Gracie Jiu Jitsu vs. Bodybuilder

You're right in that any trained combat athlete (Wrestler, Muay Thaist, or Boxer) could have beaten him just as easy or maybe even easier since it's obvious he didn't have much stand-up ability.

Not really, because most fights end up on the ground and then it would have been a even fight at best, more likely the bigger, stronger guy on top would have the advantage.

Obviously none of you know the whole story then.

Pedro Sauer chose to stand up and "box" the guy at the start of the fight to prove a point. Mr. Utah was talking trash about how bad ass he was and how he couldn't get hit. Sauer punched him in the face at will to prove how big of a douche he was. Utah also said that he would be able to bench press his way out of every Jiu Jitsu move that Sauer tried to put on him.

This has been reviewed every other month since 1994 and people are still just seeing it for the first time? Where have you been?

This. Plus, the Gracies didnt go after ppl challenging them most the time. they simply let ppl come to them. if a body builder wanted to fight, then he could.

Actually it accomplished a lot. Like a previous poster mentioned, it was widely accepted that a big hulking dude could beat the hell out of trained martial artists just on sheer physicality alone. Even "back in the day" no one took martial arts seriously besides soccer moms and children.

You're right in that any trained combat athlete (Wrestler, Muay Thaist, or Boxer) could have beaten him just as easy or maybe even easier since it's obvious he didn't have much stand-up ability.

That's not really true. Martial arts were respected back in the 90s just about as much as they are now. Most people thought that trained martial artists could overcome bigger guys. Some people still thought that bigger guys would win anyway. It's exactly the same as it is today.

As a martial artist who started in 1990, I have not noticed a difference in the perception of the effectiveness of martial arts with the general public. The types of techniques considered effective have changed somewhat. Back in 1994, people would probably expect the martial artist to win with a jump spinning hook kick. Nowadays people are not that surprised to see a submission from the ground. But the overall perception of effectiveness is pretty similar.

That's not really true. Martial arts were respected back in the 90s just about as much as they are now. Most people thought that trained martial artists could overcome bigger guys. Some people still thought that bigger guys would win anyway. It's exactly the same as it is today.

As a martial artist who started in 1990, I have not noticed a difference in the perception of the effectiveness of martial arts with the general public. The types of techniques considered effective have changed somewhat. Back in 1994, people would probably expect the martial artist to win with a jump spinning hook kick. Nowadays people are not that surprised to see a submission from the ground. But the overall perception of effectiveness is pretty similar.

exactly.

your average untrained meatheaded bafoon used to think

"if they try that flying crane shit on me, I'll just grab 'em and smash em"

now they say

"if they try that wrasslin' ju jitsuy grabbin' me crap, I'll just punch em and not let em take me down"

exactly.

your average untrained meatheaded bafoon used to think

"if they try that flying crane shit on me, I'll just grab 'em and smash em"

now they say

"if they try that wrasslin' ju jitsuy grabbin' me crap, I'll just punch em and not let em take me down"

The best part about the 90s was how people were seriously scared of ninjas.

Ninjas were the best fighters ever. If somehow a ninja wanted to kill you, you had no chance -- unless of course, you also happened to be a ninja yourself. Guns didn't work against ninjas. They were too fast. Nothing worked against ninjas except other ninjas.

Now people don't really believe in ninjas anymore. But for a few years there, ninjas were ready to take over the world at any time. Even the beginning to the arcade game Bad Dudes started with the line "The President has been kidnapped by ninjas." People walking by that game never openly mocked the premise.

Sure, it wasn't LIKELY that the President would be kidnapped by ninjas, but in the scary new world of the 90s you could never be too sure...

ihasafunny-funny-ninjas.jpg

I used to have a recurring nightmare when I was little that I'd be home alone at night and suddenly my house would get attacked by ninjas. I'd be standing at the top of my stairs, using my Karate to fight off all these ninjas. Eventually I'd get tired and wake up just as the ninjas were starting to win.

I'd wake up so scared and be grateful that it was just a dream. Then the next day after school I'd go down to the basement and practice punching and kicking the bag over and over to get better so that if ninjas ever attacked for real, I'd be ready for them.

What is sad about a small man defeating a large strong man? The old school guys do the hard work, prove themselves, put themselves on the the line, and now the internet warriors say how "easy" all that is, how its "sad"... Ill give you the same advice, you think you can defeat a body builder, go make video tapes, post here.

Let me guess... nowhere in that post did you say you could defeat body builders, you were "just saying"....

YouMad.jpg

The best part about the 90s was how people were seriously scared of ninjas.

Ninjas were the best fighters ever. If somehow a ninja wanted to kill you, you had no chance -- unless of course, you also happened to be a ninja yourself. Guns didn't work against ninjas. They were too fast. Nothing worked against ninjas except other ninjas.

Now people don't really believe in ninjas anymore. But for a few years there, ninjas were ready to take over the world at any time. Even the beginning to the arcade game Bad Dudes started with the line "The President has been kidnapped by ninjas." People walking by that game never openly mocked the premise.

Sure, it wasn't LIKELY that the President would be kidnapped by ninjas, but in the scary new world of the 90s you could never be too sure...

:icon_chee so true, I was guilty of this myself, but i don't agree with the part that people nowadays don't believe in ninjas no more.
There are still a lot of people that believe in all the Dim Mak ninja super kungfu stuff.

Listen my thick skulled friend, there is one simple thing the Gracies were doing in that video.......... That is showing you what a smaller guy could do againts a muscle bound strong man that 90% of the earths population wouldn't even think of fvcking with.

You see, those types of body builders/strong guys were considered back then to be badasses and people like you would have been afraid and backed down from them.

So follow along.....

With a challenge match like this was set up to prove there was a system that actually worked againts the big strong, tough guys.

LOL, at you saying "bodybuilding isn't a martial art". Come on man stop the hating and use your damn brain.:icon_neut

Spot on. In fact the majority of the uneducated population still probably consider the notion of a man resembling Royce Gracie defeating a hulking strong guy in a NHB fight to be ridiculous.

I used to have a recurring nightmare when I was little that I'd be home alone at night and suddenly my house would get attacked by ninjas. I'd be standing at the top of my stairs, using my Karate to fight off all these ninjas. Eventually I'd get tired and wake up just as the ninjas were starting to win.

I'd wake up so scared and be grateful that it was just a dream. Then the next day after school I'd go down to the basement and practice punching and kicking the bag over and over to get better so that if ninjas ever attacked for real, I'd be ready for them.

I remember a few years in the 80s where EVERY KID IN THE WORLD was a ninja for halloween.

including me :icon_chee

Actually it accomplished a lot. Like a previous poster mentioned, it was widely accepted that a big hulking dude could beat the hell out of trained martial artists just on sheer physicality alone. Even "back in the day" no one took martial arts seriously besides soccer moms and children.

NOP, just NOP.... this is bullshit, most TMA proved not to work, I will put my house on the bbuilder against any TMA bbelt... Dude is going to clinch for sure, what do you think a karate, kung fu, MT or boxer could do with a guy who has 100 pounds on him?? in real life, they would get murder... Hell, watch old UFCs, there have been a lot of TMArtist going in there, bbelts lallalalla... and as soon as the fight started, it was like all those years went to hell, because it looked more like 2 drunk as fuck dudes just punching it out...

MT is different, as well as boxing, both train full contact, but most TMA dont, and when they find themself in real life situations, technique goes to hell, and instic takes over, because they are not use to that kind of situation...

Your dissapointed in a guy who is 100lbs lighter winning a fight against a muscle bound athlete? I don't think you have a clue how much strength and athleticism comes into play, especially when adrenaline is up. Go challenge body builders and post vids, and lets see how well you do. Im sure you can finish them in under one minute.

Royce was able to do this and Pedro Sauser at this time had arguably better Jujitsu than Royce.

Why has he put his kimono on wrong, right lapel over left? :icon_conf

Pedro has been wearing his gis that way for many years now. I'm not really sure why, but I guess someone could just ask him.

Back