Gi or No gi.... Pick one!

Hellboy31

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
For the guys who compete (or train) in both sports....

Let's say (hypothetically) that some definitive data is released that states that training in both is counter productive to both.... Meaning, that if you want to see maximum improvement in either your gi game or no gi game, you either have to train exclusively in either gi or no gi.

Which do you choose?

I guess I will just have to have my game hindered. I like both.

haha well i like both and train both the same amount of time.. but i like gi.. good grips are a huge advantage.

No gi.... Because hundreds and hundreds of hours training gi maneuvers wont help with shit in mma.

I don't get the question. Do we train in one or the other, but then compete in both? Or are we choosing to never participate in one or the other?

If you still want to compete in both, I would choose to train in gi. It's easier to adapt to no-gi than the other way around.

If I could only participate in one, I would choose to do no-gi. It is more applicable to MMA and self defense and just don't like having to worry about getting colar choked.

Last edited:
I'd train in the gi, but rely mostly on techniques that don't require it. Pretty much how I train at the moment, actually.

Apart from the technical benefits, I like the reduced risk of skin infections and not having to train with Tapout-clad, spazzy douchebags.

No Gi...my guillotines are less awesome when rolling with the Gi on :)

I prefer the gi. I'm not a very good natural athlete and I feel like having a gi on helps even the playing field.

If I had to choose one or the other I would definitely choose gi, without hesitation.

The entire premise of the question is based on a false dilemma that doesn't exist in real life though, you know that right?

GI

I like no-gi more, but nothing makes me realize how shitty my defense is like a good collar grip:icon_cry2

The entire premise of the question is based on a false dilemma that doesn't exist in real life though, you know that right?

I think this is the fun of a hypothetical question, like "Oprah or Carrottop?"

Chill out, dude.

I don't get the question. Do we train in one or the other, but then compete in both? Or are we choosing to never participate in one or the other?

If you still want to compete in both, I would choose to train in gi. It's easier to adapt to no-gi than the other way around.

If I could only participate in one, I would choose to do no-gi. It is more applicable to MMA and self defense and just don't like having to worry about getting colar choked.

Ok, so you'd have to pick one to train AND compete in. Basically it's just like someone's putting a gun to your head and saying "gi or no gi, pick one".

If I had to choose one or the other I would definitely choose gi, without hesitation.

Yeah, I know... Just a hypothetical scenario... I love training in both (as I know a lot of others do)... I'm really just trying to find out if you HAD to choose one, which one it would be.

Why?

Why even bring this up when you know this is constantly argued on here?

Do what you find is fun and helps your game.

I will not make that choice. Mat time makes you a better grappler. Not gi or no gi but grappling.

create thread or not create thread?

say hypothetically, you have the choice of creating another stupid gi vs nogi thread or not posting a stupid gi vs nogi thread, what do you do?

Back