Give Me Evidence that MMA/UFC are is dying in popularity?

Jesus Christ.. come back a few hours later and the poll is in favour of "Yes, I think the popularity of MMA dying".

Yep, most people on here are retarded. Always kind of knew, but this just confirms it.

Exactly! This poll should be used as a disguised way to weed out the retards from the non-retards.

We already know that in the main demographics of 18-35yrs, MMA has already exceeded boxing in terms of popularity. Considering the fact that boxing has been around for much longer, that's actually a pretty great accomplishments. Also, the fact that MMA and Jiu Jitsu gyms across the U.S. has continually been growing should also be more evident of that. Even my girlfriend and a couple of her friends were talking to me about "training UFC," and 6-7 years ago I don't think that would of ever happened. The UFC is on mainstream television and covered by both FOX and ESPN, what more could you want? Not to mention the fact that MMA is without a doubt the fastest growing sport internationally than any other sport by far. Let's see baseball or football do that.

Exactly! This poll should be used as a disguised way to weed out the retards from the non-retards.

We already know that in the main demographics of 18-35yrs, MMA has already exceeded boxing in terms of popularity. Considering the fact that boxing has been around for much longer, that's actually a pretty great accomplishments. Also, the fact that MMA and Jiu Jitsu gyms across the U.S. has continually been growing should also be more evident of that. Even my girlfriend and a couple of her friends were talking to me about "training UFC," and 6-7 years ago I don't think that would of ever happened. The UFC is on mainstream television and covered by both FOX and ESPN, what more could you want? Not to mention the fact that MMA is without a doubt the fastest growing sport internationally than any other sport by far. Let's see baseball or football do that.

I don't think MMA is dying at all and I always ask the people who claim it is to actually show some evidence to back their claims. Having said that, I really don't see the evidence for claims like this, either.

I lost interest in UFC with their constant BS hyping of everyone being the greatest and the WMMA. I watch bellator and free UFC cards on DVR only now. Back in the day I would plan my night around UFC now it's an afterthought

You lost interest because of "bs hyping?" What do you expect them to do? If you're a fan you should be able to look past it.

And as far as WMMA goes, you could consider it a piss break and not watch.

That being said, we need to squash these two things:

MMA is not the fastest growing sport in the world anymore, and
MMA can be the biggest sport in the world

I don't see how both of these are true, especially the latter, but if either of them are, someone can provide evidence that would suggest it because I just don't see it.

Cards are watered down. The fights may or may not be good, but I'm sure as hell not gonna pay to watch a bunch of guys that I don't care about. Hell it's difficult to get excited for the main events these days.

2014 main events on PPV:

UFC 169: Barao vs. Faber II
UFC 170: Rousey vs. McMann
UFC 171: Hendricks vs. Lawler
UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira
UFC 173: Bar

I don't think MMA is dying at all and I always ask the people who claim it is to actually show some evidence to back their claims. Having said that, I really don't see the evidence for claims like this, either.

Admittedly, I don't have any statistical hard data on international numbers (although they do exist), and we can argue the legitimacy of that statistical data all day, but simply looking at the amount of markets the UFC has successfully entered over the past decade and the amount of international fighters that have emerged, I think its safe to say that MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world.

And if not number one, then definitely top three. You could nit pick all you want about how to measure that as well, but I think combat sports is one of the only few competitions that is universally understood.

here some reasons not all maybe
chael sonnen getting main event/title shots/tuf
bj penn edgar coach tuf
events on too late-brown vs silva main event was on like 12pm late
giving main event fighters prelim fights,fake feuds,ufc on fox needs 1 or 2 super fight a year,weak main events co main-ex:cormier vs cummings,not giving certain exciting fighters title shots.

Admittedly, I don't have any statistical hard data on international numbers (although they do exist), and we can argue the legitimacy of that statistical data all day, but simply looking at the amount of markets the UFC has successfully entered over the past decade and the amount of international fighters that have emerged, I think its safe to say that MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world.

And if not number one, then definitely top three. You could nit pick all you want about how to measure that as well, but I think combat sports is one of the only few competitions that is universally understood.

What markets have they really expanded into successfully, though? Not even a decade ago the biggest MMA market was Japan. That market has all but collapsed. Internationally, that would be a massive stain on most sports. Now, American, Canadian and Brazilian MMA went through a considerable rise in popularity during this same time period and MMA has established itself as being a pretty safe and stable niche sport in each of these countries, I think. Other than these three countries, and, oddly enough from certain things that I've seen, maybe Poland, MMA is way on the fringe in the majority of countries. That's fine as far as I'm concerned because there is plenty of money to be made by merely being successful in the United States and Canada as the NFL has shown us, and MMA's popularity in Brazil is a nice bonus.

I really don't buy that they're making any real significant headway in most other countries, though. From what I've seen MMA's growth has pretty much stagnated in the UK. Ireland is showing some promise with McGregor as a potential star, though that's only really potential at this point. Scandinavia, particularly Sweden, is showing a bit of potential. Russia is a country that one would think should have real potential to become a stable and successful market for MMA, but that's still a work in progress. Australia and New Zealand also appear to show some interest and potential (and they have had a bit of following there for awhile from what I gather), but it's nothing groundbreaking from what I've seen.

One thing that helps another combat sport like boxing and hinders MMA internationally is the existence of an amateur infrastructure.

It's actually not dying at all, if anything, it's on its way up once again like in the Brock days or Chuck & early GSP day's. People don't realize how the UFC is becoming Global on a rapid pace.

If you compare Dana's statement that the UFC will challenge soccer as the biggest sport in the world to the idea that MMA is dying, it's less retarded to say it's dying.

I'm not saying it is dying, but thinking it will ever come close to any of the team sports is even more stupid.

It's a fringe individual sport/entertainment. It will be in the mix with boxing, tennis, wrassling, bodybuilding, golf, cycling, bowling - whatever.

None of these are either dying or taking over the world.

Globally it's pretty clearly growing. More than enough to make up for the slumping US

How is it not on decline?

Fewer stars, fewer draws, fewer good cards from top to bottom, lower PPV buys, weak attendance at certain events, fight pass turning off fans, sponsor issues, TRT issues, etc.

I don't see how anyone can not see how it's in some kind of dip. Not a free fall by any means but it's settling for sure.

What markets have they really expanded into successfully, though? Not even a decade ago the biggest MMA market was Japan. That market has all but collapsed. Internationally, that would be a massive stain on most sports. Now, American, Canadian and Brazilian MMA went through a considerable rise in popularity during this same time period and MMA has established itself as being a pretty safe and stable niche sport in each of these countries, I think. Other than these three countries, and, oddly enough from certain things that I've seen, maybe Poland, MMA is way on the fringe in the majority of countries. That's fine as far as I'm concerned because there is plenty of money to be made by merely being successful in the United States and Canada as the NFL has shown us, and MMA's popularity in Brazil is a nice bonus.

I really don't buy that they're making any real significant headway in most other countries, though. From what I've seen MMA's growth has pretty much stagnated in the UK. Ireland is showing some promise with McGregor as a potential star, though that's only really potential at this point. Scandinavia, particularly Sweden, is showing a bit of potential. Russia is a country that one would think should have real potential to become a stable and successful market for MMA, but that's still a work in progress. Australia and New Zealand also appear to show some interest and potential (and they have had a bit of following there for awhile from what I gather), but it's nothing groundbreaking from what I've seen.

One thing that helps another combat sport like boxing and hinders MMA internationally is the existence of an amateur infrastructure.

While I agree with alot of what you said, I have a different perspective on the matter. When you look at the sports growth over the past decade, it's pretty amazing how fast it's grown and how widespread especially since the sport really got its foothold in this country within the same time span. I don't think you can really point to any other sport that has achieved so much in the same time span, and the sport is still so young.

In terms of stagnancy, I think the biggest hurdle is have fans who can root for there own country men. So I think nationalism plays a huge role in a sport like MMA, and of course the amateur infrastructure is an important aspect as well, as you've pointed out, but again the sport is still young.

I disagree with your assessment of Japan, the sport is still alive and well there, with many mma gyms. I think the biggest hurdle for that market is the politics of the country, which I think is always an overlooked issue, especially considering just how difficult that hurdle was in our country.

Also, don't forget that you have TUF Mexico coming soon, a TUF Japan is on the horizon, as well as China. China is not really talked about as a market on this site, but believe me it is. I've traveled to China and lived there for a short while, and you'd be surprised at the number of mma gyms that exist there. Again, the politics there is going to make this a slow process, but I believe it's only a matter of time.

While I agree with alot of what you said, I have a different perspective on the matter. When you look at the sports growth over the past decade, it's pretty amazing how fast it's grown and how widespread especially since the sport really got its foothold in this country within the same time span. I don't think you can really point to any other sport that has achieved so much in the same time span, and the sport is still so young.

In terms of stagnancy, I think the biggest hurdle is have fans who can root for there own country men. So I think nationalism plays a huge role in a sport like MMA, and of course the amateur infrastructure is an important aspect as well, as you've pointed out, but again the sport is still young.

I disagree with your assessment of Japan, the sport is still alive and well there, with many mma gyms. I think the biggest hurdle for that market is the politics of the country, which I think is always an overlooked issue, especially considering just how difficult that hurdle was in our country.

Also, don't forget that you have TUF Mexico coming soon, a TUF Japan is on the horizon, as well as China. China is not really talked about as a market on this site, but believe me it is. I've traveled to China and lived there for a short while, and you'd be surprised at the number of mma gyms that exist there. Again, the politics there is going to make this a slow process, but I believe it's only a matter of time.

The difference in the strength of professional MMA based in Japan between now and 10 years ago is pretty shocking. There aren't any Japanese promotions making anywhere close to the money that Pride or even the FEG orgs were making in their heyday. There still may be recreational interest (I can't speak on participation numbers), but the commercial viability of the Japanese MMA scene has completely disappeared. Now, Singapore's One FC is going to be interesting to watch. I'd say there is a decent chance it goes belly up relatively soon, but if it does see some long term success, I may have to reevaluate MMA's international potential.

Much like Bob Arum's recent forays into China, I'm not overly hopeful for MMA finding real commercial viability there anytime soon. Perhaps there is long term potential, but I certainly don't see it happening anytime soon. A Chicano who speaks poor Spanish isn't likely to captivate the Mexican public to the extent where MMA will become anything really meaningful there in the near future. Boxing is extremely well established in Mexico and the majority of Mexicans I know (anecdotal evidence, I admit) show no great love for the grappling elements of MMA (and, as I've long said, why would anyone bother watching MMA only for the striking when there is far better striking in other sports). Is there some potential in Mexico? Probably. It's very limited potential to my eyes. MMA, and the promotional company that is synonymous with it does good business in three countries. The two stars who have really helped drive the popularity of the sport in Canada and Brazil respectively are either retired, or on the downswing of their career.

If I were worried about the overall health of the UFC, I'd focus on solidifying and establishing the sport in the three key countries before I start focusing all of my resources on expansion into places where MMA has no real footing to begin with. Just my opinion, of course.

MMA was never going to challenge the top sports because its an individual based sport that can be awfully boring at times.

IN regards to Boxing, MMA is in the same boat..

MMA is just reaching its reality point where the fad fans lose interest and the ones who actually like the Sport still tune in..

It wont die yet its days of high earnings are well an truly over.

Most of us Americans only look at it from our point of view only. In North America it has seemed to stagnate. But overall, on a global scale, it seems to be on the up and up.

Not in decline per say but definitely stagnant.

Because the UFC has no star power right now. They need to bite the bullet and accept that fighters need to be built up as well not just the UFC brand,

They seem to be slowly coming around, doing more tune up fights and letting fighters be more creative with the promoting rather than forcing them to stick to the same tired script.

mma has been on the decline since 2010, this is pretty common knowledge

I remember when there were so many pubs showing UFC PPVs and now it is hard to find any at all. Usually have to settle for Boston Pizza, and typically less people than usual which is strange since you'd think it would be packed since there are less bars showing events.

I lost interest in UFC with their constant BS hyping of everyone being the greatest and the WMMA. I watch bellator and free UFC cards on DVR only now. Back in the day I would plan my night around UFC now it's an afterthought

That's just you though.

Back