years ago. Nobody disputes this...the Younger Dryas was a 1200 year environmental and extinction level catastrophe.

So yeah, without getting into the weeds, Hancock is almost certainly correct. The question is to what extent did civilization rise?

This is an interesting topic, when you say "advanced" civilization, what do you mean? Can you give an equivalent decade/epoch of the mainstream understanding of human civilization.

Human beings are AT LEAST 200k years old in modern form. That means you take a homo sapien sapien from 150k years ago, dress him up in modern clothes and give him a shave, he's exactly the same as we are today. Same brain case, same everything.

You're going to honestly argue, and academia does, that advanced* civilization hasn't risen and fallen several times in those time periods between us and 200k years ago? Gimme a break.

Written history, the vast majority of what we know, happens from about 6k years ago until today. And it just so happens, that the greatest mass extinction event of large animals since the fall of the dinosaurs happened LITERALLY in the backyard of our own written history, the Pleistocene mass extinction event. Gee, wonder if that has something to do with he fact human beings don't seem to have a history beyond Sumer and that it "starts" 6 years ago after 190k+ years of history prior. What were we doing that whole time prior? Why do know almost nothing about what human beings are doing culturally.

What is really interesting about this theory to me, is that it could potentially act as the unifying force that aliens would be, without the aliens.

That this could be the external threat that could unite humanity.

I mean if we knew that a comet fragment nearly wiped out life on this planet in relative modern history, then every bit of resource that is currently being aimed at national defense, would demand that these resources go to near earth object defense.

Hard to argue China or Russia justifies our defense spending when we know a NEO almost wiped out life on Earth less than 13,000 years ago.

This is an interesting topic, when you say "advanced" civilization, what do you mean? Can you give an equivalent decade/epoch of the mainstream understanding of human civilization.

Mayan/Egyptian level of civilization.

Part of his theory involves why we see the 3rd eye across the world in ancient civilizations, which he explains with a older religion. This would mean a religion based on mind altering substances, which would call into question what a civilization based on magic mushrooms would look like.

got any good links/videos? will check them out after this
any of his talks with Rogan are interesting, start with this first one, there's been 3 or 4 at least. His understanding of geology and earth history rivals and probably surpasses most all field geologists...

If you want to get a simple understanding and a modern example of the effects of rocks from space on our planet, read his 4 part article series about the 1908 Tunguska air blast. It was a very minor bollide object object from space that entered our atmosphere that just flattened millions of trees in Siberia...and it exploded high in the atmosphere. Terrifying stuff really.

https://sacredgeometryinternational.com/tunguska-the-great-siberian-thunderbolt-part-1/

I can only tell you what Hancock thinks, and he basis this level conservatively on how he feels the world was mapped in pre history...which is pretty convincing that they did. He says at least 18th century level technology, perhaps 19th.

That guess is ignoring ancient constructions which may or may not go back (or be a legacy of knowledge of) to previous civilizations, and have been misidentified. He (nor I) believe the pyramids in Egypt for example go back further than modern dating of Old Kingdom Egypt (5.5k years bp)...but stuff like the Oserion, which is unusually advanced in it's construction methods might go back further.

Mayan/Egyptian level of civilization.

Part of his theory involves why we see the 3rd eye across the world in ancient civilizations, which he explains with a older religion. This would mean a religion based on mind altering substances, which would call into question what a civilization based on magic mushrooms would look like.

The development of a civilization equivalent to the Egyptian/Mayans would be primarily due to the development of more advanced social systems based off of an agricultural surplus and the discovery of metal. In such a system the better off could devote their full attention to other matters (warfare, construction, invention, philosophy) without needing to worry where their next meal was coming from. Plants would need to be domesticated and I'm wondering if tracing the DNA of staples like rice, wheat, barley and other grains could give us a family tree and point us locations of origin. That could give us a clue as to where to look.

I can only tell you what Hancock thinks, and he basis this level conservatively on how he feels the world was mapped in pre history...which is pretty convincing that they did. He says at least 18th century level technology, perhaps 19th.

That guess is ignoring ancient constructions which may or may not go back (or be a legacy of knowledge of) to previous civilizations, and have been misidentified. He (nor I) believe the pyramids in Egypt for example go back further than modern dating of Old Kingdom Egypt (5.5k years bp)...but stuff like the Oserion, which is unusually advanced in it's construction methods might go back further.

Ehhh, the world pre-calculus/industrial revolution, compared to the world of the Roman empire isn't very far apart.

So I recommend watching the last video, over the others.

The pictures of scale of this event is what moved me on this.

Here is the theory for those unaware.

A meteor strike happened about 12,800 years ago. This wiped human civilization off the map. This is where the flood stories come from.

For those that remember my thread on the 40,000 year old Denisovan bracelet with fixed drilling technology, it is discussed in the top video.

I am interested in seeing a debunk of this, but I will note, I am no longer open to the Clovis first theory. I believe that has been completely debunked.

Discuss..........

I would also caveat that there is a burgeoning amount of evidence that suggests there was a cosmic impact 12.8k BUT we don't know why, in 11,600k years ago, the planet warmed EVEN MORE RAPIDLY than it had cooled 1200 years prior when the impact was supposed to have happened.

It's a scientific fact that at 11.6k years ago, the geological end of the Younger Dryas, global temperatures rose 18 degree F in as little as 10 years time...perhaps less, 10 years is the minimum number they can pinpoint the temp rise down to. It could have been a year...or less. Think about that in the context of current global warming. What we are seeing on the planet today IS NOTHING compared to what happened at the end of the Younger Dryas.

In that show on history channel life after humans.......there is basically nothing left of even cities in 5,000-10,000 years later.

We could have had many rises and falls in 200,000 years.

I would also caveat that there is a burgeoning amount of evidence that suggests there was a cosmic impact 12.8k BUT we don't know why, in 11,600k years ago, the planet warmed EVEN MORE RAPIDLY than it had cooled 1200 years prior when the impact was supposed to have happened.

It's a scientific fact that at 11.6k years ago, the geological end of the Younger Dryas, global temperatures rose 18 degree F in as little as 10 years time...perhaps less, 10 years is the minimum number they can pinpoint the temp rise down to. It could have been a year...or less. Think about that in the context of current global warming. What we are seeing on the planet today IS NOTHING compared to what happened at the end of the Younger Dryas.

Doesn't he basically argue that the warming was likely due to the strike?

Basically the idea being that the air born debris blocked the sun causing the cooling, until the sun could break through, and then the remaining debris acted as a greenhouse gas, trapping the sun's heat?

Ehhh, the world pre-calculus/industrial revolution, compared to the world of the Roman empire isn't very far apart.
The accumulation of knowledge is very different. The romans are not the pinnacle of known history either, we just know more about them than old kingdom Egypt, who was seemingly doing vastly more difficult things on vastly different scales...many of the things they were doing are puzzling with our modern understanding, which is why we resort to things like "they had a lot of time on their hands" as a lazy excuse to explain the overwhelming architectural achievements they were able to complete.

Back