Good white belts

Bama Zulu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Has anybody rolled with those kids that have just started rolling and have gotten pretty good in a short amount of time? I have a kid at my school that has just started for about a month and he is catching on really quick. I guess it shows that grappling is an art where some people are just really natural at. Anyways, any stories about white belts that are good/getting good fast?

Nope. I have made a few mistakes with white belts, under estimating them unintentionally. Some doods are almost like Rohans (sp?) who travel gym to gym claiming they have no experience. A few have caught me & it is kind of embarassing whether they have been training or not. I wouldn't say I go all out & visciously attack a white belt, but I train at the same focus the peope trained with me when I was new.

guys with extensive wrestling backgrounds get good at jiu jitsu really fast. its got a pretty good carry over just in terms of balance and control.

I'm a white belt but I'm giving some problems to the blue belts. I'm not good or anything, I can just hang in there.

I have noticed ppl who can "hang" with blue belts even tho they're new whites is because one of three things. Or combination of the three

1) Strength advantage
2) Intensity relative to the blue belt
3) they are a wrestler

This is from my own observation

There is a guy that trains at my school (let's call him Mr. X) that is a very good white belt, he should be a blue. He is athletic, had a brief college wrestling background, and is dedicated to BJJ. When I first met him, he said he'd been training for about 6 months at another school. With me being a blue belt, it was kind of difficult on the ego because he gave me some troubles on the mat. (but that's my own ego problem)

6 months later, I spoke to a friend of Mr. X that said Mr. X has actually been training for 2 years at other schools. Now I find that sort of 'minimizing' or understatement of one's mat time to be a problem. It's rampant in BJJ. Lots of guys underplay their level of experience so that they seem better relative to their alleged time on the mat -- it's ultimately a lie designed to build them up and knock you down. It's bs. :mad:

It's blasphemy. There is no such possible thing as a guy who with only 1 year of BJJ (despite other training) can not even have a prob with blues and be hanging with purples, if so the world would implode. Atleast according to most members on this forum.

i can hang with whites who have done bjj longer than me and blues and 2 of 3 purples i've rolled with but it's safe to say the purples take it easy on me.

i've done bjj for 5 days and wrestling for 6 years. i cant tap anyone because i only know the triangle atm but unless i do something stupid (and it happens) then i am okay.

I'm a whitebelt. I've trained an accumulative of 8 months in a period of 2 years. I've almost tapped a purple on my first 3 months. Now in the gymn I am now, I have tapped one blue belt. We are 2-2, I get a quick submission or if it goes a little longer he dominates me. THe other blues I hang in there, I defend myself, but I can't get a decent submission attempt.
In my opinion it's because I'm freakishly flexible. i have gotten armbars on me, like newton had on Ryo several times, but I can manage to twist myself and get out, and becaue I follow mma and have watched some tapes, read a book, it gives me advantage.
So maybe because the whitebelt is so dedicated he can hang with the superior belts.

I'm a white belt, I can definetly hang on with blues, Never tapped one though. But dont really get tapped by blues, and whites basically very seldom.

I think a lot of white belts probably underestimate how easy the higher ranks are going on them.

I've tapped my brown belt instructor numerous times but there's just no way in hell I could hang with him for real.

Waxwingslain said:
I think a lot of white belts probably underestimate how easy the higher ranks are going on them.

I've tapped my brown belt instructor numerous times but there's just no way in hell I could hang with him for real.

Yes..............they will learn evetually..........

Waxwingslain said:
bingo. also, there's rolling and there's competition. when you're practicing, people will try for rare moves that you might not see in an event if they're still working out the kinks.

not to mention that a purple is not set on killing a white. he probably wont let a white tap him for bragging rights but if he wanted, he'd probably have you in a minute.

Waxwingslain said:

Yeah, u do got a point there. The higher belts will just play positioning with u most of the time.

I don't care who you are, sometimes you just get caught. Sometimes your having an off day and a white is having a good day. Sometimes your going easy and they get ya. Hell, I've been tapped by whites, I'll admit it... but I'll tell you one thing, when a white catches me its my own fault, when I tap them it's cause I know the game better than them. I can live with that and learn.

I'm a white belt have been doing BJJ for like a week and i tapped a purple. I have some wrestling experience though but I just think it's because i'm a natural at BJJ. There's this move that if you do it right you'll totally get them.... all you have to do is make sure they're preoccupied and distracted then sneak up behind them and slap on a tight ass rear naked choke.

seriously though nice thread

maybe purples tap to you because they're afraid you'll spaz out and try to injure them to say you beat a purple?

Waxwingslain said:

Ha ha. Very very true. I thought I was "the man" of white belts. I wasn't tapping the higher belts but I was confident I could hang with them and put up a good challenge, not getting tapped at all during a lot of rolling sessions. Then I saw the guys unleash was they had in competition and realised I was indeed just a white belt ass clown who was lucky to train with guys who were nice enough not to kill me in the first 10 sec of rolling. I sucked up my ego from that point onwards.

But to get back to the original post, there is a guy at our club who was a freaky white belt. Just picked it up straight away. He's very athletic and strong, but credit where credit is due, he trained six days a week and would always ask to roll with the best guys in the club, get tapped mercilessly then ask for more. So I think hard work got him there, got his blue in 9 months or so and now (after only 20 months or something) can push the pace with the purples and even gives the brown belt instructor a run for his money. He's da man.

FiendishOne said:
It's blasphemy. There is no such possible thing as a guy who with only 1 year of BJJ (despite other training) can not even have a prob with blues and be hanging with purples, if so the world would implode. Atleast according to most members on this forum.
lol here comes bj again.

Not saying you cant be good with prior experience... Were saying you cant be good WITHOUT it.

Back