Gracies break down the Werdum triangle

Yeah.

MMA is only realistic when BJJ works in it.

I am sick of the Torrence academy's hard sell.

Good video.

Another detail I found made a difference, was how Werdum turned to upside down/ cross guard for a second to get the space to actually come back to the second triangle.

You can see it at about 50 seconds of the above video.

Also, did ANYONE else hear the commentator scream LYOTO at around a minute???

And the other announcer hesitating, probably thinking... "Wait WHAT??"

I thought that was hysterical!
!

Maybe "Lyoto", the way its pronounced, means something in portuguese(Werdum's corner) or in Russian(Fedor's corner).

Once at my multicultural high school, some Taiwanese kids were talking to each other in Chinese and one of them says "nig ga" at some point in the conversation. All of us were like, "Why the hell did you say that word?". Turns out n i g g a(the way its pronounced), means "that" in chinese. Pretty common word right there.....

Last edited:
BJJ and Gracie Jiu-Jitsu are the exact same thing even though the mentality is different. Sure one is a point scoring sport and the other is a self-defense martial art, but the techniques are almost all identical. The only difference is the mentality behind it. It's like comparing two Basketball teams, one that likes to push the pace in the fastbreak, and the other that likes to slow it down and pound the ball in the paint in the half-court. When it comes down to it, Jiu-Jitsu is Jiu-Jitsu and Basketball is Basketball.

Plus, the Gracies are experts in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and their grandfather CREATED the art himself that brought us Vale Tudo, the UFC(Rorion's baby) and MMA in general(fighters cross-training to avoid the dominance of BJJ).

I, for one, practice BJJ and really liked the video since they clearly know what they're talking about..

you're talking to a competitive purple belt under a gracie. The fact is they talk shit about sport BJJ non stop about how it's no good for fighting etc. then when someone wins a fight with it suddenly they forget all the nonsense they spoke and start promoting it as what they teach. It's hypocritical marketing, and it annoys me.

you're talking to a competitive purple belt under a gracie. The fact is they talk shit about sport BJJ non stop about how it's no good for fighting etc. then when someone wins a fight with it suddenly they forget all the nonsense they spoke and start promoting it as what they teach. It's hypocritical marketing, and it annoys me.

They don't like the way their self-defense martial art has been changed by some to a point-scoring sport, but that doesn't mean that they are gonna start hating people that are having success with their own creation. They might not approve on BJJ Competitions, and the point-scoring, but when it comes down to it, the Gracies invented the Jiu-Jitsu that is being used today in MMA, so why is it such a shame that these two Gracies are congratulating Werdum on a job well done and technique being well executed?

Yeah.

MMA is only realistic when BJJ works in it.

I am sick of the Torrence academy's hard sell.

I don't know, I don't really blame them. They had the world in the palm of their hand when pure BJJ took everyone by storm. Nobody is going to market themselves as "one of a myriad of effective arts, none of which are sufficient in themselves--of course". They're not champions, they're not great MMA fighters. They have two things going for them: Good, but not world class grappling skills. A name.

I see it as them them having two choices. Play up the GJJ angle and fish for attention, or settle for a smaller slice of the martial arts pie, by accepting that they are just good jiu-jitsu guys with a name. Teach, do seminars...probably live a lot less high on the hog then Royce and others of their family who rode the gravy train.

All I'm saying is, they are in a unique situation to exploit their family's fame, it's not a temptation a lot of people have to contend with. It's hard to judge.

They don't like the way their self-defense martial art has been changed by some to a point-scoring sport, but that doesn't mean that they are gonna start hating people that are having success with their own creation. They might not approve on BJJ Competitions, and the point-scoring, but when it comes down to it, the Gracies invented the Jiu-Jitsu that is being used today in MMA, so why is it such a shame that these two Gracies are congratulating Werdum on a job well done and technique being well executed?

You act as if the point scoring system wasnt invented by Gracies either.

They didnt have a problem with the point system until they couldn't control the market anymore, so now they preach "self defense" because they know thats a test that most people will never have to take.

It's disingenous. That side of the family makes up their own rules for their competitions hoping it will give them an edge by playing to their strengths, and even than they lost, so they just decided to get out of the comp game altogether. It's a good business, but a slap in the face to anyone with a little grappling experience and a decent amount of critical thinking.

lol, you're talking like Rener invented jiu-jitsu, and they started the point system. it wasn't until Rener and Ryron started losing that they called it bad. do a little more research man. Helio was not the shining light at the source of BJJ. The fact is a guy like Werdum would smash Rener in any kind of match whether there's strict grappling rules or no rules at all, and Werdum does sport BJJ and MMA... precisely what Rener says is less effective in a fight, lol.

I don't know, I don't really blame them. They had the world in the palm of their hand when pure BJJ took everyone by storm. Nobody is going to market themselves as "one of a myriad of effective arts, none of which are sufficient in themselves--of course". They're not champions, they're not great MMA fighters. They have two things going for them: Good, but not world class grappling skills. A name.

I see it as them them having two choices. Play up the GJJ angle and fish for attention, or settle for a smaller slice of the martial arts pie, by accepting that they are just good jiu-jitsu guys with a name. Teach, do seminars...probably live a lot less high on the hog then Royce and others of their family who rode the gravy train.

All I'm saying is, they are in a unique situation to exploit their family's fame, it's not a temptation a lot of people have to contend with. It's hard to judge.

Sure.

They have a choice to make a living on their name, and I have a choice to call them on their bullshit. That's part of life. You say dumbshit, you get called out.

Did this really need to be broken down? It was a simple basic triangle that Fedor walked right into. Nothing spectacular or interesting unless you have no clue what a triangle choke is. Then your mind is probably blown.

Did this really need to be broken down? It was a simple basic triangle that Fedor walked right into. Nothing spectacular or interesting unless you have no clue what a triangle choke is. Then your mind is probably blown.

which is who the Gracie University is geared towards.

11hfm9x.jpg

It was the guys first lost in a decade.

I'm guessing they just felt like breaking down how it all happened.

The internetz once again proves to be serious business. Shall we dance?

THISISSPARTAgood.gif

He managed to avoid Nogueira's triangles for three fights. Basic or not, it's pretty big news in the MMA and BJJ world.

I'd be way more shocked if he got subbed by a gogoplata from half guard than by a basic triangle.

It would have been interested to see how it would have panned out if Fedor hadn't hit the cage and bounced back into Werdum's triangle. I'm pretty sure that if he hadn't Fedor would have either smashed Werdum's leg and gotten side control or pulled his arm out.

No way fedor would pass werdums guard ever.

Really? What do you think it was? I saw Fedor doing just fine, circling away while punching, all the way around 360 degree's until he ran into the cage. You think Werdum pulled him back in or threw his leg around before Fedor runs into the cage? And you don't think Fedor not having anywhere to continue to circle didn't come into play?

Im not trying to discredit the Triangle at all, or the win. I think it was a great display of ground work and shows that BJJ is excellent. But to suggest that the cage didn't have anything to do with Fedor getting caught at that moment is just plain silly, imo.

Actually no, at 0:53 of the vid werdum unbalances fedor as he punches which makes him fall into the triangle, by the time he touches the cage the triangle is already to deep.

Back