Law Going to jail over medical bills: Kansas

To be fair, he didn't go to jail over medical bills.

He went to jail for not showing up to court.

Makes for nice clickbait though.

This ends up falling on the tax payers after that person dies in like 2 years.

My step dad just had a lung collapse. Racked up a million bucks in medical fees. He’s got a monthly payment plan for it but he’ll be dead before 99% of it is paid.
I really wish Obama would have started with medical costs instead of trying to throw everyone on insurance. Now, insurance is 10X the cost and deductibles 10x higher. Obama just sped the process up. If no on will address costs, nothing good happens. Trump is at least forcing places to post costs. He got alot of shit for it and it doesnt start until next year, but its a start.

And yet they provide free health care in prison.

at least they get free medical care whilst in jail

I get this in theory, but its pretty ridiculous for the government to throw you in jail over a sham system theyre aiding.

Telling someone with no insurance and no money to take a day off work so a court can tell them how much their spleen cost them is a complete waste of time and resources.
True it’s bullshit, I denied a amulance ride but because I just collided head first into another skater and was discombobulated as fuck and without my friends. I was forced into a literal like three block ride to San Francisco general where I bled out in a gurney for several hours. The ride there was shitty because as soon as these two fat emts my age forcibly strapped me to a gurney someone started stealing shit from the bystanders surrounding me and next thing I knew people where throwing punches over me strapped to a fucking gurney. These fools put the nose tubes and didn’t turn the oxygen on , I literally had to instruct them on what to do as if they were some straight EMT b scrubs. Dudes didn’t even know what to set to the oxygen too. Well in the historical the first person that interacted with me basically lied and tried to get me to sign some forms even though I denied care in the first place. I think they tried to charge me something like 20k for a literal maybe 5 minute walk from Potrero skatepark. Worst part was I think these assholes let me bleed out so they could assemble their med students because I waited maybe 6-8 hours to get wheeled down into a basement level where I had like a group of 10-15 students who all took turns giving me local anethisia. I remember they gave me more then the legal dose lol cus I kept telling my head fucking hurt and I felt high as fuck off that, and they said this was like double what they were suppose to give me. Even after my insurance did pay for everything I still got bills for several years even though my ‘account’ was handled.

My mom got bait and switched by Kaiser when she went for a surgery to get a growth removed, they told her it would be 10-15k and my family, not including myself, pays a total of something like 2700-3k a month and they ended up trying to charge her out of pocket 75k for that surgery.

shit and medical is garbage , I spent around two years of back and going forth with them to finally get an X-ray covered for a broken finger. I literally don’t use my medical because of this. The worst part is all the mail and wording of everything government run is so an convoluted that I have a hard time comrpehndeding. I always wondered why my grandparents always had trouble with their medi cal paperwork and now I know why. Its like the write it purposely in a way that is hard to understand. Sometimes the letters aren’t even grammatically correct to the point where they don’t make logical sense. If my two PhD drop out parents with 5 master degrees between them have a hard time deciphering some of the dumb letters and rules then how would the average American understand?

I gotta say I hate getting a letter every month that says , ‘here is your rights hearing on your coverage’, which makes you think you just lost your coverage. I used to be extremely stiff on my belief that healthcare should be paid out of pocket and not through tax dollars but that was when I had insurance coverage under my parent.

To be fair, he didn't go to jail over medical bills.

He went to jail for not showing up to court.

Makes for nice clickbait though.
True but he might've not shown up in fear of them maybe garnishing his wages or something. Can't say I don't blame the guy and it seems like his county is set up against him. Generally, when you go to jail you don't pay shit. I know of two people who got dui's and spent like a month or so in jail straight after being arrested and both of them didn't have to pay their fines or go to dui school. One guy I believe, since he drives a truck for a living and the other guy is like 35-40 still lives with his parents. But you are right, this is more akin to some dumb ass black dude I got booked with. Dude was in jail because he forgot he had a bench warrant, like how do you forget you got a bench warrant.

Mixed feelings, I think it's kind of sleazy but I also think that requiring two court misses before this triggers a bail penalty isn't insane. You have a court date, show up.

The problem is, if these people are on shift work, perhaps tenuosly employed, they might not be able to get time off for a court appearance without losing money or their jobs. If they are scratching and so poor, having them have to do this every three months is a pretty big imposition.

Back