Gracie Jiu Jitsu vs. Bodybuilder

I actually thought the world was black and white in the early days...

What this video really shows is that Jiu-Jitsu has come such a long way. The black belts and world champions of today's generation are light years ahead of the greats from 90's, no one can dispute that.

What this video really shows is that bodybuilding has come such a long way. The Mr. Olympias of today's generation are light years ahead of the greats from 90's, no one can dispute that. :icon_lol:

BTW... OP looks like a bodybuilder in his avatar. Who's side you on bruh?

Did he cross his legs during the armbar?

this gets annoying every time I read it. Any high level black belt can make what your "not" supposed to do and make it work. Its a higher level of understanding. In other words, he can do what the fuck he wants and make it work. I really cant stand when people think its either black or white. Think outside the box... fool.

I am not even going to lie I was really disappointed with a guy at Pedro Sauer level taking that long against an untrained body builder. I mean we are talking one of the best Brazilian Jujitsu practitioners in the world here. This video took place a long time ago but still Sauer is a red belt Helio and sons.

Your dissapointed in a guy who is 100lbs lighter winning a fight against a muscle bound athlete? I don't think you have a clue how much strength and athleticism comes into play, especially when adrenaline is up. Go challenge body builders and post vids, and lets see how well you do. Im sure you can finish them in under one minute.

I'm in no way comparing myself to either of those guys , but the way the bodybuilder couldn't even block a punch that was telegraphed like 2 days before it was thrown , didn't made me really impressed with him, and neither with a guy that can defeat him.

I don't think they were trying to impress you. I think they were trying to win the fight in front of them. Did you expect Pedro to throw a flying armbar in the first ten seconds? You ARE comparing yourself, you are saying that you can see all those punches coming DAYS before they arrive. Go make some challenges to bodybuilders, record the fights, post them here. I would love to see your Jedi reflexes.

Gracies are so sad, Bodybuilding is not a martial art and Mr. Utah is not an accolade lol

What is sad about a small man defeating a large strong man? The old school guys do the hard work, prove themselves, put themselves on the the line, and now the internet warriors say how "easy" all that is, how its "sad"... Ill give you the same advice, you think you can defeat a body builder, go make video tapes, post here.

Let me guess... nowhere in that post did you say you could defeat body builders, you were "just saying"....

im impressed that a smaller guy can take on such a big meathead with skill, but at the same time that bodybuilder was in no way a trained fighter, he just lift weights. so from a professional fighting standpoint im not impressed, from a self defense/amateur standpoint it makes me want to train in BJJ :)

First off, respect Resendiz. You said everything I wanted to say and I totally agree.

To the same peeps he said his points to, I say 2 things:

A lot of people underestimate the ability of athletes. I'm not talking about meat heads at the gym. I'm talking genetic freaks that play Division 1, and pro sports. These guys are genetically, just built better not only in body, but in mind (reflexes/instinct) than a majority of the posters on sherdog. I played Division 1 soccer, AND could have played for a big east basketball team, and even then, some of the guys I played with, had just retard strength and ability. I worked twice as hard to be able to jump as high or run just as fast as people who just were born with it.

You couple that with basic understandings of submission defense and I'm sorry you're getting smashed. This is Pedro Sauer, a black belt with 2 degrees taking everything he had to beat this 250 pound guy. Can you do better with your white, blue or purple belt?

The landscape of today has changed in that its not UFC 1, UFC 2 anymore where your opponents don't know that giving up the back is BAD news. People KNOW about Gracie Jiu Jitsu, and hell, almost everyone I know trains in some form or another. You just don't know anymore.

The saying that technique beats strength? Hate to break it to you but although it was true, it was also a marketing ploy. The fine print: If your technique is better than your opponents, then yes, it will beat strength. When the technique is equal, guess who wins? The better athlete.

I agree with Resendiz and say, before you say that that video was lame, post a video of yourself beating up a Mr. <insert state> here.

Finally:

There are certain situations where you can cross your legs for an armbar. To think otherwise means you need to BJJ more, haha.

This just in....A Gracie blackbelt beat a bodybuilder with no fighting experience in 1994!

I love how everyone is analyzing this like a pro MMA fight.
What a bunch or tards.
Here's a news flash, back in the early MMA days there was no such thing as a "trained fighter". People boxed, or got in bar fights. The big dudes who could smash, regardless of having zero technique, would dominate the bar fights and boxers usually knew enough about fighting not to get into street brawls.
Gracie Jiu Jitsu basically introduced the world to a fighting system that was applicable and legitimate. When this video went down, everyone thought the Arnold's and Sylvester's of the world were the bad asses because they were built.
So what better way to prove the point of a fighting style than to challenge and defeat the epitome of hugeness that everyone thought was the pinnacle of self defense at the time?

What a bunch or tards.
Here's a news flash, back in the early MMA days there was no such thing as a "trained fighter". People boxed, or got in bar fights. The big dudes who could smash, regardless of having zero technique, would dominate the bar fights and boxers usually knew enough about fighting not to get into street brawls.
Gracie Jiu Jitsu basically introduced the world to a fighting system that was applicable and legitimate. When this video went down, everyone thought the Arnold's and Sylvester's of the world were the bad asses because they were built.
So what better way to prove the point of a fighting style than to challenge and defeat the epitome of hugeness that everyone thought was the pinnacle of self defense at the time?

Yeah...basically this.

It was an ego swallowing affair for body builders.

The saying that technique beats strength? Hate to break it to you but although it was true, it was also a marketing ploy. The fine print: If your technique is better than your opponents, then yes, it will beat strength. When the technique is equal, guess who wins? The better athlete. .

better technique over strength is a variable scale, you get someone that is a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than you then your technique better be a hell of a lot better than theirs. I have gone against the bodybuilders and power lifters that have come to our gym and 9 times out of 10 I do beat them, but I feel like I got the shit beat out of me almost every time. Then once in awhile a guy will just beat me with his strength, the only consolation I have is that I was able to use technique enough that they weren't able to continue due to exhaustion.

Then those same guys stick around and train for 3 or 4 months and they are kicking ass. We like to think strength doesn't matter, but reality is it does. Yes Royce beat Kimo in UFC 3, but he wasn't able to fight in the finals after, the fight took that much out of him.

better technique over strength is a variable scale, you get someone that is a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than you then your technique better be a hell of a lot better than theirs. I have gone against the bodybuilders and power lifters that have come to our gym and 9 times out of 10 I do beat them, but I feel like I got the shit beat out of me almost every time. Then once in awhile a guy will just beat me with his strength, the only consolation I have is that I was able to use technique enough that they weren't able to continue due to exhaustion.

Then those same guys stick around and train for 3 or 4 months and they are kicking ass. We like to think strength doesn't matter, but reality is it does. Yes Royce beat Kimo in UFC 3, but he wasn't able to fight in the finals after, the fight took that much out of him.

Totally agree, hence why watching this video, even though the guy didnt know what he was doing should not be taken lightly. While BJJ does give people an edge over a stronger person who does not know what they are doing, don't go into a fight thinking that you are invincible, because that kind of mindset can prove disastrous on your part.

What a bunch or tards.
I can't agree with this. There have always been people who trained specifically in fighting, not just boxing and bar fights. Think about the guys who fought in the first UFC. Every single one of them was a trained fighter as far as they knew. They spent their lives honing the skills of their particular art, and they would all most likely have beaten a bodybuilder who doesn't train in any kind of fighting. The idea that technique trumps size may be more well known today, but this has always been the case. Go back 100 years and any great wrestler, boxer, Thai boxer, or Kung-Fu artist (Kung Fu was more legit back then before the mcdojoization) will destroy most untrained guys 50-100 lbs heavier than them.

The Gracies introduced a fighting system to beat all other fighting systems, not just to beat larger, stronger fighters. Any legitimate fighting system will be able to conquer size with technique.

Plus that guy couldn't even block a hook. I'm pretty sure the jj guy could've boxed him to a submission.

so it accomplished nothing other than to say trained fighter > untrained.

which we already knew.

i.e., nobody would have been surprised for a 145lb boxer to put him to bed with a big right hand

so it accomplished nothing other than to say trained fighter > untrained.

which we already knew.

i.e., nobody would have been surprised for a 145lb boxer to put him to bed with a big right hand

Actually it accomplished a lot. Like a previous poster mentioned, it was widely accepted that a big hulking dude could beat the hell out of trained martial artists just on sheer physicality alone. Even "back in the day" no one took martial arts seriously besides soccer moms and children.

You're right in that any trained combat athlete (Wrestler, Muay Thaist, or Boxer) could have beaten him just as easy or maybe even easier since it's obvious he didn't have much stand-up ability.

Gracies are so sad, Bodybuilding is not a martial art and Mr. Utah is not an accolade lol

Listen my thick skulled friend, there is one simple thing the Gracies were doing in that video.......... That is showing you what a smaller guy could do againts a muscle bound strong man that 90% of the earths population wouldn't even think of fvcking with.

You see, those types of body builders/strong guys were considered back then to be badasses and people like you would have been afraid and backed down from them.

So follow along.....

With a challenge match like this was set up to prove there was a system that actually worked againts the big strong, tough guys.

LOL, at you saying "bodybuilding isn't a martial art". Come on man stop the hating and use your damn brain.:icon_neut

Back