Grading in Muay Thai

Lard-ass said:
In my gym we have different classes in wich you train, beginners, advanced and fighting. No need for grading IMO, you get a feeling how good you are depending on how bad you get your ass kicked during sparring.
Makes sense to me.

I think for sparring purposes grading is a good idea - nothing worse than being put in with someone signifcantly more skilled than you...

Ive heard of some gyms giving arm bands as grades. I think its definetly western influence, as Ive never heard of Thais doing it. My old gym started doing ranks when my old Laosian instructor left. I switched gyms but for other reasons, although I was against ranks.

Nothing better than being put in with someone better than you, IMO. If they have any decency at all, they'll step down to a level just above yours and bring you up. Sparring is where the bulk of learning occurs, in my experience, and the better your opponent, the better for you.

Some of the toughest fighters ever produced on this planet are Kyokushin fighters where grading is part of training. (Any hug/ Semmy Schilt 2 most known)

Grading is good in that its like getting a degree from uni/colldge it might just be a belt or a piece of paper and with out the paper or belt u still have the skills but it distinguishes u in a class or in society as to what lvl of skill or acomplishment u have acheived.

As long as the school doesnt make u grade and charge extrodinary amounts for gradings as part of a money making scheme i dont think there is a problem.

in brazil all the academy grades so i guess is the same in your country.

but as you have to pay a tax that is a litlle expensive(70 reais [aprox 40 dolars]), there are lots of fighters that just stay white. It isnt a problem, because if you are competing it doesnt matter your kruang(string around the arm).

now would you answer a noob question for me too? what is TJJ? is tradicional jujitsu?

Grading would be cool but kind of weird. It seems like it would evolve into some sort of fucked up TKD pay to get your belt thing.

At my gym the only signifying thing is whether you're allowed to wear thai shorts or not. You have to either test for them or fight and show MT ability to be allowed to wear them.

Hmm we don't grade, but then again we're a school club and we just train and fight, so no money is being made.

Usually the only kind of "grading" happens during sparring and it's pretty easy to tell who's better in a round or two.

ps: i didnt made myself clear, here you don't grade in your academy, but in the federation, thats the reason of the tax

and the thais do grade

I hate when gyms go Corporate, and need some sort of grade-structure with which to base charging money on.

never heard of sell-out MT gyms until now that it's popular. maybe some need the money to keep it running?

grading and belts are the americanized version of MT, meant for little kids to feel a sense of accomplishment...only your performance in the ring truly matters

At our school, Matee will give Prajioud based on what he thinks of your skill. Other than that, there's no specific test, kata or anything like that.

He's basically putting together fighters, etc. Obviously, as we all know, Prajioud are directly related to Muay Thai.

There should not be grading in MT. Unfortunately some Western and Europe schools do this because they can cash in. Some people think it is a good idea and I did this shit as a kid. I've been fortunate enough to visit Muay Thai land :p and train back here at home with real MMA fighters..

If you're beginning though and you're learning, I guess it's good.

sounds like the school that the ts described is by all means a mcdojo. charging for belts and promotions, is petty bad. but then again, if the gym does have some awsome fighters, then it can't be that bad. you just need to weigh what is better for you.

In my gym we have different classes in wich you train, beginners, advanced and fighting. No need for grading IMO, you get a feeling how good you are depending on how bad you get your ass kicked during sparring.

yea same with mine , but ders also an option where you can do session somethin like a test but its really juss to see whether you're ready to spar and if you're in shape or improving. You get a nice certificate of appreciation or whatever and a nice new shirt. But there's like 3 levels, beginner, advanced and competitive where they'll start giving you fights i guess if you want to.

Sounds like a place in my area. Im thinking its a McDojo but Im not really sure.

Link: http://web.ukonline.co.uk/wrexhamthaiboxing/wtb.htm
I don't know what the fuck is going on there, Your club abit like that??
It has good and bad points
Good:
- There is sparring, I was walked past one time and saw the sparring, I focused on one hard looking guy and he was doing the correct fighting stance so thought it was ok.
- Theres a fighters class which suggests, People who really want to fight can go there and learn something.
-Some fighters from there have fought in the ring (Don't know how well they have done)
- Alot of members

Bad:
-Instructor is not well known, Says he has sparred with former world champions but when I google them I find nothing! Also he has done some other McDojo type MA.
-Theres the belt grading system
-I see alot of out of shape people walking around sporting the T-shirts
- No Ring or heavy bags
- Classes take place in different sportshalls every week, apposed to1 location.

Theres probably more good and bad points, Check the link if you wish. I've avoided that place like the plague, Don't know if Im right too but if your gym is like that which it sounds quite like to me then maybe find somewhere else!
-

to be honest i think its bullshit!!!!!

do you spar? if yes then you know how good you are, you dont need someone to tell you with a fancy belt

as MT becomes the first choice for those who want to start training as karate was a few years ago they'll be given them out like like candy

and paying for a uniform, for fucks sake man

why the fuck do you need a uniform?

are you there to train or look nice?

can you imagine this happening in boxing, not on your life, because its real,

Back