gi patch etiquette

It can get expensive but rules are rules.

Last edited:
I would just put it on, sounds like everyone else does in the school. The patch is probably 10$ and the dry cleaner fee around 3$, not that big of a deal really.

when you go to a restaurant, you read the menu...if you like it, you eat. if you don't, you leave. to eat there, you're required to pay their prices.

when you go to a bjj school, you read the contract...if you like it, you train. if you don't, you leave. to train there, you're required to pay their prices.

people tend to forget, bjj schools are a business designed to be profitable from sales just like anything else...no one is forcing you to join or to buy their patches.

Maybe the rule is in place to promote team unity and keep people that always have problems with authority from training there.

If I were a coach I would rather have someone on my team that happily represents the team, rather than someone who wants to rock a sick Lucky Gi.

Maybe the rule is in place to promote team unity and keep people that always have problems with authority from training there.

If I were a coach I would rather have someone on my team that happily represents the team, rather than someone who wants to rock a sick Lucky Gi.

It can get expensive but rules are rules.

Last edited:
could you get away with skipping the patches if you tattooed their logo on your ass?

Don't like it? Don't train there.

You choose to train there, he chooses to have his team wear patches.

I don't like the "you must do this to train here stuff" but I agree with the above. They make policies and you choose to follow them or train elsewhere.

I think the policy is stupid, but it's their business and it's their rules.

Btw, I think patches in general are dumb.

but nobody asked. :)

If a student at our school shows up without a patch everyone in the class has to do an extra 50 push-ups during warm up. First patch is free though, and extras are like $10.

I train at a Gracie Barra place and I don't have a Gracie Barra gi.

I bought one big Gracie Barra patch, got it sewed on the back of the gi that I compete in, and called it good. My instructor hasn't complained.

Maybe if I trained at GB Irvine, the instructor there would make me buy the $150 GB gi but my instructor is more lenient about it.

Another guy is saying that his instructor makes everyone do pushups if one guy doesn't have a patch on his gi.

The point being, it just depends on the individual instructor and his policy, and how strictly he wants to enforce it. And if you don't like it, you have the right to complain or take your business elsewhere.

I am down for the team I just don't like being forced to wear merchandise and the gi is pretty sick. Just sayin

I train in a gracie barra and of course they are pretty strict about the whole gi/patches thing.

sucks kind of at first but who really cares in the long run. its just a stupid gi thats going to get blood / sweat / tears (hopefully someone elses) / who knows what else on it anyway.

on the other side there is this guy who has tons of his own patches plus all the gracie barra patches that come with the gi. looks really tacky but our instructor/s don't really mind. what do you guys think about that?

I switched gyms due to a contract issue recently. My current gyms bjj program wants you to wear a patch on your gi or you can't train. Well I feel like maybe this makes me an asshole but I have two gi's one of them is a generic whatever gi and the other is an impulsively purchased lucky gi. Well, the lucky gi was expensive and I really don't want to put a patch on it. My other one I could care less about. I'm pretty sure the head instructor will think I'm a prick if I don't, but I really hate stuff like that. To me its right up there with paying for belt tests, just something about it bugs me. So how big of a prick will I be if I politely ask him if I just put it on one and not the lucky gi? Try not to flame me to bad, I'm delicate

That is retarded. Who cares about a stupid little patch?

when you go to a restaurant, you read the menu...if you like it, you eat. if you don't, you leave. to eat there, you're required to pay their prices.

when you go to a bjj school, you read the contract...if you like it, you train. if you don't, you leave. to train there, you're required to pay their prices.

people tend to forget, bjj schools are a business designed to be profitable from sales just like anything else...no one is forcing you to join or to buy their patches.

That right there is a problem for me. When your art starts to become business like and about the money, it does nothing but erode the art in the long run imo.

That right there is a problem for me. When your art starts to become business like and about the money, it does nothing but erode the art in the long run imo.

well maybe you'd be happier if only independently wealthy instructors taught BJJ....

fact of the matter is these guys practically give up their lives for the sport. atleast my instructor does.. he teaches BJJ from about 12 - 8 so i can't hate the guy for wanting a little cash for his effort... after all the guy's gotta eat too...

maybe you can just put it on that pants? i can see not wanting to put it on the jacket -- if you ever switch schools again and remove the patch, there'll be a big white(er) spot where the patch was. kinda sucks.

Wel, this other option is train under an amateur who has a 8-5 job and teach a couple of time per week instead.

I have a problem with fewer classes, less mat space, lesser facilities, less experienced instruction, and my coach not being able to train with black belts like travis lutter, Bruno bastos, and Carlos machado on a weekly basis.

The guy has to eat, raise a family/daughter, pay a mortgage etc he can make a few bucks off me. If his instruction is not worth what I pay to him a month he freely let's you leave. He says it often that if you are not getting what you need thru his instruction to leave and find another school. Very few leave.

A patch is a cheap one time thing for a gi. You but how many gi's a year? It promotes team unity and just makes a team look better IMO when at a tournament or even in class if everyone has the same patch.

I've got 4 gi's and have on each gi the alliance patch. why? because I am part of team alliance and want to represent them I also would buy an alliance gi if I would know where to get one

Back