Good white belts

Bama Zulu said:
Why do you think the gi is stupid?
so i started my training without a gi for about a month before we started rolling with gi's. I think it is dumb to choke someone with your clothing or their clothing. Maybe it has something to do with relating bjj back to mma, but I can't stand the thought of taking my gi out to wrap around someone's neck and choke them

Gsoares2 said:
Youve never rolled with a gi yet you think its stupid?

How many guys in the finals of the adcc this year train gi?
Who were the Finalist?

#1 Just because you tapped some guy once doesnt make you better than him #2 You dont like gi because your not any good at it.. You think your good at no gi and when you try to do gi you get your ass handed to you. Your ego is to big so you refuse to try and learn with one because the things you know, the things youve learned; do not work so well.. Your slippery yank of the arm doesnt get you out of everything..

ill stop there because this is going to turn into one of those nogi vs gi things again.

Notice it always guys not being able to deal with the gi that complain they think its "gay".... like a kid saying he hates reading and having never finished a book before.
i didn't say i had never rolled with a gi, i only said that it was the second day that i had rolled with a gi on. I don't dislike the gi because I am not as good at it, and I don't think that just because i tapped someone who is more experianced than i am that i am better than he is, i was simply saying that I was pumped about it, as anyone who had been training for one month would be. Have you ever tapped someone or done well against someone who was better tahn you and you felt proud about it afterwards? I am not refusing to try to learn bjj with a gi either, i train 5x a week and now every one of those sessions will include a gi. You have to realize that somepeople will prefer nogi to gi and respect that.

Roy im not saying i dont respect that and never said one bad thing about no gi.

Your exact words were "Gi is gay" that makes just as much sense as me saying No-gi is gay...
But i like no-gi both have their pros and cons.

RoyMunson said:
so i started my training without a gi for about a month before we started rolling with gi's. I think it is dumb to choke someone with your clothing or their clothing. Maybe it has something to do with relating bjj back to mma, but I can't stand the thought of taking my gi out to wrap around someone's neck and choke them

try choking someone wearing a tshirt, 90% of the chokes work the same way.... you will be surprised... do it to one of your friends.

No gi while wearing a speedo and no t-shirt is gay.

Gsoares2 said:
try choking someone wearing a tshirt, 90% of the chokes work the same way.... you will be surprised... do it to one of your friends.

Lol, dumbass. Did it never occur to you the person would just rip off their tshirt if you tried that shit in a real situation?

And did you ever think that it only takes about 10 seconds to get choked out? Now whip that on one of your friends or buddies, that will just sit there while flailing about and not thinking clearly as they slowly see the darkness, especially if you slap on a tight one.

Anyways, Roy, I find it silly how you talk about respecting people's preference yet you said Gi is gay. Everyone has a respect for people's preference, it's the reasons WHY they prefer it that we respect. If it's something dumb as "I dun like gi, it's gay" then people won't respect that.

I think you need to factor in the progression of belts and what level your goals of achievement should be.

FiendishOne said:
Lol, dumbass. Did it never occur to you the person would just rip off their tshirt if you tried that shit in a real situation?

yeah you try taking off your tshirt when someone has you in a head an arm choke. your the dumbass you fucking redneck...

How the hell could you rip of your own shirt if you were controlled in side mount? while your busy Hulk hoganing your shirt ill just rain down elbows..

Bama Zulu said:
And did you ever think that it only takes about 10 seconds to get choked out? Now whip that on one of your friends or buddies, that will just sit there while flailing about and not thinking clearly as they slowly see the darkness, especially if you slap on a tight one.

Anyways, Roy, I find it silly how you talk about respecting people's preference yet you said Gi is gay. Everyone has a respect for people's preference, it's the reasons WHY they prefer it that we respect. If it's something dumb as "I dun like gi, it's gay" then people won't respect that.

10 seconds on a weak choke at that... if its tight and cutting off the blood then 4 seconds... count em out. Do a vid search of frank shamrock choking out a radio show host... between 3-4 seconds the guy is out cold, but its from an rnc.

I know the chokes work fine on people wearing shirts because ive used them in real life situations on the street.. The guy ripping off his shirt in mid choke is the last thing in the world any one should be concerned with... I feel confident saying it WILL NEVER HAPPEN

im a blue belt i tapped my instructor the other day. oh yeah he got his fingers caught in my gi and they almost broke. still made me feel good. :D

I wrestled for 2yrs before I started Jiu Jitsu 4months ago. I hang with guys who have been training there for 2-3yrs.

Its really all about your knowledge of submissions. I mean I watched MMA all the time before I started JJ and its really upped my ability in my opinion. I can sort've feel things coming to me. When I first started my sub-escapes were crazy good.

Wylian said:
I'm a whitebelt. I've trained an accumulative of 8 months in a period of 2 years. I've almost tapped a purple on my first 3 months. Now in the gymn I am now, I have tapped one blue belt. We are 2-2, I get a quick submission or if it goes a little longer he dominates me. THe other blues I hang in there, I defend myself, but I can't get a decent submission attempt.
In my opinion it's because I'm freakishly flexible. i have gotten armbars on me, like newton had on Ryo several times, but I can manage to twist myself and get out, and becaue I follow mma and have watched some tapes, read a book, it gives me advantage.
So maybe because the whitebelt is so dedicated he can hang with the superior belts.

tapping people in class is not competition, yes you can guage your progress to a point but higher belts sometimes intentionally get in bad positions(if they did not from time to time or resist 100% all the time the lower belt would never learn much) with lower belts in order to get some practice for themselves(escapes,"what would they do in such and such position") and make it a better match for both

now in competition, the whole point is to win
now if you tap people ther it actually counts

I am a white belt with 2 stripes... This month makes 1 year of BJJ training.... I have tapped blues and can hang with blues for sure.... I am 1-1 in competition.. Won the first match 11-0, lost second 2-0 to a really really good white belt..... I had a couple of months of judo, and backyard submission wrestling growing up on guam but nothing too formal... I believe I will get my blue soon... Train smarter and harder and you will exceed for sure... It's possible..

There is a recently promoted blue belt at my academy who got his blue belt in 6 months... Dood was giving me hella problems when he first started because he wrestled in high school and he had a incredibly rough top game filled with neck cranks and shit that just hurt my neck altogether.. after 3 months his bjj fundamentals went thru the roof and he was tappign me like crazy and he got his blue after getting Gold in Rialto, CA a month ago or so........ I can definately see him getting his purple in less than 2 years... For sure...

FiendishOne said:

Haha dickhead, you just try to rip your shirt off while your getting choked the fuck out with it. Or are you going to say " STOP THE FIGHT, i need to rip my shirt off so you cant choke me with it". Fool.

Gsoares2 said:
not trying to start this debate, but my t shirt would rip, or I could just rip it. It is easy as shit to tear a t-shirt, but gi's are reinforced. I just don't like it plane and simple, it sucks not being able to shoot on someone because they grabbed your gi, or not being able to spin in a direction because someone is holding on to your gi.

Do you "Gi is Gay" guys all wear paper T-shirts or something? What about jackets and other kinds of clothing?

Maybe you just don't know how to do a gi choke because I can't see anyone getting out of one by ripping their clothing.

The whole point of gi trainig is that your opponent can nullify your strength and quickness by gripping your gi. It makes you a more technical and defensive fighter.

I'm not saying gi is better - I like both.

RoyMunson said:
not trying to start this debate, but my t shirt would rip, or I could just rip it. It is easy as shit to tear a t-shirt, but gi's are reinforced. I just don't like it plane and simple, it sucks not being able to shoot on someone because they grabbed your gi, or not being able to spin in a direction because someone is holding on to your gi.
if the guy reaches up while in a choke to rip his tshirt, then you armbar, or kimura.. just like with a gi.. Its like magic almost.

anyone coming from a wrestling background should be way ahead of the game and pick up things much faster... if they don't, then they were either horrible wrestlers or picked the wrong sport... from my experience, it's been very rare that someone from a non-grappling background has picked things up at an unusual pace... sure those more athletically inclined do better but not freakishly...

but saying someone from a wrestling background is picking up bjj fast is like saying someone from a boxing gym is picking up muay thai really fast...

Back