good fighter that got huge ?

Ivica Truscek

Orange Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
is there any good fighter that was naturaly small and weak, but decided to get huge and strong (what most of us here is trying to do), and is doing good at his new big bodyweight ?

I don't think most in here are trying to get huge, just strong.

i do know that tatsuya kawajiri, after his loss to takumi, took a year off from fighting and focused on his strength and conditioning.

rEmY said:
i do know that tatsuya kawajiri, after his loss to takumi, took a year off from fighting and focused on his strength and conditioning.

it shows too. that dude is big (for his weight) and ripped.

AnteGotovina said:
is there any good fighter that was naturaly small and weak, but decided to get huge and strong (what most of us here is trying to do), and is doing good at his new big bodyweight ?

By fighters I assume you mean MMA fighters. At the top level of MMA, guys who have put on a good amount of muscle mass have generally not faired as well as they did at the lower weights.

At the lower levels, simply increasing your overall strength will put you at a big advantage against a similarly skilled opponent.

However, at the top levels, such as pride and ufc, the problem with concentrating too much on just strenght training (which overwhelmingy goes hand and hand with steroids) is that those fighters tend to neglect other aspects of their training and their overall skill level suffers as a result. Also, the added muscle mass puts a greater strain on their cardiovascualar system and they don't do the necessary training to increase that either.

The prime example of guys like this are Kerr, Coleman, and Randleman, all great wrestlers, who didn't bother to evolve like their top level oppenents did, and instead tended to rely on just their strength.

Others examples include Belfort, Sapp, Ken Shamrock, Frye etc.......

BOBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU SAPPUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Hey, you guys ever watch the old Pancrase types that Bas was in? When they announce him those little ****s that scream into the microphone are totally unable to say his name, it sounds like:
ASSAY OIIIIIIITAAAIIIN

Definetly Sapp, if that guy had a lil more heart and started MMA earlier, I doubt anyone could beat him.

Carnal, how bout Bas' fight with Lil Shammy? FRAAAANKYYY SHAAAMROOCKKUUUUU

I can't believe you guys just called bob sapp a good fighter. Haha

Brand Nizzle said:
I can't believe you guys just called bob sapp a good fighter. Haha
Wow, I would have to agree with this post. My favorite fight was when he fought Cro Cop and thought he would overwhelm Cop with his side until he met cops left leg and coward like a baby needing a diaper change. What a pussy. He has absolutely 0 heart in my opinion. He reminds me of Gary Goodrich. The guy can dish out a beating but when it comes to taking one he rolls over and quits because he is a puss.

I didn't call him a fighter, my whole post was goofing around you dickeaters. Although I do agree that if Sapp were as skilled as somebody even like, Kerr, he'd rip through people.

Allow me to play devils advocate if you would. MMA is a very new sport, at least the incarnation of MMA that we see in most venues today. I think everyone would agree with that. So there has been a great deal of change as the sport has become continually more popular, since say, the first UFC. So we have a rapidly advancing and rapidly changing and evolving environment and set of skills/tools we're talking about here. Old school martial arts wives tales are that heavy weight training will hinder your fighting, so many of the older fighters grew up with this mentality and thus impliment weight training improperly, or are loath to do so in the first place.

As far as guys like Coleman, Randleman, you can look to the anabaolics, and an obviously lacking cardio regime for their gassing, more so than their being muscular.

Being stronger and more powerful is always an avantage in a fight. Some muscle size comes with that, but there is no need to go significantly outside your natural range for most fighters.

Ok, ive got it. But you've got to agree, Sapp is a bum compared to other MMa Guys. His only quality is his size and that alone is not nearly enough. That is why when he faces quality competition he gets beaten miserably. He is not even on the same level with most MMa fighters. Would you agree with that statement Mr. CArnal sir?

rickdog said:
Ok, ive got it. But you've got to agree, Sapp is a bum compared to other MMa Guys. His only quality is his size and that alone is not nearly enough. That is why when he faces quality competition he gets beaten miserably. He is not even on the same level with most MMa fighters. Would you agree with that statement Mr. CArnal sir?

I think most everybody agrees with the fact that Bob Sapp is a shitty fighter and needs a lot more skill because size alone just won't cut it.

Yeah, I don't think anybody is trying to say otherrwise.

The point is if he DIDN'T suck he'd be a nightmare.

The only fighters that should be concerned with hypertrophy and gaining weight should be the heavyweights (like me, bitches).

For the rest of you, it's a matter of strength in relation to bodyweight, since you're only allowed to be so heavy. This is strongly related to body composition. So your goal shouldn't be to get bigger, it should be to get leaner, and convert your superior ratio of muscle/fat into greater strength at your weight.

Mick, you realize this board is mostly like, 14 year old kids who weigh 115lbs and think they are bad because they do BJJ twice a week right? they need to grow.

CarnalSalvation said:
Mick, you realize this board is mostly like, 14 year old kids who weigh 115lbs and think they are bad because they do BJJ twice a week right? they need to grow.

Haha, no, no, I so didn't.

They need to grow? Do they really need strength training for that? Can they just like, I dunno, age?

well, some of them are older.

But this board is by and large, el-scrawny. Most of them could stand to put on a few lbs of lean mass. And by a few, I mean like 20.

CarnalSalvation said:
well, some of them are older.

But this board is by and large, el-scrawny. Most of them could stand to put on a few lbs of lean mass. And by a few, I mean like 20.

Ah, in that case, I recommend (choose on of the following, you don't need them all):

NSCA's Essentials of Personal Training (for the ambitious)
Serious Strength Training by Tudor Bompa
Designing a Resistance Training Program by Steven Fleck
Complete Keys to Progess by John McCallum

If you're not willing to read, you don't deserve to get bigger.

I disagree. Most books on training, including those you listed (besides the McCallum book) I'd consider overly technical garbage that'll do nothing but cloud a lifters mind.

Training is best kept simple, especially for the novice.

Back