PBP GLORY 79: Collision 3, Sat. Oct. 23, 11:00 AM EST/8:00 AM PT PBP Discussion Thread

Who wins in the main event?

• Total voters
In regards to style "Dutch Kickboxing" is really just an offshoot of Japanese Kickboxing. They aren't that different.

And it's a worldwide style not just limited to those countries. (But yea those two countries still does it best)

I meant apart from Rico of course. Let's not pretend Beztati is only "top" because the division left for greener pastures and he's king of the leftovers, might as well be the regional circuit with the guys left in that division. Also, yeah (not pulling the race card or anything) but i just wondered about Dutch through-and-through guys, though that's unfair really. It just seems like nobody like the Dutch guys of the past is even on the horizon, though maybe i'm just not in the know enough.

It's just a new generation now and I don't think KB is as popular nowadays as it once was during K-1 and It's Showtime for who you call the "Dutch through-and-through guys". A lot of those guys who were still at the top not that long ago (Robin van Roosmalen, Nieky Holzken, etc.) started their careers in K-1 and continued through It's Showtime and Glory.

Now though when those guys retire or semi-retire, the new guys to take over from The Netherlands are mostly immigrant descent indeed and that's mostly who KB appeals to for a professional career in Western Europe nowadays.

I saw a discussion on it before and iirc basically in the Netherlands kickboxing has developed a reputation for being the sport of criminals and all the soccer moms are putting their kids in MMA instead or kickboxing. A similar social dynamic to boxing in America, and just as boxing is becoming more international so is kickboxing.

Reactions: Gio
I saw a discussion on it before and iirc basically in the Netherlands kickboxing has developed a reputation for being the sport of criminals and all the soccer moms are putting their kids in MMA instead or kickboxing. A similar social dynamic to boxing in America, and just as boxing is becoming more international so is kickboxing.
I could see them not putting their kids into Kickboxing because of criminal perceptions, but are they really putting them in MMA instead? Didn't realize their was even much of an MMA scene in The Netherlands. I would imagine they would be putting them into Soccer instead.

Here in Brazil things are different, at least in São Paulo e Mato Grosso do Sul states, MMA is badly well reputed because there a lot of trash ppl that train and just mess around with everybody trying to get a fight in a bar, party, everywhere...

Random af but the dutch Robben is my favorite soccer player of all time.

I could see them not putting their kids into Kickboxing because of criminal perceptions, but are they really putting them in MMA instead? Didn't realize their was even much of an MMA scene in The Netherlands. I would imagine they would be putting them into Soccer instead.
Yeah I imagine KB was behind non-combat sports even in the 80s and 90s. But MMA seems to have a pretty good reputation in my experience. Like its only a step beyond strip mall karate class.

Random and maybe off topic but damm moroccan fans are insane
They are still arguing on youtube and instagram that jamal should win and it was a robbery
One guy was saying that jamal even didnt punch rico while on the ground, dude was fighting with the video
I wonder what would be of glory without these crazy nationalistic fans, cuz they seem to be a big of part of the current fandom

I don`t like these crazy Moroccan fans either. At some point they event started to fight with security during Collision 1 I believe in Germany. The fans of Badr even got into the ring at some point. Of course, if we look at the audience of Glory in recent times more than half of them are of immigrant background. If we re-watch a gala from It`s Showtime, the audience is dominantly white. It seems that native Europeans (Dutch) are slowly turning away from kickboxing and from martial arts in general. The only big native Dutch name is Rico...that`s it. The organization is dominated by immigrants (or by people of immigrant background) and Eastern Europeans. If I were Glory, I would pay more attention to countries like Poland or Romania. The fans from these countries would deserve a proper gala there after so many years.

Last edited:
The nationalistic fans make it fun in my opinion, its like watching FIFA but instead of inflatable balls its human heads being kicked

I don`t like these crazy Moroccan fans either. At some point they event started to fight with security during Collision 1 I believe in Germany. The fans of Badr even got into the ring at some point. Of course, if we look at the audience of Glory in recent times more than half of them are of immigrant background. If we re-watch a gala from It`s Showtime, the audience is dominantly white. It seems that native Europeans (Dutch) are slowly turning away from kickboxing and from martial arts in general. The only big native Dutch name is Rico...that`s it. The organization is dominated by immigrants (or by people of immigrant background) and Eastern Europeans. If I were Glory, I would pay more attention to countries like Poland of Romania. The fans from these countries would deserve a proper gala there after so many years.

Romanian kickboxing scene its big so it might be a good idea
Poland idk much about it

Yeah I imagine KB was behind non-combat sports even in the 80s and 90s. But MMA seems to have a pretty good reputation in my experience. Like its only a step beyond strip mall karate class.
It’s the opposite here in the SF Bay area. Muay Thai gyms tend to have cleaner reputations than mma gyms. Not that mma is synonymous with criminal enterprise, but it is perceived to attract a thuggish element that is absent in the Thai boxing scene.

So what is the current state of Glory? Is it on life support, waiting for final nail in the coffin or just severely depleted?

I just know that many of their top fighters either went to One or transitioned to MMA

I don't know about Glory's current financial status. We know it's roaster has taken a hit, but I gotta say I bought every PPV event they did this year and every one was super entertaining and worth the money.

Back