Grading in Muay Thai

Ive done MT for 4 years..never been graded and if anyone handed me a grading sheet id whipe my ass with it..Only way to be graded is to get in a ring and test your skills

TapDG said:
Ive done MT for 4 years..never been graded and if anyone handed me a grading sheet id whipe my ass with it..Only way to be graded is to get in a ring and test your skills

I really couldn't agree more with you.

My gym just started a grading program about 6 months ago with 5 grades. It does cost to take your test (demonstrate techniques, spar, etc.) but you aren't required to grade and can still move into the more advanced classes when you and our trainer (Giuseppe DeNatale) feel you're ready. I don't think it's a bad idea, it lets the people who want to work towards something (even though it may not mean anything) to do so and doesn't force those who want to prove themselves in the ring to take a test they don't want to. A lot of people say grades/belts are only in McDojo's but our gym is definately not one, we have many fighters pro and amatuer and we put on the biggest and best shows that I know of in Canada.

The arm bands (kata sp?) should not be used for rankings. They are used to place amulets inside and are decorated based on gym, location, background, etc. They have a very similar role as the monkong. Like the relationship with kru and monk, they serve another purpose. IMO, very disrespectful if speaking about pure muay thai.

exactly what i was going to say. the armbands in thailand are blessed by monks and contain written prayers rolled up inside.

katolotus said:
I'm in Bedford and the club is EAST AREA. I'm told they win quite a bit and have a good rep. Not really worried as long as I'm learning, which I am. My only really complaint is the sessions aren't long enough at 1 hour. Could do with a longer session. Cost is

Nothing wrong with that. It's a good teaching style to have a sort of curilculim to test and such. It gives positive reinforcement for the student that he is actually progressing and is also in a way a test for the instructor to see if he is teaching you correctly. It also gives you a good base so when your instructor teaches you new techniques and combinations it will flow much easier because you don't have to work on your punching or kicking technique because you have already got it down.

Stick with the school.

katolotus said:
What's Wai Kru & Ram Muay?

I always forget which is which but its the dance they do before the fight. Walking around the ring and touching all four corners and then doing a dance.

Just looks like another way for someone to line their pockets

I can't find a Muay Thai gym near me. The only few ones are about 2+ hours away.

Bottom line is, are you learning? If you are, stick with the school.

Elpresidente said:
Some Gyms (in the UK anyway) have introduced a grading system. IMO it is pointless. I believe it was Master Sken who came up with the system.

im looking to join a master sken club

grading are good- only if it allows a distintion between level- so that considering how good you are /experience you can get the right attention

stu3ufc said:
im looking to join a master sken club

grading are good- only if it allows a distintion between level- so that considering how good you are /experience you can get the right attention

Sken is apparently a great trainer.

My instructor trained under Master Toddy (who is in vegas now I believe)

Our gym implimented them.. It's not an unreasonable idea. A majority of the people attending muay thai classes aren't there to train for fighting or competition, they are there because it's a great workout and has lots of practical applications. I figure the arm bands are more for them than for me, who is there to train to fight.

On the flip side as a fighter, my trainer likes me to wear mine so when we have a person coming in for their first class, they kind of see that I am a little more seasoned and hopefully feel comfortable working with me as I help them learn the basics.

As long as the gradeing isnt tons of cash i wouldnt worry I know alot of it has to do with keeping people intrested and showing their improvement, but sometimes it is just for the money becareful...lol

Back