Got my ass kicked in Muay Thai today

Thanks for sharing. Don't look at it as: they're bigger than you, more experienced than you, or whatever. The questions is, what did you learn from it and how to get better? That should always be your attitude. Just a thought.

I've been doing Muay thai a couple times a week for a little over half a year now. I just started sparring yesterday and i got my ass kicked. The first guy I sparred with was one of the instructors there. He is a professional with a fight coming up in a couple weeks. I could barely hit him without sustaining some kind of vicious counter and i was really pathetic with my defense. I found it incredibly difficult to defend such a wide range of attacks. I kept flinching and never seemed ready. I almost got my head taken off a few times.

Anyway I kind of felt like the instructor called me out a little bit. He came right up to me and asked if i wanted to go. Then he really didnt seem to go easy. The next couple guys I sparred with were much more experienced than I was and much bigger. I'm a small guy at 5'8 120 lbs and i boxed a guy that was like 6'3 and 6'1 or so. I still had a horrible time defending against them. I did finally kick this one kids ass who was about my size. He was not much of an athlete though so i didn't feel very proud of myself.

This troubles me a little bit. I could of sworn i was doing well. The two tall guys that kicked my ass I thought weren't very good. In drills I always thought I was way faster, hit way harder for my size and had way better technique. It seems though once you start sparring its a completely different world. I'm not used to getting hit. I flinch up a lot when shit is coming at me. I'm not trying to be the best muay thai figher or really go anywhere with it so I'm gonna keep doing it but Am I fucked as far as sparring goes? I found this to be kind of a humbling experience.

I know exactly how you feel man but don't let that get you down, you just started sparring and the getting hit part you'll get used to it. You can be a great fighter but if your not used to getting hit theres no way of you to concentrate on your stand up because you wouldn't have the confidence of being or avoid getting hit. But what you need to understand is that your gonna get hit sooner or later through out a fight and you should expect it you know and it shouldn't discourage you. You get hit you shake it off and just come back. Nobody loves getting hit but you can't really hate it.

Learn a thing or two from watching these guys:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RY6-cdukaLg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RY6-cdukaLg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Relax, it's you're first sparring session. Have fun, don't be too worry about winning. The more you get your ass kick the better you get. Don't over analyze it...just keep getting in there (stay safe though) and pretty soon everything will come clear. Your timing will improve, you'll have better defense, etc...

YEA I KNOW THAT FEELING..THEY PROLLY WENT HARD ON YOU TO SEE IF U COULD TAKE IT.. SAME THING HAPPEND TO ME WEN I STARTED KICKBOXING WEN I WAS YOUNGER.... JUS GET HOME AND RELAX... YOU'LL LEARN TO DEFEND AFTER GETTING HIT IN THE HEAD A COUPLE OF TIMES. I TOOK A KICK TO THE HEAD B4 I LEARNED TO NOT DROP MY HANDS

I've been doing Muay thai a couple times a week for a little over half a year now. I just started sparring yesterday and i got my ass kicked. The first guy I sparred with was one of the instructors there. He is a professional with a fight coming up in a couple weeks. I could barely hit him without sustaining some kind of vicious counter and i was really pathetic with my defense. I found it incredibly difficult to defend such a wide range of attacks. I kept flinching and never seemed ready. I almost got my head taken off a few times.

Anyway I kind of felt like the instructor called me out a little bit. He came right up to me and asked if i wanted to go. Then he really didnt seem to go easy. The next couple guys I sparred with were much more experienced than I was and much bigger. I'm a small guy at 5'8 120 lbs and i boxed a guy that was like 6'3 and 6'1 or so. I still had a horrible time defending against them. I did finally kick this one kids ass who was about my size. He was not much of an athlete though so i didn't feel very proud of myself.

This troubles me a little bit. I could of sworn i was doing well. The two tall guys that kicked my ass I thought weren't very good. In drills I always thought I was way faster, hit way harder for my size and had way better technique. It seems though once you start sparring its a completely different world. I'm not used to getting hit. I flinch up a lot when shit is coming at me. I'm not trying to be the best muay thai figher or really go anywhere with it so I'm gonna keep doing it but Am I fucked as far as sparring goes? I found this to be kind of a humbling experience.

I know exactly how you feel man but don't let that get you down, you just started sparring and the getting hit part you'll get used to it. You can be a great fighter but if your not used to getting hit theres no way of you to concentrate on your stand up because you wouldn't have the confidence of being or avoid getting hit. But what you need to understand is that your gonna get hit sooner or later through out a fight and you should expect it you know and it shouldn't discourage you. You get hit you shake it off and just come back. Nobody loves getting hit but you can't really hate it since its inevitable.

I wouldn't worry about that my friend!

At my boxing/muay thai gym we have the real hardcore drill monsters, they seem like pros when they are hitting the mits but the second they step into the ring they like freeze up and can't to shit.

Most of this has to do with nerves, i got my ass kicked by guys half my size the first time i sparred, i had a good 50 lbs on them and still they put the hurt on me, but after 10-20 times sparring i got the feeling of it and could relax more wich resultet in a way better performance.

You have to do drills to become better but i would recomend you to take every moment you have to sparr, do it against better guys that have control and don't worry mate after getting your ass kicked a couple of times you will get the grip of it!

It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and still keep on going (or something like that):)

Good luck with future training/sparring!

First off your instructor should not be going so hard on you, and with his height/size advantage your saying he had, it's kinda weird that he would call you out like that. Also, although you may think you have better technique against bags, its not the same when your getting punched in the face. When I first started thai boxing I was the same way. I thought I murdered the bags, but when trying to throw combos at a moving target that fires back it REALLY changes things up. getting hit right down the pipe while throwing a combo will definitely shake you up and make you think twice before trying it again... Also when you first start getting hit it's a natural reaction to flinch (more for some people then other). The only way to get over this is to get a lot of sparring rounds in, and get use to seeing the punch that's coming at you and trying to move, or block as best you can... Remember... It's the punch you don't see/watch that knocks you out.

I allways thought than no martail art can b taught to b used in self defence effectivly wo sparring being involved. Even moreso I allways held the belief that sparring, should b very common and well established part of the martial art being trained.
This comes to me as a practitioner of judo and wrestling. Now as to you and mui tai, i am a bit suprised they made u wait a year and a half before sparring, but i dont know how the sport is taught so that may b normal but i doyubt it.
As for your experinec, its very common and the onyl iregularity in it is that it took you a year and a half before feeling it.
For me in Judo, i was going full speed as soon as i learned to brakefall properly (3 or 4 weeks).
As for wrestling it was 5 or 6 weeks before the coaches allowed for us to go live.
But, I felt the exact same way as you and Im a big dude, getting served by folks considerably smaller than myself.
In wrestling it took near the whole season (bout 3.5 months) b4 i felt i ever bettered anyone.
In Judo? Took more like 6 or 7 months.
My advice?
Buck up, ur supposed to b getting ur ass kicked early on but do some research. Find some other acadamys, maybe visit them, and observe their training regimens. I doubt any Mui Tai academy that put together teams or competitors allow their students too long b4 making them spar,.
Oh, and if ur school doesnt put out fighters into open competition but just has a few that they train personally who do compete.
Find a better school.

Keep at it man, it only gets better. I remember my first boxing session (ever) was with a Golden Gloves champ here in Dallas.. he set 3 minutes on the clock and told me this was going to be the roughest three minutes of my life. He wasn't far off.. but man I sure learned to work my jab and circle in that three minutes to keep him away.

The unintentional ballshot always works wonders to get people to slowdown when going to hard.

It was your first sparring session against guys who were both bigger, stronger and more experienced than you. Of course you are going to get beat up.
Don't worry about it too much. Anyone who takes martial arts will tell you that it takes a lot of hard work and practice to get good, and most importantly, YOU WILL FAIL many times before you succeed.

Give it another six monthes of sparring and you'll be amazed.

As for the flinching, try working only defense against a controlled opponent who isn't trying to take your head off. Let him land shots on you, lighter shots that won't do serious damage. You'll get over the flinching

As a kid I would turn away from hard hit baseballs, so my dad put me in the back yard and pelted me on a regular basis. I'm not afraid of baseballs or punches anymore.

The unintentional ballshot always works wonders to get people to slowdown when going to hard.

ROFL

Thats so dangerous. There's always a guy or two who forgets their cup at home and insist on sparring. I swear i've seen guys sit for hours in the corner trying to recover from such a blow.

i have very similar experiences in sweet sci - i think a good year of non-sparring fundamentals (3-4 times a week) and conditioning is a great start - otherwise you're just running around like a chicken with no head - getting those combos into ur head so its natural, the movements, that takes time, unless you are a natural - then with sparring, i think the game is to just be ready to get your ass kicked for a long time and then beforf eyou know it you will be good - good luck homie

Chalk it up to experience.In time you will improve

you should build on this epic failure and use this epic failure as a motivator so epic failures arent a regular thing in your training.

Back