Gokor or Gracie Barra?

so forget about the TDs. how is the actual ground fighting there? decent guard work at all?

isn't gokor's system based on top work ?

In that case I wouldn't expect much much guard emphasis.

isn't gokor's system based on top work ?

In that case I wouldn't expect much much guard emphasis.

It's my understanding that Gokor teaches a very well rounded system of grappling that does not neglect guard work.

I've seen videos of people training at his old facility and they were working on different techniques from their backs.

Judo and wrestling are by nature explosive styles. It's very difficult to slam someone slowly... but what i don't understand is what does easing heel hooks and neck cranks have to do with explosiveness?

Absolutely nothing... no one's going to explode into a heel hook. My point was that BJJ tends to be really careful about avoiding injury (not a bad thing).

If you look at Judo and wrestling, they are just as explosive on the ground as they are standing. That's why when you guys get a new Judoka or wrestler on the BJJ mat, they're so intense - almost spastic. That's also why injury is so much more common in competitive wrestling and Judo training.

I can see the merits of both training styles. Hayastan is more intense in rolls than what you'll find at the average BJJ gym in my opinion.

IF you are talking about Gracie Barra/Encino, there shouldnt be a choice. Romulo Barral teaches with Alberto Crane. You are talking about a world class competitor in his prime.

I dont regularly train there, but I have. Extremely tough and competitve class. The students are very good.

I never rolled with Alberto, but I rolled with Romulo. He is an absolute monster. I dont think I ever had my ass kicked like that. I think I tapped 11 times in 12 minutes.
I am a brown belt by the way...very humbling.

I train at a Machado style school. I'd go Gracie Barra. Don't wast $175/mo. for what may be only 12 classes a month.

Absolutely nothing... no one's going to explode into a heel hook. My point was that BJJ tends to be really careful about avoiding injury (not a bad thing).

If you look at Judo and wrestling, they are just as explosive on the ground as they are standing. That's why when you guys get a new Judoka or wrestler on the BJJ mat, they're so intense - almost spastic. That's also why injury is so much more common in competitive wrestling and Judo training.

I can see the merits of both training styles. Hayastan is more intense in rolls than what you'll find at the average BJJ gym in my opinion.

The fact that you are standing with judo and wrestling are the reason that you are more prone to injury due to gravity. You can't tap during a throw. I would say that is why there are more injuries.

with bjj the other person has a chance to tap.

I wouldn't say being explosive on the ground is what is causing the injuries. usually with ground injuries someone is cranking subs to fast or the other guy is not tapping, and also what subs are legal as the difference between pain and snapping is more narrow in some subs than others.

IF you are talking about Gracie Barra/Encino, there shouldnt be a choice. Romulo Barral teaches with Alberto Crane. You are talking about a world class competitor in his prime.

I dont regularly train there, but I have. Extremely tough and competitve class. The students are very good.

I never rolled with Alberto, but I rolled with Romulo. He is an absolute monster. I dont think I ever had my ass kicked like that. I think I tapped 11 times in 12 minutes.
I am a brown belt by the way...very humbling.

Should any of the other Gracie Barra schools be just as good? Are any of the other schools Alberto is at just as worth my time/money?

(everyone else is saying Romulo Barral doesnt teach at GB Encino anymore)

I wouldn't say being explosive on the ground is what is causing the injuries. usually with ground injuries someone is cranking subs to fast or the other guy is not tapping, and also what subs are legal as the difference between pain and snapping is more narrow in some subs than others.

Fair enough. Most of the injuries I've seen (but not all) have been due to falling and impact. I remember Gokor was very particular that no one "crank subs" and I couldn't ever remember it being a problem.

Also I realize that there's a huge difference in the type of submission being applied with regards to pain tolerance, severity of injury, and how much pressure before damage. But how do we decide when these techniques should be learned? It's true the chance of severe injury goes up if you're not willing to tap. But if the more dangerous techniques are absent from the beginning, you start to develop bad habits due to a false sense of security.

... maybe it's one of those agree to disagree things as I see merit to both sets of reasoning.

Gracie Barra.
Simply because you can train more and it is definitely going to be decent so it's not exactly a gamble...
It WOULD be awesome to learn from Gokor though.

Seems like the consensus is:

Train at GB and drop in to Gokors once in a while.

And I'd agree with that.

Seems like the consensus is:

Train at GB and drop in to Gokors once in a while.

And I'd agree with that.

Sounds like a plan and makes sense, only Gokor charges $125/month for 1-2 classes! So maybe one month when I'm feelin' frisky I should just shell out 125 and train a couple classes a week for the month with Gokor while still going to GB and then disappear for a month and go back the next or something like that? I wonder if he'll work that out, hopefully there isn't a contract. Only one way to find out tho, I'll be dropping by his place to talk and see what it's like.

Should any of the other Gracie Barra schools be just as good? Are any of the other schools Alberto is at just as worth my time/money?

(everyone else is saying Romulo Barral doesnt teach at GB Encino anymore)

Its still a good school, Romulos school will be open soon

I highly recommend GB Encino or Pasadena.

I believe they do No Gi as well at GB, but I went in to one a few months ago and the guy said you had to be a black belt to do No Gi. He had an ultra thick accent, so maybe I misunderstood, but do you really have to be a BB to do No Gi?

i used to train at GB pasadena
prof. alberto is as nice of a person as you can possibly imagine and he personally teaches most of the classes
coach orlando is a solid grappler with ridiculous strength, (he squats around 500+ lbs for reps) and he'll teach you a thing or two about proper eating/lifting if you ask him
the guys are absolutely nice and very helpful
and from what i understand, if you're registered unlimited at gracie barra pasadena, you should be able to train at sityodtong pasadena if you wanna try out muay thai (i'm not sure if this is still the case, but it used to be)

and prof. alberto actually trains with all the armenians and guys like karen darabydian sometimes come thru the gym
no idea about hayastan school, so i can't comment, but i'm sure they're excellent

only thing i can personally guarantee is that alberto's the man and you'll have a blast. the guys who train there are also really nice and helpful guys. if you have any questions about the school, feel free to pm me, i'll try to answer as best as i can based on my own experience

Back