Google, Microsoft, tech jobs, etc... are no longer "dream" jobs..

My job is a dream job to most people. We have a free buffet for employees. We got a Chinese section, Italian, there's a chef that can make you whatever sandwhich you want. There's an omelette station where someone can make you whatever omellete you want. Pancakes, waffles, soft serve ice cream, coffee, donuts, they rotate the menu often.

And I only work maybe at most 1 hour out of 8 hours per day. We got a good union pension and matching 401k. 6 weeks of vacation per year. Nobody ever gets fired. We got wifi in the shop to watch netflix, youtube, etc... We can order whatever tools we want. I can order an AC unit for my house and have the company pay for it.
And then a wizard makes all the food disappear and drops an AC unit on your head

You’re an on-call boiler repair technician on a cruise ship?
My job is a dream job to most people. We have a free buffet for employees. We got a Chinese section, Italian, there's a chef that can make you whatever sandwhich you want. There's an omelette station where someone can make you whatever omellete you want. Pancakes, waffles, soft serve ice cream, coffee, donuts, they rotate the menu often.

And I only work maybe at most 1 hour out of 8 hours per day. We got a good union pension and matching 401k. 6 weeks of vacation per year. Nobody ever gets fired. We got wifi in the shop to watch netflix, youtube, etc... We can order whatever tools we want. I can order an AC unit for my house and have the company pay for it.

What kind of work actually gets done at that place?
Edit: got my answer. Damn fine gig!

My sister’s man worked for a big game company (EA)
And was doing really good
But he left in the end (wasnt happy) and became the director of a smaller video game company
And now he loves it
He says his job is mainly just keeping his co-workers happy so they inturn work better

My Dad was tech OG who was on the Nestscape team, he helped build all that.
He eventually quit, moved out to the desert, went crazy and died

Last edited:
GPT is really good at coding and it wasn't even designed for it. Only a question of time before half of those nerds get laid off by the AIs they helped create. How's that for some justice

We can order whatever tools we want. I can order an AC unit for my house and have the company pay for it.
That is not legal conduct by any means <lmao> And if you are telling me wahtever you want in "tools" for private use your company buys I will wait for their bankruptcy filing. No company survives that.

Sounds like management there is atrocious.

Working at one of the big Tech companies has never been a dream job, not for the last 8 years or so. They pay really well and attract smart talented people. That doesnt make them dream jobs at all. Almost all of them are salary and your likely to be worked much harder than 40-50 hours a week.

Managing tech has always been the sweet spot. Deployment, management and implementing software solutions. Once it works your usually just sitting around waiting for the next project in 3 months.

Apart from the layoffs it seems like a solid job. I've been to a few tech HQs and they have the feeling of a college campus. Gyms, good dining service, rec rooms, etc.

Apart from the layoffs it seems like a solid job. I've been to a few tech HQs and they have the feeling of a college campus. Gyms, good dining service, rec rooms, etc.
Yeah all of that sounds cool until you realize your at work and want to go home after the 10 hours you've been there not play pacman or table tennis.

My wife is involved with this field and it really seems like these jobs have a 3 year shelf life where you get in, get what you can and get out because everything is fucked up.

Plus it sounds like death by zoom meetings. They have so many fucking meetings that it would make my head spin. I don't know how they get anything done because all they do is get together and talk about getting things done and then hold another meeting shortly afterward about why things aren't getting done.

Yeah all of that sounds cool until you realize your at work and want to go home after the 10 hours you've been there not play pacman or table tennis.

It's more for break time. Better to have it then not and be stuck in a cubicle.

It's more for break time. Better to have it then not and be stuck in a cubicle.
LOL at cubicle, I imagine you've never worked in a setting like that. Youll have your open floor plan desk and enjoy staring at the co-worker across from you. While sharing the same kitchen as 20 other people taking lunch around the same time.

Those rooms are for tours and stake holders, not the workers. Hence why you thought they would be nice to have.

Depends on what you do there. Not everyone is spending 10+ hours there. We certainly didn’t.

LOL at cubicle, I imagine you've never worked in a setting like that. Youll have your open floor plan desk and enjoy staring at the co-worker across from you. While sharing the same kitchen as 20 other people taking lunch around the same time.

Those rooms are for tours and stake holders, not the workers. Hence why you thought they would be nice to have.

What are you talking about? You sound like the one who has never worked in such a setting

I don't think that's true. I worked at one for a few months, had a great time, never had long hours. The cafeteria had a variety of high quality food. Never saw a stakeholder. The setting is superior to other workplaces but like any job probably the most important thing is who your manager is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doubleEYEpoke
Back