Gimme your best forgotten 90's one hit wonders !

Really surprised they count. Figured Jet City Woman had charted.
If there is one thing this thread has revealed, it's that any nitpicking online you'll see over so-called legitimate one-hit wonders is anal retentive silliness, deeply flawed, and doomed. So I hope Sherdoggers are not discouraged from sharing songs they personally feel represent a one-hit wonder because of my effort to offer an objective framework. It's just there for our edification. It doesn't mean anything. It's dumb.

LOL examples:
  • Aqua doesn't count because of "Lollipop" and "Turn Back Time"
  • Calloway doesn't count because of "All the Way"
  • Crash Test Dummies doesn't count because of "Superman's Song"
  • Jesus Jones doesn't count becaues of "Real Real Real"
  • Right Said Fred doesn't count because of "Don't Talk, Just Kiss"
  • Sneaker Pimps doesn't count because of "Spin Spin Sugar"
  • Snow doesn't count because of "Girl, I've Been Hurt"
  • Tag Team doesn't count because of "Addams Family Whoomp"

I mean, give me a fucking break. None of us know the above songs. Nobody heard that shit played in the mall.

And equally laughworthy is that Jamiroquai qualifies because they technically only have one charting hit in the Hot 100, but that hit was "Alright". Meanwhile, "Virtual Insanity" was the MTV 1997 Music Video of the Year. This is a music video that predated YouTube, and yet it has 247 million views on YouTube. "Canned Heat" will forever be a timeless, celebrated dance song immortalized by the cult classic comedy Napoleon Dynamite. So obviously, Jamiroquai shouldn't count at all. We all know all three of these hits, and most of us also probably remember hearing "Cosmic Girl" get radio play. LMFAO Jamiroquai is a one-hit wonder.

They actually had like 1 amazing album then disappeared

This was probably their biggest hit

Now that I'm older, I really see how talented Live was

This was a song in a Halloween Michael Myers movie but it got a lot of play on the radio. It's one of my favorite songs ever.. And I see how this applies to the society we live in today.. The older I get, the more I realize that we as a human race are fucking idiots.. And each generation of fools gets worse

They actually had like 1 amazing album then disappeared

This was probably their biggest hit

Now that I'm older, I really see how talented Live was

Live was one of the biggest alt rock acts of the 90's. Not at all a one-hit wonder, or even a one-album wonder. Throwing Copper was the #1 album on the Billboard 200 because it had five charting Top 100 hits, and it made just about every "Best Album" list of the decade, but Secret Samahdi (three Top 100 hits) and The Distance to Here (two Top 100 hits) were also two of the bigger rock albums of the decade. Even Mental Jewelry was a major alt rock album. All four of those albums went platinum.

Throwing Copper happens to have my favorite album cover of all time.
Live-Throwing-Copper-Album-cover-820.jpg

Lakini's Juice is my favorite, too, but my second favorite was this one. It has aged immaculately. It is a seething indictment of the paralysis that came to grip our bipartisan political system analogized to the protracted, copacetic deterioration of a couple's relationship when they persist in their romantic entanglement despite their clear incompatibility long after they should have called it quits:

Amazing rock band, a favorite of mine and my friends from that period, always love to hear them brought up, but they don't at all fit into "one hit wonder" discussions.

Necro to see if we can inspire a few more finds since the 90's thread is going strong:

That 90's Hits Thread

To those new to the thread, I arbitrarily set a framework for qualification, but don't hesitate to mention something if it doesn't satisfy the criteria. I'm keeping track of everything either way. My outline was simple. A band must have only a single hit that charted on the Billboard Hot 100 to count as a "One Hit Wonder". Here's where we are:

I got a band to kickstart the necro that is technically a near miss, but in reality, anyone alive during the 90's knows this would be a silly inclusion. Remember 311? Well, they technically don't count because "All Mixed Up" and "Down" both hit the chart at #36 and #37, respectively (the latter hit #1 on the rock chart). So technically, close, but only technically. Because my favorite song was "Beautiful Disaster", and "Come Original" was another song that got huge airtime. I'm amazed all four of these didn't chart in the Top 100. This band was much bigger than only two Top 100 hits would make it seem:

I don't even remember this one, but it counts. Peaked at #71 in 1991 (contrary to what the YouTube title indicates):

Also from 1991. Peaked at #39:

Peaked at #97, and debuted in the Top 40 in the same week as the above two songs (February 16, 1991):

And, also in common with the above two, I don't recognize any of these three "hits".

This band doesn't count, but here's a true flash in the pan from the 90's that kids who grew up during this generation will recognize. These kids were the inspiration for the perhaps more successful act from the following year that capitalized on the mold: Kriss Kross. They were produced by Biv 10 records (Michael Bivin's company, of Bell Biv Devoe).

Only two Top 100 hits though they were big. Iesha at #9 and Playground at #10.

Great call but not a one hit wonder unfortunately

I remember at 6 to 12 month stretch where I heard this song at every bar, club, coffee shop, just going out for a walk and someone was blasting it in their car

Back