• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Golovkin vs Monroe Jr 05/16

It was a fun fight to watch.
Monroe came to win.

Funny though, when he stopped trying to be the better boxer and brawl he looked better. When he tried to be the countering boxer he didn't look so hot.

But, definitely time for GGG to fight a Canelo or Cotto or Quillin or winner of Lemieux/N'Dam or even Danny Jacobs or Lee.

I'm sure some name in that bunch would fight him.

Monroe did very well against GGG, and presented a great account for himself but it was only delaying the inevitable as those big shots landed and wore him down. GGG is the best pressure fighter in the boxing, and he needs a big name opponent to agree to take the test to so he can display it on the big stage.

The best pressure fighter in boxing fought last night, but it wasn't GGG.

Certainly if he fights Canelo or Cotto first, then Ward but if he fights Ward first he could be throwing away money. If he fights Ward I think GGG knows as well as anyone he could very well lose. Then what's his stock worth? Makes much more financial sense to fight Canelo/Cotto first and destroy them before taking a fight he could lose. Plus the Ward fight would be worth more then. Wards name doesn't carry so much weight because he's been off for so long. Let him come back and beat someone and a GGG match up will be worth more for both fighters. Just seems like common sense to me.

The point is that he might be waiting upwards of a year to do that. If he wants to be a star right away, fighting Ward would probably give him that chance. Now, I'd have no problem with Golovkin staying at MW and trying to clear the division out, but if he wants to be a star, he probably needs other big name opponents.

is ward really a star?

No, but beating him would undoubtedly make GGG one (and would give GGG a claim to being p4p #1). Again, what makes the most sense for GGG is to wait for Canelo (whenever that fight becomes a possibility), but he's not getting any younger and he wants to be a star.

Was at the fight last night. Was pretty awesome.

Cool little story.

So we had cheap seats. We decide to sneak down right before the Roman fight. We find an entry not gaurded and find great seats. We sit down and all of a sudden a guy comes up to the seats in front of us and says "hey can I get a pic". This guy right in front of us stands up and it's fucking Leo santa Cruz.

Got a pic with him. Chopped it up with him for awhile. Told me he does really want to fight rigo but thinks the mares fight will be easier to make.

Great night of fights. Ggg looked like he gassed for a second but monroe was making ggg miss big with those bombs after the 2ND round.

Would love to see ggg against canelo more than anyone. Cotto I would love but cotto is smaller. Ggg said he won't go down to 154 for canelo.

Ward I want but after canelo

Pics motherfucker!! Post that here!

Since he fights nobodies.

burn-o.gif

Why are we not talking about roman Gonzales...this guy is for real..

He looked like an absolute monster last night. I've never seen a 112-pound person appear so powerful. The crowd loved him too, he got a great response.

They need to keep putting him on undercards of big fights to get him enough exposure to build a following like GGG has.

But most importantly, these guys need competitive fights. Roman, Vasyl, and GGG all need to be in against the best possible competition if they want their popularity to grow. I may be in the minority, but I think Vasyl did very little for his popularity by beating up that bum on the May/Pac card. It's just not entertaining enough to watch a talented fighter beat a bum, unless they get a highlight knockout, which he did not. Roman and GGG sure deliver that, though.

It was a fun fight to watch.
Monroe came to win.

Funny though, when he stopped trying to be the better boxer and brawl he looked better. When he tried to be the countering boxer he didn't look so hot.

But, definitely time for GGG to fight a Canelo or Cotto or Quillin or winner of Lemieux/N'Dam or even Danny Jacobs or Lee.

I'm sure some name in that bunch would fight him.

I think that was more Golovkin's doing than Monroe's. Golovkin's style is built around the hunt, he moves well coming in from range and applies effective pressure with his lead hand, gets his punches off and then establishes midrange again. But when somebody comes to fight, Golovkin is usually content to trade with them because he a) has a lot of faith in his power (and rightfully so) and b) can't box effectively moving backwards.

And personally, I don't think he has much of a defense at close range. Golovkin is definitely a fighter who is very reliant on distance for avoiding punches. And when he's up in your face swinging, he's not coming from angles or really moving his head as much which makes him significantly easier to hit. On top of that, Golovkin likes to square up a fair amount on the inside and he swings wide with those big hooks. And though Monroe might not have all that much power, he's got those quick hands and he saw his openings, got off first and cracked Golovkin with some good punches.

I think we saw some shades of this against Stevens who was effectively applying counter pressure and actually backing GGG up before getting rocked and having much less success trying to fight off the back foot. Then he started letting his hands go again after a few rounds and put up a good fight but eventually got worn down.

After last night, I think Canelo gives him a run for his money as long as his chin holds up. I know the Hatton fight still might raise a few questions but since then he's faced good punchers in Lara and Kirkland and took the abuse quite well. I also think Lara presents an interesting matchup. I know I just said that Golovkin does best against guys fighting off the back foot but Lara is a bad man and possesses a vastly higher boxing IQ than anybody Golovkin has fought so far in his career.

Troof

roman_gonzalez.0.gif

a joke about him fighting bums

Gonzalez is maybe a bit more than a pure pressure fighter though. We've seen Gonzalez be happy to fight on the backfoot a bit and he boxes at range. The goal is always the same I guess: come forward and pin them up against the ropes to unleash punches, but I wouldn't say Gonzalez is a pure pressure fighter in the way Golovkin is. Gonzalez also looks to counter more than GGG does. I agree on the whole though that Gonzalez is overall the superior fighter than GGG, including at pressuring, and he's faced he better comp by far. Sosa has faced a whose who in the lower weight classes: Wonjongkam, Viloria (whom he beat), Segura (another guy he beat), Sonny Boy Jaro (former lineal champ he beat), and Yaegashi among others, but nobody did to him what Gonzalez did last night.

I think another example of a good pressure fighter nowadays is Frampton. Wouldn't say he's as good as Golovkin or Gonzalez necessarily, but he's one of the best in the game right now.

Last edited:
a joke about him fighting bums

Gonzalez is maybe a bit more than a pure pressure fighter though. We've seen Gonzalez be happy to fight on the backfoot a bit and he boxes at range. The goal is always the same I guess: come forward and pin them up against the ropes to unleash punches, but I wouldn't say Gonzalez is a pure pressure fighter in the way Golovkin is. Gonzalez also looks to counter more than GGG does. I agree on the whole though that Gonzalez is overall the superior fighter than GGG, including at pressuring, and he's faced he better comp by far. Sosa has faced a whose who in the lower weight classes: Wonjongkam, Viloria (whom he beat), Segura (another guy he beat), Sonny Boy Jaro (former lineal champ he beat), and Yaegashi among others, but nobody did to him what Gonzalez did last night.

I think another example of a good pressure fighter nowadays is Frampton. Wouldn't say he's as good as Golovkin or Gonzalez necessarily, but he's one of the best in the game right now.

Oh i get it. That hurt iron fist. Very deeply hurt me. I need to go watch mad max again to feel manly again. Then I'll come at you bro

Oh i get it. That hurt iron fist. Very deeply hurt me. I need to go watch mad max again to feel manly again. Then I'll come at you bro

bruh, that's not how I meant it haha, just saying that LSC is looking to fight no-namers.

Go watch mad max and inject some tiger blood into your veins, that'll restore your machismo and then you'll be able to come at me.

Back