Give Me Evidence that MMA/UFC are is dying in popularity?

It's not fashionable to wear mma branded clothing anymore

Can't really say it's dying, the UFC seems to be struggling to create new stars.

I think some people really bought into Dana's biggest sport in the world bs. Whether they admit it or not.

A sherdog poll isn't gonna give you much evidence.

I just think it's in a lull right now. Things will kick back up again hopefully.

A sherdog poll isn't gonna give you much evidence.

To be fair 4-5 years ago you would get a whole shitload of responses and votes on this site. Mostly voting no, passionately. Maybe that in itself says something.

To be fair 4-5 years ago you would get a whole shitload bunch of response and votes on this site. Mostly voting no, passionately. Maybe that in itself says something.

Few years ago, sherdog would 404 if this thread was created.

i dont think it is waning, but the waxing has slowed a bit

That's a good way to put it.

It also doesn't help that the UFC's biggest stars, historically, have mostly left the sport. Chuck was a common name, Rampage, Tito, Couture were all known. GSP and Silva are the two biggest stars currently and one is retired while the other lost two in a row and is/was injured. Brock was another guy who brought in a huge audience and he was pretty much done in 2011.

The UFC needs a few big draws to headline some high number PPV events and people will settle down with the MMA is dying notion. In my opinion, they should focus on giving their current champs more air time, especially since some are injured and out of the spotlight for a large portion of time (Pettis, Cain, Hendricks, every other injured champ) so the non hardcore fans will forget about them. It's good to see Pettis doing some analyst work as he isn't fighting til the end of the year, but I think they need more guys doing that kind of work. Cain especially, since he isn't a loud mouthed trash talker who would get his name out there on his own.

Last edited:
It's not dying but it's definitely not surging towards supremacy in the sports world anymore. Remember how Dana used to always say MMA will be the biggest sport in the world in a few years because it transcends all cultures? He definitely backed off of saying such things in recent years. I've noticed a huge drop off of interest in recent years. I remember introducing people to the sport, seeing them progress from casual fans into hardcore fans who went out and recruited new fans just as I had recruited them. In the past few years I haven't been able to recruit anybody and the people who were hardcore's regressed to casual and eventually lost interest entirely. I don't think I will ever give up on the sport, it's a huge aspect of who I am as a person but I can see why others have. The lack of competition is a massive detriment, Dana White being the most recognizable figure associated with the sport is also a humongous detriment. Imagine if NBA fans talked more about Adam Silver than Lebron James. Something weird would have to be afoot such as extremely poor management of a massive brand by a narcissistic imbecile.

It's an opinion based question how can someone be an idiot? That's like saying do you like carrots and claiming anyone who says no is an idiot.

Whether someone likes carrots is a matter of taste. Whether someone thinks MMA is dying is a question of analysis.

are you kidding me

when was wearing tap out shirts ever fashionable?

maybe some people think they can get away with it with affliction or FTF stuff but tapout? id rather walk the streets naked than wear a tapout top and a ufc baseball cap

Good poll to see who the idiots on these forums are.

Congratulations, you win!

Anyway, I also think the popularity is waning in recent years. I used to go to a sports bar to see some events, but now it's not worth the wait to get a seat or table. The big names are mostly gone or not doing well any more, while the new champs are boring and have no personality. It's really been downhill since Pride folded.

Dying is the wrong word. It's just coming down from the unnatural high of Brock's run coinciding with the prime of it's biggest homegrown ppv star ever, GSP.

Congratulations, you win!

Anyway, I also think the popularity is waning in recent years. I used to go to a sports bar to see some events, but now it's not worth the wait to get a seat or table. The big names are mostly gone or not doing well any more, while the new champs are boring and have no personality. It's really been downhill since Pride folded.

Wut? Have you seen them fight?

PPV numbers have nothing to do with interest

Near me boxing gyms now have MMA classes
MMA gyms have more members
Many more organizations with more shows to watch

I think its popularity is on the rise and will continue with more countries getting involved, adding more womens weight classes

are you kidding me

when was wearing tap out shirts ever fashionable?

maybe some people think they can get away with it with affliction or FTF stuff but tapout? id rather walk the streets naked than wear a tapout top and a ufc baseball cap

A few years ago everyone was wearing skulls and foil dragons.

Well, if we are measuring popularity by PPV sales, I think it's definitely declining, but the amount of people in Holland for example, that know about MMA or the UFC has increased a lot over the last few years. However, these people aren't buying PPVs.

Not dying, but it is transitioning from hyper growth to steady growth and has pretty much peaked. It happens to all things, but some faster than others.

The US people doesnt have time for MMA, now when the civilwar is approaching.

The Ufc is growing worldwide while star power is decreasing, if you mean popularity in terms of more exposure, yes it is growing, but if you mean in terms of building real passionate fanbase that started the growth in the first place, i think that is diminishing, all the superstars are gone and the ones who took their place aint filling those shoes

Back