Got my ass kicked in Muay Thai today

Hey man it only made you better, right? I would hope so because I'm sure you know the only way to get better is to spar with people that are better than you. Thats what I think.I train in boxing a few times a week and when I get beat up and bruised a little,I feel like I have gottne something out of it. Well keep up the training and keep on getting your ass kicked you will get better when it comes to sparring.

the hardest thing about fighting for anyone is to not worry about getting hit...once you get over that hump...it gets A LOT easier. Learn to tuck your chin and slip INTO the punches not away, and you'll be fine...its impossible to counter if you're always jumping back

if your better than everyone the first time you spar at your gym, why be there? this simply means your in the right place

Why are you sparring experienced guys that much bigger than you...you're being setup fo failure.

You know nothing about contact sports. It is worse to put in two people that have no experience. They'll end up killing each other. sparring with people more experienced than you is a lot better and you'll learn a lot faster.

I'm about 8 months into my first time training boxing and I can say from experience that sparring can be pretty unpleasant the first few times around. I still get pretty nervous if I know I'm going to spar that day.

It gets better when you learn to relax a little in the ring and if you learn how to "work" with the people you are sparring with rather than going all out for every second of every round.

I actually have the opposite problem the TS has, I'm pretty big and even though I'm just starting people expect that I should be knocking everyone out every time I get in the ring. It makes it all the more embarrassing when I catch a couple hot ones.... which I usually do. I sparred with a young guy last week and did fine for 2 rounds until he started throwing haymakers right before the bell rang and I ducked right into one. I went out like a light for half a second and went straight down... sparring can suck sometimes

You will get better if you fight those better than you.

+With your limited experience you could probably destroy 60% of Sherdog posters.

Some people aren't cut out for Muay Thai. You may be one of them. Try a couple more times and if you keep getting beaten....give up before you seriously get hurt.

Look at all that shit laid out man

-first time sparring
-guys were much bigger
-guys were more experienced
-never been hit before

Honestly man if you were expecting anything other then to get your ass kicked you were wrong. Thats what happens to everyone when they step in for the first time. You're not alone there.

You said "It seems though once you start sparring its a completely different world." That is exactly right. That doesn't mean you won't get it though. Its easy to look good on pads but if you keep sparring that will eventually show through in the ring as well.

Sparring is much different than drills, try to incorporate what you've learned from your drills into your opponent, the only problem is, he isn't a pad, and he will hit back, I honestly think everyone gets owned in the beginning, just spar with people around the same skill level as you, and of course it's always good to venture on and test your skills against someone who you think is good.

And after a while, you'll see you've progressed! it's a pretty neat thing to realize, just don't lose focus, and be on your game.

One more tip, leave your problems at the door of the gym.

Hang in there. You don't suck (at least as far as I can tell.)

Sparring helps your timing. You'll get it down.

Well, what did you expect from sparring guys who are taller, bigger, and more experienced then you.

One more tip, leave your problems at the door of the gym.

That's great advice. Another tip is, don't get mad. You'll see lots of guys getting very upset when you hurt them and go at you like they want to kill you. In a real fight, that'll get you knocked out, usually you get careless when you get mad like that and a good fighter will take advantage of it....

Keep your head up, bro. Not a big deal. More sparring time will get you more comfortable. But your instructor should know better and help you along the way to getting used to strikes coming your way. Once you start to get comfortable, then you start to actually apply a lot more of what you do with the pad work.

All in due time, man.

When you say that it was a humbling experience for you, and that one of your instructor's was being hard on you and kind of calling you out...you answered your own question.

Amongst other things, they are testing your resilience; if you fade now and quit because you got frustrated and were shown up, then you weren't meant to train seriously. They want to see if you can take your lumps and keep improving; they wouldn't push you if they didn't see potential in you, right?

Well, that's my theory anyway.

Stick it out man and learn from your mistakes. Don't be so hard on yourself but remember this feeling and focus on what it takes to improve so you don't keep deeling the same way. It takes balls to fight bro...

okay here's y u got ur ass whuped
- went hard with the instructor u learn from the instructor
- ur 120 lbs
- sparing with bigger guys
-expeirenced guys

it would be different if u went with a guy who is ur weight ur skill then u both can whup the shit out of each others

I learned, at least for myself, that sparring with people better than you gets you to learn and adapt faster. You also learn from them while fighting, and pick up stuff that they are using and also adapt to a better opponent and become better yourself.

Thats why I always liked sparring instructors - yes it is more unpleasant, and you are getting ht more, but you are learning more and faster while doing it - you can really notice the difference if you go back to sparring with your peers afterwards, how much easier it seems.

Trainers also have to have sense how hard they want to push someone new - if you feel your ribbs the next day, or/and have a couple of bruises for the next couple of days, just eat it up, it is part of the training, and it is making you tougher, I don't however advocate wrecking the crap out of the new guys so that they can't walk for a week afterwards, because injuring them is putting them off training, and also discouraging them before they have the chance to adapt.

You might wanna pack a little muscle on that frame. 120 at 5'8 seems very skinny, even for muay thai fighters. i'm 5'8 and weigh between 155-160

Yeah I love how everyone likes to critique pro fighters when they fight in the cage/ring. Most people think you can just get in there and perform all sick-style!.

Yeah, keep it up and you'll eventually figure out where these strikes are coming from...in time you'll be able to counter.

Another big step up is if you ever compete. It'll be almost like your first time sparring because all the training goes out the window.

Good LUCK!

Back