GPP and preparing for Basic

RredRrover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As the title says.

Generally my routine is the standard 5x5, augmented with weekly paintball and the odd cardio kickboxing class.

I'm going in for my testing next week and am advised to get into as near peak condition before going off to Basic a few weeks after that. Aside from shifting focus from straight power towards calisthenics and running, anything else I should start bulding towards?

EDI: I currently carry extra weight from overeating and going too light on the cardio. I'm about 240-250, my working weight's about 210-220.

How tall are you and which branch?

6'1, big frame. I look like a barrel-chested homo at 200.

And likely Support (SigOps -- I'm Canadian) if my test scores pull through.

How intense is their basic? I'd imagine it's probably mostly bodyweight and light weight exercises, so you might wanna cut back on the weights and focus on that kind of stuff when you get close to going. I know that in the Marines, we never did anything with heavy weight in boot camp except log drills, and then you have a couple other guys on the log so it's not much weight if everyone's doing their part.

The training far as I can tell is the typical bodyweight stuff, probably not so harsh as USMC training. Cargo net, wall climbs, cross-country and so on. 18 hour days of 3D.

Basically I'm worrying about being too ragged from poor cardio to manage the more technical aspects. That and my mass becoming a problem on climbing exercises, which if fatigue adds up (and it will on six hours' sleep, I'm used to 10) will make my already weak points far worse.

I've been shifting over to BW training from strictly lifting.

I guess I answered my own question here, just gotta keep pushing. But how do I build on my running? I've got breathing and technique down okay, but after 10-15 minutes of moderate pace my legs are dead and my liver feels like it's come off its moorings and fallen in next to my ass.

Yeah, it sounds like you know what to do, it's just a matter of implementing it. Don't stress too much about it though. They put you through basic for a reason. The fact that you're already working out and trying to get ready puts you ahead of probably 50 - 75% of the rest. When I was waiting to go to boot camp, I knew what I should have been doing...but I stopped running the end of wrestling season(mid-Feb), and stopped working out completely before graduation End of May) And I made it just fine.

On a side note, that was 17 years ago and I'm in horrible shape now, so you're about 5 steps ahead of me.:redface:

RredRrover,

I would definitely move away from heavy lifting, just until you are past the basic training. Try the barbell complexes like randy does (this site http://www.istvanjavorek.com/page2.html has some good ones as well)

And try adding bodyweight stuff into your running, for example try push ups and sit ups every 500m to 1km on a 5km to 8km run.

Those and Tabata intervals will help with both conditioning and fatloss and should help you get down to your prefered bodyweight.

I think I like the sound of that. I swear I'm gonna cry the first few times I hit the track, though.

Thanks Brad! And g'luck, we're rooting for ya over here in Ottawa.

5X5 routines will not help you with basic. Start cranking out high-rep push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups. Also run, run, run. At least 2-5 miles a day, 5 days a week.

I can't speak for the canadian army, but the US army, as well as the marine corps and all american service branches have a standard physical fitness test that all military personell must complete as part of their initial training. I would find out what that is for your country and branch and spend at least some time each workout on those activities (ie: for me, I make Push ups and sit ups a part of my warm up) Also, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that you will be doing some type of footmarch. buy a pair of boots, and train yourself to walk between 5k and 10k with a little weight (maybe 25 lbs) in a backpack. This is a skill that is really exclusive to military personell and is often overlooked by civilians.

I can't speak for the canadian army, but the US army, as well as the marine corps and all american service branches have a standard physical fitness test that all military personell must complete as part of their initial training. I would find out what that is for your country and branch and spend at least some time each workout on those activities (ie: for me, I make Push ups and sit ups a part of my warm up) Also, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that you will be doing some type of footmarch. buy a pair of boots, and train yourself to walk between 5k and 10k with a little weight (maybe 25 lbs) in a backpack. This is a skill that is really exclusive to military personell and is often overlooked by civilians.

Yeah, I've been running and doing BW exercises. The bare minimum is 2.4km (1.1 miles) in 11 minutes. I can do that (barely), but I need a rest stop halfway through and my legs are shot afterward. It's slowly coming though. I've also been shying away from eating so damn much, the power training gave me some bad habits.

As for weight, I generally do that twice a week or so, no car and the grocery store is about 40 min's walk away. Why walk? There's a neat little deli halfway that sells 3$ sandwiches bigger than my head.

Yeah, I've been running and doing BW exercises. The bare minimum is 2.4km (1.1 miles) in 11 minutes. I can do that (barely), but I need a rest stop halfway through and my legs are shot afterward. It's slowly coming though. I've also been shying away from eating so damn much, the power training gave me some bad habits.

As for weight, I generally do that twice a week or so, no car and the grocery store is about 40 min's walk away. Why walk? There's a neat little deli halfway that sells 3$ sandwiches bigger than my head.

:rolleyes:

OK, this is something I didn't think about, cause I grew up with a mountain behind my house and climbed it all the time so it was never an issue for me. What Technomad is referring to is a forced march or "hump." Go to

http://www.rangerjoes.com/footwear-accessories-boots-shoes-c-300_303.html
or
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/display.asp?subDepartmentID=164

or something similar and get a pair of boots. Then put 25 to 50 pounds in a backpack and walk fast for 5k to 10k. Start with 25, but at your size 50 should be a goal. Take a bottle of water and sip it as needed, but don't slow down. AND NO STOPPING FOR A SANDWICH BIGGER THAN YOUR HEAD lol Keep us updated on your progress

:rolleyes:

OK, this is something I didn't think about, cause I grew up with a mountain behind my house and climbed it all the time so it was never an issue for me. What Technomad is referring to is a forced march or "hump." Go to

http://www.rangerjoes.com/footwear-accessories-boots-shoes-c-300_303.html
or
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/display.asp?subDepartmentID=164

or something similar and get a pair of boots. Then put 25 to 50 pounds in a backpack and walk fast for 5k to 10k. Start with 25, but at your size 50 should be a goal. Take a bottle of water and sip it as needed, but don't slow down. AND NO STOPPING FOR A SANDWICH BIGGER THAN YOUR HEAD lol Keep us updated on your progress

Great advice, I second the recomendation on using a rucksack. Training for basic is pretty simple just do massive amounts of body weight excercises, run 3-5 miles and try and do some long distance road marching. If you do all that you'll be solid.

Yeah man, definitely start running with boots. Get your feet used to them. Your feet will get pretty fucked up if you dont. Its guaranteed.

Back