Grading in Muay Thai

sounds to me like a way to make a buck.. i would just say "not interested.. i'll just come in and train, thanks very much!"

That is where I get confused. How can you have a master (Master Sken) if there is not belt system. There are no "masters" in boxing.

It is a way to sell memberships. Just like karate, it became a way to label yourself; "I am a blue belt in Muay Thai". Pretty soon other schools will make it easier to get a belt.......

BTW... I don't necessarily mind promotion systems. If you break down each move and force testing, you can produce good results. The problem with promotions comes from the owner putting business before quality. When I train a fighter I rate every aspect of their game. I have an excel spreadsheet and I have all aspects broken down (stand-up). You can see patterns that help you determine what type of training protocol or area of conditioning/skills to work. I share where we are and let them know results. I guess that is an informal process. Many coaches do not have a system of helping their fighters. They just point things out as they see them and do not keep records.

What has the instructor done and who has he trained? Never sign a year contract. They will always let you do month to month if you look like you will pay EFT. Get it in writing and not on the contract that you signed.

lol, I was at a party last weekend and a kid said he was a black belt in mu thei.

Well for one, Muay Thai in the US and Muay Thai in Thailand are two entirely different things; in the US it's adapted more to MMA and BJJ so if you want to have a "belt rank" (although that pic of the kung fu kids doing MT made me want to stab myself) go for it. And its ok to not have rank in Thailand where you may have several trainers working with small groups of students who live and work with them everyday for years, but here when you have 1 trainer to 40 + students it helps to be able to seperate along lines of skill level so everyone gets the help they need.

Gym' need to make money. The advertised cost for classes is usually lower than it could be because the gym also wants you to pay for gradings etc. A muay thai uniform sounds a little bit strange, our coach sells shorts, dvd's anklets etc and can source equipment and clothing for you but it isn't even necessary. Our rules state you have to get a camp t-shirt for exactly the same reason as gradings.

You can be idealistic and say that a good school with excellent coaching an reputation shouldn't need to rely on gradings for money - the mebership an class fees alone should cover all the costs involved in running a gym (rent, rates, water+sewearge, electricity/gas, equipment costs, any other costs such as decoration etc) but western people have different value systems to eastern people (massive generalisation, i know) and thus expect some sort of scale from which to learn and also something concrete which to display.

There is nothing wrong with have different training times for different levels of students. I don't like karate belts in Muay Thai. The fighters the gym produces should be the indication of the quality of instruction. If you are training, clinching, and sparring together, everyone knows where that stand anyways...

I'd never train at a place where there was so many students I couldn't have a personal relationship with the instructor. I've tried it a couple of times, and it sucks. By far my greatest training experiences have been in groups of 15 or less. Right now I train with only about 10 guys, all of whom are serious about being professional fighters. I guess that might be unrealistic in other parts of the world in this day and age though.

I keep my classes around 10-12 for that very reason. I need to get pad time with each student and can't do that with 20+ people in a training session. I most likely have the smallest team in the area, but have the most authentic Muay Thai also. One of my fighters is fighting at Ratchadamnoen stadium in a few weeks. No one else around here can say anything close to that.

I don't make much for teaching Muay, but don't really want to either...so it works out.

I keep my classes around 10-12 for that very reason. I need to get pad time with each student and can't do that with 20+ people in a training session. I most likely have the smallest team in the area, but have the most authentic Muay Thai also. One of my fighters is fighting at Ratchadamnoen stadium in a few weeks. No one else around here can say anything close to that.

I don't make much for teaching Muay, but don't really want to either...so it works out.

WOW! you are my hero!

Just started doing some Muay Thai at a local club to suppliment my BJJ and TJJ. Been going 6 weeks now and really enjoying it and improving really quickly. Have gloves, shin pads, mouth guard, jock-strap and have been learning basic stance, leg kicks, checking kicks (very useful) and basic movement.

After paying up for my life membership and insurance. I got given all the stuff about the club, including price list of equipment, membership card, insurance and a grading list!

Never thought you graded in MT, thought it was like boxing (don't tell me you grade in boxing as well). There's techniques to learn and show infront of a 3 person grading panel for each grade. There's about 8-10 grades. Starting at white. Guessing the string bands around people's biceps are there grading.

Do all MT clubs grade? Hope this isn't a noob question. I've graded in Aikido, TJJ and am hoping to get my blue belt in BJJ at some point. Now looks like I can grade in MT as well! Not sure if I need to or not. Is it like in other TMA where you can only progress if you grade?

Grading is NOT part of Muay Thai.

Back