Gokor or Gracie Barra?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Splatterbeast, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Where would you go if you were in my shoes?

Gokor Pros

-Teaches variety in grappling arts (Sambo, Judo, BJJ, Catch Wrestling)
    -Not too far from me, but it would force me to rush to class immediately after work
    -Obviously has made a name for himself, so it seems 'legit'

Gokor Cons

-Kind of pricey ($175/month for 3 classes a week)
    -Sort of far, not fond of the idea of stressing out to make it to class on time

Gracie Barra Pros

-Very close by, no rushing, no stress
    -Another school which seems very 'legit'
    -Price is good ($150 for unlimited amount of classes)

Gracie Barra Cons

-Only teach one style of grappling
    -I'm interested in also incorporating Catch into my grappling
    -Sambo seems cool/interesting
    -The pricing isn't that far off from Gokor's and you're only learning one dimension of grappling, whereas the other makes up for pricing with variety

2. McClure

McClure Orange Belt

I love Gracie Barra. Obviously, the owner/instructor is going to make a big difference. Joshua Miller runs the two schools I attend and he encourages us to compete. Tourney prep (Naga or Pan) takes your game to a new level and focuses your training, imo.

The best answer is probably to try both schools for a week or two and pick the one you feel most 'at home' with...

3. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

^^^ Yup. Try both. See what ya' like. Sign up. Train like hell. In that order.

4. good grips

good grips White Belt

I would be awesome to train with gokor sometime!!

5. joe90210

joe90210 Blue Belt

there is an incredible amount of stuff to learn and master in BJJ, I wouldn't put so much emphasis on learning a whole bunch of different grappling arts all at once.

6. True, but looking at the Gokor class schedule online, they have "No Gi Grappling" which I assume they teach all of the keypoints of all those styles mentioned, making you more of a complete and well-rounded grappler. At least that's the assumption I'm on, but at the same time I see it like you, like you can almost be an 'incomplete' grappler having not mastered any of the styles in depth and to their full potential.

ehhh....

I was also considering signing up for wrestling at a community college just to add an extra edge to my BJJ.

7. Easto

Easto Green Belt

It sounds like you have found 2 good schools in your area. I don't think you can go wrong with either school. If I were in your position my choice would come down to: Where can I get the most mat time.

If you pick GB you could always see doing some drop ins with Gokor or even some privates to learn a few Sambo or wrestling techniques you are interested in.

8. Sounds like a good idea, I didn't think about just a couple sessions or whatever here and there with Gokor while going to GB consistently. Something to look into thanks.

9. wiseguy$$

wiseguy$$ Blue Belt

I trained at both, Gokor is a verry good school ! Depends on the Gracie Barra , good instructor means a lot! Find a good Instructor you get a good school.
    Gracie Barra is great , cover a lot of stuff! Hayastan covers a lot of stand up and leg locks!

If you could do both do it! Hayastan is kinda a more advanced school!!!

10. Awesome. Which Gracie Barra did you go to? What was it like?

11. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Gokor's is very old school and rough. Be prepared to get roughed up with throws and leglocks too. They are both so different. It seems like you really know the differences and understand them, it's just a matter of deciding what you want out of your training.

12. nefti

nefti Red Belt

i have nothing but respect for gokor but if you do a search you will find that several people have gotten hurt there. THat won't happen in GB just because they don't throw you in with the wolves who do neck cranks/leg locks. IF you had been grappling for a while (purple or a very high blue) turning to gokor would be a good idea. but for noobs...

13. Varth

Varth Green Belt

I'd say stick to one style for the moment and incorporate things when you get better. I suggest GB first and maybe have a few classes with Gokor a couple years down the road to learn some different stuff. Cramming a huge amount of stuff into your brain at one time causes it to overload and honestly unlimited classes for cheaper = awesome.

14. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

Gokor is the shit. Go there. Judo and wicked leg locks. Just, well, you should probably learn Armenian.

15. hustles

hustles Green Belt

I love Gracie Barra, but I would always recommend a beginner try out ALL the schools that are close to you and pick which feels right for you. Everyone has individual goals when it comes to training and after taking a free class or two at each of the local schools you will know which one feels right for you.

16. SAMBO1

SAMBO1 White Belt

Yeah try both! Me I would choose Gokor!

17. tlrnick

tlrnick Orange Belt

If you're a beginner I suggest GB, although Gokor is the shit like another poster stated "you will get thrown to the wolves the very first class" and you might get hurt down the road, leg locks, neck cranks galore.

18. dokomoy

dokomoy Green Belt

If you're near Gokor I assume the Barra gym you're looking at is Gracie Barra Encino? I've stopped by there a handful of times over the last year and a half, very good instruction there. I haven't been to Gokor's gym, but I've heard people who love it and people who hate it. The best advice as always is to find all the gyms in your area and try them out before making any kind of decision.

Speaking of trying all the local gyms, depending on where you are my gym Jean Jacques Machado

19. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

I'm going to say the same thing as all the other people, it really depends on the GB instructor.

My suggestion is the same as I give everyone looking to choose between two schools, go to both and then make a decision. Most schools that are worth their weight offer a free trial class that you should take advantage of.

20. Kozbot

Kozbot Purple Belt

175 a month for only 3 classes

FUCK THAT DUDE