Gokor or Gracie Barra?

Gokor is the shit. Go there. Judo and wicked leg locks. Just, well, you should probably learn Armenian.
The World Champion has spoken, I would not argue with her. I would want to train with Gokor so my Judo would be usable no-gi.

Wow, Hayastan has really come a long way from $70 a month. If it's anything like how I remember, beginners might have a difficult break-in period. Injuries are a little higher since they don't hold off teaching leg attacks, all you'll get is... "Be really careful... this can really hurt your opponent."

That said, Gokor's a great guy and great teacher. Unfortunately, I can't directly compare it to GB.

^ You certainly dont have to train with Gokor for that...

i'd stick with GB, the price is good and you can train whenever you want

This depends a lot on your monetary situation. If an extra $25 for fewer classes won't satisfy you, then the styles are moot. Otherwise, go to both and see.

at GOkor's gym when the rolling takes place, are they including heel hooks to be legal for everyone? Does Gokor (or the instructors) supervise the rolling carefully? ANd does everyone there go for neck cranks and leg locks full force?

there has been at least two posters here talking about how their necks got jacked at gokors.

Romolu will be opening a school soon . when he finds a new location . Stay tuned.

My instructor was trained under Gokor and still works closely with him (if you watch some seminars he's probably one of the guys you'll see getting tossed around). And from what I've seen and heard from him Gokor is very tough with students...but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I like their system of grappling incorporating so many styles. Really comes in handy for tournaments...when you start standing helps to know some judo and other takedowns.

at GOkor's gym when the rolling takes place, are they including heel hooks to be legal for everyone? Does Gokor (or the instructors) supervise the rolling carefully? ANd does everyone there go for neck cranks and leg locks full force?

yes, we would roll with heel hooks and neck cranks, but he would stress to apply them slowly because they're the most dangerous.

But the techniques are used regardless of level. I remember Karo accidentally blowing out a wrestlers knee because the wrestler rolled the wrong way to try to get out of a heel hook.

Now I don't think this is a bad thing. You have to learn these techniques at some point. It's my opinion that BJJ holds back too much based on concerns of injury. That's why I feel BJJ practitioners, in general, aren't as explosive as wrestlers and Judoka.

newbs, especially meathead newbs, with heel hooks is honestly like giving a roomfull of chimps access to handguns and meth

I'm making some assumptions but I'm guessing your talking about Gracie Barra Encino. My advice would be to train at Gokors. Talk to him and let him know it's a commute and you'll probably be about 5 minutes late everyday.

Judo Gene is not going to be around forever. Train with him while you can.

If you do decide to go to GBE, don't sweat it. Rommulo Barral is one of the best BJJ guys in the world right now and Alberto Crane is a complete wizard on the ground as well. Either way you can't go wrong.

yes, we would roll with heel hooks and neck cranks, but he would stress to apply them slowly because they're the most dangerous.

But the techniques are used regardless of level. I remember Karo accidentally blowing out a wrestlers knee because the wrestler rolled the wrong way to try to get out of a heel hook.

dear god....

Now I don't think this is a bad thing. You have to learn these techniques at some point. It's my opinion that BJJ holds back too much based on concerns of injury. That's why I feel BJJ practitioners, in general, aren't as explosive as wrestlers and Judoka.

Judo and wrestling are by nature explosive styles. It's very difficult to slam someone slowly... but what i don't understand is what does easing heel hooks and neck cranks have to do with explosiveness? Also, wrestling and Judo are olympic sports that attract atheletes, not so with bjj.

I would train at gokors, but then again i have been grappling for some time now and know how to defend/when to tap. Heel hooking/neck cranking a noob that doesn't know how to defend it is amazing....

Last edited:
so forget about the TDs. how is the actual ground fighting there? decent guard work at all?

Back