Good Capeoira Practitioners?

TheFinerDetails

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Has there been any really good Capoeiristas or anyone who bases their striking around Capoeira in MMA or Kickboxing? I'm a bit laggy when it comes to the Kickboxing world and really don't know.
Don't wanna know about those special "AMAZING KO!" type of guys who pull off one sweet ass kick once in a decade, I mean someone who actually goes out of their way to use the basics of Capoeira.
I always thought it could be used well as a MA in MMA or KB as long as you stick away from the tricking/showoff part of it. As in, not cartwheeling over a leg kick.

The only one I can think of is Jean Silva , Chute Boxe guy who fought Gomi in PRIDE.

I'd watch with the sound off, tbh.

i did capoeira for about a year (i would still be training if my teacher's lease didn't end). honestly i have a feeling that most capoeira practitioners don't learn enough about "real" fighting to actually apply their techniques. yes, playing in a roda is fun and is our simulated version of fighting, but it's still too much of a game.

i'm sure there's a fair amount fighters out there who use capoeira as their main style, but their schools are not the norm (at least in north america).

In Brazil there are a LOT of badass capoeiristas, but I don't have footage, sorry. Some MMA fighters have capoeira background like Cezar "Mutante".

This doc in portuguese (sorry) shows a lot about capoeira culture and masters. They even had a "hell's course".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHnPkKZxcmQ

I like that they call their belt exams "baptism", and in more traditional schoolls it's a real baptism by fire... Another cool thing is that everyone gets a nickname and you'll be called forever that way by your friends, usually it's about one's personality.

Cezar Mutante. [Yt]RY9AMzMT2Xw[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
No disrespect intended, but IMO having some "crazy kicks" to augment your striking is probably very helpful. I personally feel more traditional base in kickboxing is more ideal.

In the vid Sinister posted, I think the tall dude might have done fine if he hadn't found himself backed into the corner and cut off from lateral movement. (Easier said than done and not implying I would have KTFO'd the capeoira dude.)

i did capoeira for about a year (i would still be training if my teacher's lease didn't end). honestly i have a feeling that most capoeira practitioners don't learn enough about "real" fighting to actually apply their techniques. yes, playing in a roda is fun and is our simulated version of fighting, but it's still too much of a game.

i'm sure there's a fair amount fighters out there who use capoeira as their main style, but their schools are not the norm (at least in north america).

Did you do regional or angola?

Oh yeah, and have a second serving if you believe the first one was a fluke:

They aren't capoiera based that I know of but Brian Ebersole throws a hilarious cartwheel kick and Rousimar Palhares throws some sweet looking kicks vs Dan Henderson.
Having a cap background would be fine but the focus is on not kicking people and doing moves for show not, so looking to fix things up like the hips in a position to backup certain kicks.
And setting up the range and using the hands and feints could definately make them more useful.

There is a theory called high percentage moves. A quick jab or kick will land more times than a jumping roundhouse kick.

yeah but roundhouse kicks have a higher knockout percentage. so not landing is not the issue, the problem is how vulnerable you get when you miss it.

You will be happy to know that a high guard does not mean shit to guys like that - they will break your arm and knock you out through it if they are serious.

Nuke doesn't play a high guard, I don't think? Idk, I think there might be some footage or a thread about it somewhere...

As to the capo question, it's like anything else- take what works and toss the rest. Being unorthodox means your opponent hasnt trained to fight a guy like you. That's a distinct advantage.

Did you do regional or angola?

i trained at a school that was a dual association with capoeira mandinga and United Capoeira Association. Mandinga is more contemporary and UCA is more regional from my understanding. I would identify more with contemporary or angola (picked it up from a previous instructor).

Angola is IMO notably more combat applicable than regional.

Capoeira from Angola (as we call in Brazil) is very slow paced, taichii-like, and always near to the ground.
Capoeira regional, or street capoeira, is more flashy and acrobatic, but practiced strongly and with a lot of speed.
Both are practiced in the same events, usually when the percussionists change the rhythm.

In events held in the street, you see unknown peasants entering the "capoeira weel" to give a try. Usually construction workers and people from lower social classes. In these type of event you'll rarely see violence, only a happy reunion.
In closed events they batter each other and you better not be the newbie...
When there's a fight inside the well, they usually don't seem to care too much and don't stop the musics, but a more experienced guy enters the weel and gives to the bully one a "classy" beating, with some ashi-barais and fast counters.

Capoeira is very popular in the states from mid-east of Brazil, like Rio de Janeiro and Esp

Last edited:
Capoeira from Angola (as we call in Brazil) is very slow paced, taichii-like, and always near to the ground.
Capoeira regional, or street capoeira, is more flashy and acrobatic, but practiced strongly and with a lot of speed.
Both are practiced in the same events, usually when the percussionists change the rhythm.

In events held in the street, you see unknown peasants entering the "capoeira weel" to give a try. Usually construction workers and people from lower social classes. In these type of event you'll rarely see violence, only a happy reunion.
In closed events they batter each other and you better not be the newbie...
When there's a fight inside the well, they usually don't seem to care too much and don't stop the musics, but a more experienced guy enters the weel and gives to the bully one a "classy" beating, with some ashi-barais and fast counters.

Capoeira is very popular in the states from mid-east of Brazil, like Rio de Janeiro and Esp

this shit is epic :eek: not exactly something you would train to expect

Back