Got smashed by a Judoka

a 2 month under 73kg whitebelt who can hang with most of the blues at your school?
WTF?
You must be, either really talented, or the standard of blues is really, really bad.
Sure they're not just toying with you?
Watch their faces next time. Are any of them yawning?
:p
But props on competing so early, and you sound pretty keen, so you'll probably be smashing my lazy arse in a year or two.

KDawg said:
1: I've never seen a BJJ blackbelt "dominate" any upper level division in Judo (even in local/regional tournaments)

3: You CAN get a BB in BJJ in 2-3 years too (see BJ Penn), but it rarely happens. SAME with Judo. I have been around for some time (15 years), and have NEVER met anyone who has gotten a BB in 2-3 years.

I know a BJJ purple belt who got his BB in judo IN A DAY by basically defeating a while belt by hold down, being sent to the brown belt mat and defeating two guys there before then facing a line up of brown belts before beating them all by ippon too. 6 wins, 3 with no rest. He's having to take the theory test now but I think he is proof your claims are inaccurate. The guy's name is Mariusz and he trains at Carlson Gracie London and he went to the Budokwai London on the day of the judo grading.

Superbeast said:
I know a BJJ purple belt who got his BB in judo IN A DAY by basically defeating a while belt by hold down, being sent to the brown belt mat and defeating two guys there before then facing a line up of brown belts before beating them all by ippon too. 6 wins, 3 with no rest. He's having to take the theory test now but I think he is proof your claims are inaccurate. The guy's name is Mariusz and he trains at Carlson Gracie London and he went to the Budokwai London on the day of the judo grading.
Hows the claim innacurate? This is hardly an everyday occurrence, nor a common way to get your Judo BB.

a 2 month under 73kg whitebelt who can hang with most of the blues at your school?
WTF?
You must be, either really talented, or the standard of blues is really, really bad.
Sure they're not just toying with you?
Watch their faces next time. Are any of them yawning?

But props on competing so early, and you sound pretty keen, so you'll probably be smashing my lazy arse in a year or two.
My 1st day of BJJ class I caught a one stripe Blue in a crucifix(wrestling version) and I got the tap.
It depends on hwat u did b4 BJJ.
Not to say I could dominate but I could hang back then too. Of course that was years ago when i was more athletic ..heh

my coach said he went to a judo club, and after sparring with the black belts was awarded his brown belt right there. He said he was offered his black if he opened a school under the head instructor.
"but I don't know judo"
"I don't care, just teach what you're doing"
He was only a purple (maybe even a high blue) at the time.

3: You CAN get a BB in BJJ in 2-3 years too (see BJ Penn), but it rarely happens. SAME with Judo. I have been around for some time (15 years), and have NEVER met anyone who has gotten a BB in 2-3 years.

bj penn is famous because he got it in4 years. He also trained 6 hours a day 7 days a week and had numerous private classes. I live in S. Korea (one of the best judo nations in the world) and it's not unusual for a person to get a black belt in 2 years.

4: I will admit though, the rule differences would make it much easier for a BJJ sandbagger to dominate beginner Judo divisions than Judo sandbaggers in BJJ divisions

How do you figure that? Judo (olympic judo rules) only allow 20 seconds on the ground and submissions are limited to chokes and elbow locks. Add in teh fact that flying armbars/triangles are outlawed and i don't see how aBJJ fighter will have an easier time than a judoka.

I think the time it takes to get BB in BJJ is NOT important even though it is very unusual.
I have heard of something less unusual and you guys chime in if you have heard it.
I know this purple/brown (name color here) belt than can (name situation here) hang with, tap out black belts.
I have heard that a few times and even heard that 2nd hand before.
A guy I used to train with (purple) went to Brazil to visit our former teacher (who moved back after getting his degree here) and in the process visited a cpl of schools there. I was told by the guy that went with him that he tapped a few BB's while he was there.
He also did very well in NAGA advanced back in the day winning a few and placing in others.
My point is just b/c they havent been awarded a BB does not mean they are not BB level.
Perhaps its more of a pay your dues thing in BJJ than in other styles like Judo, regardless of how well you do against the other BB's.

well a guy like shaolin was given his black in record time because he won ever tournament he fought in.. it's hard to keep a guy down when he wins in tournaments...

knoxpk said:
My 1st day of BJJ class I caught a one stripe Blue in a crucifix(wrestling version) and I got the tap.
It depends on hwat u did b4 BJJ.
Not to say I could dominate but I could hang back then too. Of course that was years ago when i was more athletic ..heh
haha. True. I thought he meant with no prior grappling experience. Wrestlers are tough mutha fuckas

well a guy like shaolin was given his black in record time because he won ever tournament he fought in.. it's hard to keep a guy down when he wins in tournaments...

The irony is the friend I was talking about got to fill in for another grappler in the North American Abu Dhabi qualifier and got beat by technical (not sure what its called in sub grappling) decision by shaolin.

judogido said:
Hows the claim innacurate? This is hardly an everyday occurrence, nor a common way to get your Judo BB.

I thought a brown belt line up was the usual method used to test a person for their black belt.

It may not be an everyday occurence but clearly it does happen which is why it is inaccurate. There's another guy who recently got promoted from the same Carlson Gracie Team gym, also a BJJ purple, who got his judo BB in just over 3 years so again it can happen.

Superbeast said:
There's another guy who recently got promoted from the same Carlson Gracie Team gym, also a BJJ purple, who got his judo BB in just over 3 years so again it can happen.

That sounds completely reasonable to me. But the guy just whooping everybody on the mat and then getting handed his black belt would be very, very rare indeed. Would it happen in BJJ? i.e. a Judoka or Sambo guy comes in and taps all the black belts (pretend with me here guys). Honest question: think he'd be handed his BJJ black belt?

hmm... i guess it depens on his size and technique and how good his guard is. If he is a great top player but has a so-so guard the instructor would prob make him develop his guard.

blanko said:
How do you figure that? Judo (olympic judo rules) only allow 20 seconds on the ground and submissions are limited to chokes and elbow locks. Add in teh fact that flying armbars/triangles are outlawed and i don't see how aBJJ fighter will have an easier time than a judoka.

It's easier because of getting points for a throw, and some for positioning if sandbagging as a Judoka in BJJ - you get a win for a submission if sandbagging as a BJJ player in Judo

It depends where you are.

A very traditional way to grade is by lining up against a bunch of browns then beating them all.There are many countries that do it this way.

In Australia (NSW at least) we dont do this, although there was a rumble in the air that it might happen sometime this year.

In Australia you must get 150 points in competition PLUS minimum time in grade, THEN do a knowledge test + kata at a scheduled "dan grading" where senior dan grades (ie; not just at club level) assess you. This grading takes about 3-4 hours.

Comp points are: 7 via ippon vs blue, 10 via ippon against brown, 15 via ippon against 1D black etc.

In VERY exceptional circumstances someone will be awarded their Dan out of the blue but I've also never ever heard of it happen - it's one oth those "in theory it could happen" things. I HAVE heard of a Brown being given by a coach after truly exceptional performance in competitions.

Superbeast said:
I thought a brown belt line up was the usual method used to test a person for their black belt.

It may not be an everyday occurence but clearly it does happen which is why it is inaccurate. There's another guy who recently got promoted from the same Carlson Gracie Team gym, also a BJJ purple, who got his judo BB in just over 3 years so again it can happen.

Here, clubs can give belts up to brown belt. There is no "Brown belt line up" in Canada (or the US to my knowledge). You then earn points through competitions (or if you're old - refereeing, coaching). Once you earn the number of points that you need to get your BB, they send you to grading. At grading, you perform kata and a board of senior BBs pass/fail you based on your points and kata.

We've had guys here that have been promoted to brown rather quickly (I'm talking a year) because of a high BJJ/wrestling background allowing them to dominate recreational fighters under a brown belt level. They then competed brown and up, and were not very successful (the famous one when I was growing up never won a fight at a major competition again).

I think a lot of people on these boards have a very diluted knowledge of what goes on in Judo, which is really unfortunate for them. Using an anomaly as a general rule can destroy arguments quickly in educated circles. Unfortunately, Sherdog's not there yet.

Not pointing at you... you're one of the dozen or so that have a respectable opinion on here

Back