Got my ass kicked in Muay Thai today

a few weeks of sparring and you'll be WAYYY more comfortable. Soon as you get comfortable and relax it's easier to defend and counter

moral of the story: always fight people who are less athletic and weak then you

I laughed my ass off. Good one bro.

To answer the TS. The guy went hard on you because he has a fight coming up. He's not being a jerk, he just needed some work. After his fight I bet he lightens up ojn you a bunch. Its actually good he asked you to go. A pro fighter usually doesn't have anything to prove. So he either needed the help and saw you training and figured you could help him or he thought you were ready. Either way it was actually a compliment. My Kru whips my monkey ass everytime we sparr. But I take it as a compliment. He would never go as hard with the other guys because they would fold. He feels my skills are at the level where he can turn it on and I'll survive.

Ask for a critique from the person you sparred with and have someone (preferably the instructor) watch you spar and give you advice. You will get better and be able to laugh about it later.

Great advice. But not just for first time sparrers. I still do this and I have been doing this for almost 8 years now. I even ask the newbies if they saw anything. They may know less then I do, but they saw more then I did. And the day you are too arrogant to learn something from EVERYONE you possibly can is the day your training becomes less effective then it could be.

dude this is only good. first time training for me i had to spar 3 minutes with A class fighter..he kicked my ass for 3 minutes.

LOL, my first sparring session I got put on my ass by a liver kick inside of a minute. I remember it like it was yesterday. I learned two things:

1.) I need to work at this a LOT more because I suck.

2.) Bas is not bullsh*ttin about this liver thing.

I’ve been sparring for a couple of months now . I seem to sustain more injuries every time I go. Every one there is younger ,fitter and more experienced than I am . I have got better since I first started but so has everyone else. Most kicks I don’t see coming so my legs and body take a beating. Some of the guys seem to take it easy with me others make me wander if I’m not too old for this stuff

I’ve been sparring for a couple of months now . I seem to sustain more injuries every time I go. Every one there is younger ,fitter and more experienced than I am . I have got better since I first started but so has everyone else. Most kicks I don’t see coming so my legs and body take a beating. Some of the guys seem to take it easy with me others make me wander if I’m not too old for this stuff
How old are you, and what kind of injuries have you had? Are you doing drills to check and block kicks? They really help build your defensive reactions.

How old are you, and what kind of injuries have you had? Are you doing drills to check and block kicks? They really help build your defensive reactions.
I’m 61 years old. When sparring with more advanced guys I have got into a habit of keeping pushing forward with jabs In more of a boxer stance I take a lot of kicks. last night I received about 10 good kicks to the thigh 5 or 6 powerful teeps to the stomach and a smashing round house to the solar plexus all in less than a minute unable to breath felt like up chucking a lung

sparring is not a fight, its practice. Maybe you are going to hard on guys your size and thats why he "called you out". Other than that, its not right for a instructor to pick on a student.

You’d be surprised how easy people are really going When you first start sparring and it feels like people are going hard

They can probably knock you out really easy if they wanted to.

Just keep going back for more (unless you feel concussed then take three weeks off of sparring... then go back)

Just keep practicing you will get better I sparred against some killers before I’m not the greatest but I can catch someone when I start timing a lot of times when It’s someone who isn’t better than me I let them come be aggressive and just blast the front leg with a Thai kick when they coming in with a hook lol

if you spar because you want to "win" you are doing it wrong. it is not about winning and losing or "kicking ass" you can kick ass of you fight for real, but in a sparring session you need to work WITH you partner and not against him. figure things out, work on you strengths and weaknesses, try to set goals of what you wanna accomplish in that session. and if you have the feeling you could dominate the other person, don't do it! build pressure yes, bet let him/her work.
leave you fragile ego behind....

I’m 61 years old. When sparring with more advanced guys I have got into a habit of keeping pushing forward with jabs In more of a boxer stance I take a lot of kicks. last night I received about 10 good kicks to the thigh 5 or 6 powerful teeps to the stomach and a smashing round house to the solar plexus all in less than a minute unable to breath felt like up chucking a lung
My hat is off to you, sir. I hope I am still training when I reach 61. It sounds like some of those training partners are dicks. Do you have a say in who you partner up with? If so, pick those that will go at a slower pace so you can analyze what’s happening and make the necessary corrections during the sparring sessions.

I learnt a lot more getting beaten up in sparring by more experienced fighters as opposed to giving a beating to lesser fighters.

Back