Good Capeoira Practitioners?

this shit is epic :eek: not exactly something you would train to expect

Well when a guy who throws kicks to wrecks you comes at you, you gotta get out of the way or get wrecked right? As previously stated by someone else, they would hit your arms to break them, not going to just be blocked.

Well when a guy who throws kicks to wrecks you comes at you, you gotta get out of the way or get wrecked right? As previously stated by someone else, they would hit your arms to break them, not going to just be blocked.

My coach would probably disagree he likes to stand and block as opposed to moving back and forth

about the same as every other stand up art that doesn't train ground fighting

Anecdotal evidence:

I have a training partner that has done Capoeira and Muay Thai for about 10 years. He teaches Capoeira and has a good deal of experience with it.

I was sparring him about a month ago, and I put him in a head lock. I lined my feet up to give him a judo style hip throw and I felt like I was in a perfect zone for it. As I got into position, he dropped his hips lower than mine, turned into me, fought out of the head lock and came back up into a single collar tie to fight with me.

Afterwards, I asked him if he had been doing any judo. He said, "no, but in capoeira we get low for defense a lot. I wasn't sure what you were doing but it felt like an attack so I did what came naturally and it worked out."

It might not be a grappling art, but I think the structure of it has some advantages.

One of Helios Gracie's recorded loses was to a Capo guy. The art has a lot of sweeps and take downs in it, plus being low to the ground by nature gives a strong defense against takedowns.

(The Capo guy also happened to be a former student of Helios as I recall, though so take it with a grain of salt. )

Back