gi patch etiquette

TheIronGiraffe

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I switched gyms due to a contract issue recently. My current gyms bjj program wants you to wear a patch on your gi or you can't train. Well I feel like maybe this makes me an asshole but I have two gi's one of them is a generic whatever gi and the other is an impulsively purchased lucky gi. Well, the lucky gi was expensive and I really don't want to put a patch on it. My other one I could care less about. I'm pretty sure the head instructor will think I'm a prick if I don't, but I really hate stuff like that. To me its right up there with paying for belt tests, just something about it bugs me. So how big of a prick will I be if I politely ask him if I just put it on one and not the lucky gi? Try not to flame me to bad, I'm delicate

If everyone else has to do it so do you. Dude patches can be taken off. Just put the patch on if you want to train there or wear only the one gi.

i hate this kind of stuff as well, i wouldnt put it on the lucky gi, just put one on the cheap gi

I am sure you can a space on your lucky gi for the patch.

If everyone else has to do it so do you. Dude patches can be taken off. Just put the patch on if you want to train there or wear only the one gi.

Its just annoying the whole patch or you can't train thing...id never be direspectful but it just bothers me. Like some intangible thing

Its just annoying the whole patch or you can't train thing...id never be direspectful but it just bothers me. Like some intangible thing

It is just weird, usually it is a requirement to wear the club patch at the competition.

and I find it weird that you MUST wear one at training as well.

I mean you train in your team anyway.

let me guess, the patch is not free either..how much?

Go look at what a gb school makes you do or even Carlos machado to be a student. It's a frigging patch what's the big deal? You are part of a team, show support to your coach and fellow teammates.

It is just weird, usually it is a requirement to wear the club patch at the competition.

and I find it weird that you MUST wear one at training as well.

I mean you train in your team anyway.

let me guess, the patch is not free either..how much?

I think they give you one for free and then charge 5 or 10 after the first one

It's just a patch. I agree with you, it is kinda weird but.....whatever.

Go look at what a gb school makes you do or even Carlos machado to be a student. It's a frigging patch what's the big deal? You are part of a team, show support to your coach and fellow teammates.

What do they require you to be a student?

I understand competition, but you can't even train without a gi that has the patch on it?

To me right off the bat it doesn't sound a good school to train at. Why would the instructor MAKE you do anything? What if you are only going to train there for a few months? These stipulations do nothing but take attention from the reason you are actually there, which is to train BJJ.

It's just a patch. I agree with you, it is kinda weird but.....whatever.

What do they require you to be a student?

At Gracie barra you have to have a gracie barra gi. Not just the patch but their gi.

Machado requires patches not 100% on if you have to wear his gi though.

The place I'm going to did the same thing. I had to have a huge Carlos Machado patch on the back of my gi. Cost me $20

If your gi is worth more than your instruction, it might be time to switch gyms anyway.

$20 for a patch!!!

this is it guys!

when I open my club, everyone must wear and buy Lechien Gi and its patches as well or no training.

I will also change and modify the GI design on a annually basis so people want to buy the new design.

All in the name of team spirit and supporting Team Lechien.

If your gi is worth more than your instruction, it might be time to switch gyms anyway.

I value the instruction just fine, I just don't like the policy. I'm allowed to disagree with anyone I want. There is a difference between disagreeing and being direspectful.

dude you gotta represent your school. i think it's also especially important when visitors come in see everybody rockin the same patch. it makes the team look sharp and unified.

My school has the same policy, and aside from the added cost of buying the patch and having it sewn on, i'm fine with it. I'm proud to rep my school. you should be too.

Don't like it? Don't train there.

You choose to train there, he chooses to have his team wear patches.

Back