• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PlayStation God of War series: Next setting hints and wishes?

Let's explore the kin and culture of...

• Total voters

Valhoven

Parliament of Will
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Spartans,

From Ancient Greece's Aegan Sea to the bite of Nordic taiga and tundra, we've battled and bled across many a world setting.

Where would you like Kratos and Atreus to venture to next? Or have you any clues as to where you think Sony SM will already be taking us?

What on latter I can recall is Barlog in passing mentioning his affinity for Ancient Egypt while also expressing an interest in Mayan mythos. To add, unambiguous in-game eggs exist in reference to Japanese and Keltic 'worlds' existing, even looking like ways to go (as in travel) from Ragnarök 'map' corners.

On this, recent murals (maps or forebodings, really) throughout our journey have depicted symbols for Ra, the Egyptian god of the sun, as well as the Mitsudomoe, a powerful visual associated with Japanese Shintoism for man - earth - sky. I'll throw these up below for those interested.

Ra: (Egyptian sun god's eye)

GoWE.jpg

Mitsudomoe: (Shinto for man - earth - sky)

GoWJ-removebg-preview.png
Preferences? Thoughts?

Ancient Egypt is a hard sell for me because I can't get Bayek's journey out of my head when I think on it. As much as I like to call out Ubi for all their bull, Ubi's Montréal subsidiary absolutely crushed that setting in Assassin Creed's Origins, IMO. Haven't voted yet but am leaning toward Japan, which has also been done to death but would be something Sony could provide inexhaustible third-party or backyard resources for, I imagine.

Probably Egypt. Shinto is pretty colorful, but I dunno if the mood of those games is a great fit

Egypt was covered somewhat in the comic bridging the original games and 2018.

There was a lot of mentions / references to Celtic mythology in Ragnarok so I think that's next.
I could see Sony SM outdoing themselves with the visuals Scotland so readily lends given Highland, Hebridean, and various castle/clan stronghold settings. Anything pre-Keltic Pictish has remained largely unknown too so there's a lot of interpretation there for creative licence, magic, druid seđr et cetera. Sheep boss incoming.

Honestly anything non mainstream. Sumerians would be awesome imo. Touched on in The Forgotten City.
I would absolutely love this (Sumerian) – but just don't see it happening.

Probably Egypt. Shinto is pretty colorful, but I dunno if the mood of those games is a great fit
Well said. I don't know enough about Shintoism to say one way or another but I've long filed it under peaceful religions like Buddhism, so I'm not sure how warring a philosophy Sony SM can leverage for action-adventure purposes; maybe that's the plot though, that Shinto has been corrupted by some force and Kratos need discover and combat said forces.

Wherever we go, I want as little Atreus play as possible. Lol. Just keeping it real. Kid is tedious to me. Go be a shinobi, medjay, or druid over there, kid; I'll be here doing man biz.

<{RoseRun}>

Well said. I don't know enough about Shintoism to say one way or another but I've long filed it under peaceful religions like Buddhism, so I'm not sure how warring a philosophy Sony SM can leverage for action-adventure purposes; maybe that's the plot though, that Shinto has been corrupted by some force and Kratos need discover and combat said forces.
It’s a shamanistic kind of religion where they believe in a spirit world. There are gods and stuff to kill, so it could work. I just think it would be a weird flavor for Kratos

Ancient mesopotamia. More specifically the neo Assyrian empire which was famous for it's brutality. They have a rich mythology and a unique aesthetic that is underutilized.

It’s a shamanistic kind of religion where they believe in a spirit world. There are gods and stuff to kill, so it could work. I just think it would be a weird flavor for Kratos
Kratos + DMT = God of Hallucination

With 2 hour shinobi poison dart mission starring Champion of the Jötnar, Atreus Rogan.

Jamie-san, sand-mandala that sh*t up.

Wherever we go, I want as little Atreus play as possible. Lol. Just keeping it real. Kid is tedious to me. Go be a shinobi, medjay, or druid over there, kid; I'll be here doing man biz.

<{RoseRun}>

1000%

I honestly can’t think of anything that would excite me as a premise alone. Egypt sounds most logical but my favorite mythologies have already been done by them lol.

I’m along for whatever SSM wants to do next. Make it and I’ll play it.

Reactions: hsz
Ancient mesopotamia. More specifically the neo Assyrian empire which was famous for it's brutality. They have a rich mythology and a unique aesthetic that is underutilized.
Throw some gods or goddesses up for us. Sounds crazy; I like it but am ignorant.

Throw some gods or goddesses up for us. Sounds crazy; I like it but am ignorant.

You have Gilgamesh the half human half god of the famous epic.
His companion the wild man Enkidu.
Utnapishtim the immortal man who survived the flood.
Ishtar the jealous goddess of war and love.
Ea or Enki the god of wisdom.
Marduk the king of the gods.

Monster wise.
You have the bull of heaven that Gilgamesh fights.
Lamassu the human headed griffin type of creature that you see usually guarding palace doors.
You have many types of dragons and Chimera type of monsters sometimes multi-headed with different horns.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Mesopotamian_legendary_creatures

If we are talking the whole scope of ancient Mesopotamia It's a big list of gods and monsters and Kings enough to fit one game easily.

Would be cool to see them reconstruct the old palaces and grand Ziggurats(temples) of old Mesopotamia. I remember visiting the British museum and seeing the Assyrian lion hunt reliefs which was really cool.

watch it if you have the time.

Last edited:
Going to post in the other thread later as I be just finished this (what a ride, replayed 1 just before so it’s been a long road)

In my opinion they will combine maybe 2 or 3. I don’t think the next one will concentrate on one mythological realm at all. I consider the last two 10/10s but I really would like to kill more gods. Egypt will100% be one of them

<{RoseRun}>

His next variant may be much less annoying though. A young adult who’s grown up and has experienced the real world on his own but would still get schooled his father. I can see a lot of comical interactions (how u been, I’ve done drugs?? Are you still a Virgin? U know what an orgy is???)..

As to what next mythology I think Egyptian would make the most sense. But there are some great suggestions in this thread. Really intrigued with Gilgamesh and ancient Mesopotamia.

Back