Gracies break down the Werdum triangle

Raid3n

White Belt
Reaction score
Good breakdown of the Fedor fight.

Last edited:
Pretty interesting, but it wasnt really anything tricky or slick. Just a standard case of getting triangled. I was shocked to see Fedor get nailed with the basic shit.

Awesome video. Thanks for the post. :icon_arro

He will be back! It IMO was a wake up call, he needs to train with what I think are "more dynamic" Grapplers !

Pretty interesting, but it wasnt really anything tricky or slick. Just a standard case of getting triangled. I was shocked to see Fedor get nailed with the basic shit.

The basics work. People can try to learn all the slick moves they want but the bottom line is when executed properly, the basics work time and time again.

The basics work. People can try to learn all the slick moves they want but the bottom line is when executed properly, the basics work time and time again.

Tell Eddie Bravo that

I'd be way more shocked if he got subbed by a gogoplata from half guard than by a basic triangle.

It would have been interested to see how it would have panned out if Fedor hadn't hit the cage and bounced back into Werdum's triangle. I'm pretty sure that if he hadn't Fedor would have either smashed Werdum's leg and gotten side control or pulled his arm out.

I want to see Fedor break down these two punks...

I love how these guys will go on and on about how "Sports jiu-jitsu" is terrible in a fight, and you need to do TRUE Gracie Jiu-Jitsu under them in order to be able to defend yourself... then as soon as a "sports BJJ" guy does something legendary in a real fight, they're all over it saying that's the same thing they do, and trying to make a buck off it even though they were saying it's totally different than what they do weeks earlier.

these guys are too much.

I love how these guys will go on and on about how "Sports jiu-jitsu" is terrible in a fight, and you need to do TRUE Gracie Jiu-Jitsu under them in order to be able to defend yourself... then as soon as a "sports BJJ" guy does something legendary in a real fight, they're all over it saying that's the same thing they do, and trying to make a buck off it even though they were saying it's totally different than what they do weeks earlier.

these guys are too much.

Yah, but they break it down nice, so we don't mind. Am I right, or am I right?

Fun break down for sure, the little things like the armlock bringing Fedor back in more and stuff are interesting.

Would have liked them to mention the Cage being the main reason Fedor ended up back in Werdum's guard.

even though it wasn't

Really? What do you think it was? I saw Fedor doing just fine, circling away while punching, all the way around 360 degree's until he ran into the cage. You think Werdum pulled him back in or threw his leg around before Fedor runs into the cage? And you don't think Fedor not having anywhere to continue to circle didn't come into play?

Im not trying to discredit the Triangle at all, or the win. I think it was a great display of ground work and shows that BJJ is excellent. But to suggest that the cage didn't have anything to do with Fedor getting caught at that moment is just plain silly, imo.

Last edited:
Good video.

Another detail I found made a difference, was how Werdum turned to upside down/ cross guard for a second to get the space to actually come back to the second triangle.

You can see it at about 50 seconds of the above video.

Also, did ANYONE else hear the commentator scream LYOTO at around a minute???

And the other announcer hesitating, probably thinking... "Wait WHAT??"

I thought that was hysterical!!

Really? What do you think it was? I saw Fedor doing just fine, circling away while punching, all the way around 360 degree's until he ran into the cage. You think Werdum pulled him back in or threw his leg around before Fedor runs into the cage? And you don't think Fedor not having anywhere to continue to circle didn't come into play?

Im not trying to discredit the Triangle at all, or the win. I think it was a great display of ground work and shows that BJJ is excellent. But to suggest that the cage didn't have anything to do with Fedor getting caught at that moment is just plain silly, imo.

Fedor left himself in a danger zone with no control over Werdum's hips, and Werdum has slick and powerful hips. big mistake. the cage might have been in the way, but I don't think it would have mattered if they were in the middle of the ring since Werdum had hips free and the arm controlled. The cage was certainly not the main factor, it's questionable whther or not it was even a minor factor.

and of course even if he used the cage 100% it would take nothing away. that's part of the sport.

I saw Werdum relax and kind of allow his spine to curl a little, this cause Fedor to fall into him, because he had been in a stiffer posture, and suddenly softened. I don't think it had anything to do with him forcing Fedor into his legs or forcing his leg over Fedor's head. He just "gave" and let Fedor in, instead of resisting. He didn't bounce straight back into the triangle while Werdum sat there, Werdum prepared the reception.

these guys are too much.

BJJ and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu are the exact same thing even though the mentality is different. Sure one is a point scoring sport and the other is a self-defense martial art, but the techniques are almost all identical. The only difference is the mentality behind it. It's like comparing two Basketball teams, one that likes to push the pace in the fastbreak, and the other that likes to slow it down and pound the ball in the paint in the half-court. When it comes down to it, Jiu-Jitsu is Jiu-Jitsu and Basketball is Basketball.

Plus, the Gracies are experts in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and their grandfather CREATED the art himself that brought us Vale Tudo, the UFC(Rorion's baby) and MMA in general(fighters cross-training to avoid the dominance of BJJ).

I, for one, practice BJJ and really liked the video since they clearly know what they're talking about..

Back