Google to acquire Twitch for $1bn: *Update* Twitch blocks copyrighted audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont like the start so far but I cant say i dont understand it.

Oh please, your exaggerating the situation.

Except he's not.

BuY4ts9IcAAm0Xj.jpg

ESA Charity Marathon just got all of their vods hit, DotA Internationals got hit...Valve vods, who created DotA2, got hit for having DotA2 music in their vods.

This is EXACTLY like when ContentID hit YouTube. The system is a massive blanket, knee jerk, guilty until proven innocent system. The only difference is people aren't at risk of losing their channels.

This, on top of the fact that highlights are strictly a 2 hr maximum cap which effects things like speed running greatly.

It sucks they're ruining VODs and highlights and all that jazz, but I'm not going to miss some of the music that otherwise quality streamers play. I can listen to my own music if I want the background noise.

It sucks they're ruining VODs and highlights and all that jazz, but I'm not going to miss some of the music that otherwise quality streamers play. I can listen to my own music if I want the background noise.

It's not just background music. Game audio and music is being muted too. On a fucking game streaming website.

Shit like the full audio of Mike Tyson's Punch Out is getting muted. All of Adam_ak's Vice City runs are getting hit. Hell, even a couple of my Freedom Planet vods got hit, and in odd sections of the game...like the middle of levels, not the entire level. It's a horribly flawed system.

It's not just background music. Game audio and music is being muted too. On a fucking game streaming website.

Shit like the full audio of Mike Tyson's Punch Out is getting muted. All of Adam_ak's Vice City runs are getting hit. Hell, even a couple of my Freedom Planet vods got hit, and in odd sections of the game...like the middle of levels, not the entire level. It's a horribly flawed system.

I know, like I said, it sucks they've ruined that stuff, but I'm talking about for future streams. There should be less streamers ruining their own broadcast with loud, obnoxious music. Hopefully.

Not a huge fan of watching a ad every single time I switch streams. Ill click a stream and have to sit through 30 seconds of ad only to find out that they are playing something else. Go right to another on and have to watch the same shit again.

I know, like I said, it sucks they've ruined that stuff, but I'm talking about for future streams. There should be less streamers ruining their own broadcast with loud, obnoxious music. Hopefully.

Well the only upside so far (or maybe downside in your case), is live streams should not be affected. Now, how long that will last remains to be seen.

Honestly, I could understand it if it wasn't such a shit system that just sledgehammers a square peg into a round hole instead of constructively and accurately performing it's job. Instead, we get an influx of mass muted vods that cause a massive uproar (exactly like what happened with YouTube and ContentID).

The real problem, however, is the US's outdated and archaic copyright laws that were never intended for the modern digital age. Things like Fair Use and user created content (lets plays, commentary, and general interaction with viewers) go by the wayside due to an absurdly flawed system.

Bad move. Youtube needs to get off streamers nuts. Monitoring background music of dudes while they play videogames is teh g@yness.

Monitoring background music of dudes while they play videogames is teh g@yness.

Background music isn't really the big issue at hand here. It's game audio itself is even being muted.

For a little context, the entirety of Zallard1's highlight of a Mike Tyson fight in MTPO got muted: http://www.twitch.tv/zallard1/c/4605350

And that's just a drop in the water compared to some other shit like every single vod from ESA was hit in some way...a stream that was done for charity.

I actually don't mind. Does everyone really want to listen to shitty rap, dupstep & nu metal?

I don't agree with blocking game music though.

It's not affecting live gameplay. So idc.

More restrictions will gradually be added. Thats what happens when some fat cat company get their hands on something.

People add their individual touch to something ,but that aint allowed now .

Funny. People "speculated" that this would happen when the Twitch being bought out by Google rumor mill started.
Confirmation of one speculation isn't evidence towards another. Nevertheless, I think Jocke is correct. Google is too big to and too capable of monetizing these potential revenue streams to expect them to operate under the table the way that twitch did before they purchased it. They're going to enforce copyright law for all the IP on their service. That's just how business works. Blame the lawyers.

Everyone can pile on Google and blame them, or they can observe the fact that Twitch was financially tepid and unsustainable as a competitor against MLG and YouTube in its model previous to being bought out. Investors lose interest when they don't see returns.

wasnt this gonna happen eventually with or without Google's aquisition of Twitch?

Well the only upside so far (or maybe downside in your case), is live streams should not be affected. Now, how long that will last remains to be seen.

Well, Imaqtpie is probably my favorite streamer and he didn't have any music last night (at least during the parts I watched). Which is 1,000,000x better than the same handful of terrible rap songs he usually listens to. And the free music people are playing isn't exactly great, but it's definitely not as annoying. So I'm happy for now.

nintendo is sharpening up their katanas. those that stream nintendo are screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back