Gi or No gi.... Pick one!

Gi.

There's nothing you can do in no-gi that you can't do in gi.

WRONG! Anyone who has been in a simple cross-choked can tell you that having a thick collar doesnt protect you from anything.

Perhaps you misunderstood my definition of "protect". I am simply stating that the BJJ GI has a specifically designed thick collar to protect the practitioners of BJJ from getting their necks cut. The GI provides some physical protection to the skin of the practitioner, while not inhibiting the technical application of the choke.

Last edited:
with gi. i think if you can pull off a move with gi, it offers you more variation in terms of real-life situations with various clothing and such. also, if you know the move gi style, you know the move no-gi. no?

OK I know this is another goddamn gi vs. no-gi thread now.

But I just realized something the other day. After a gi BJJ class I much more exhausted than I am after no-gi training. I use more strength and energy in gi, and gas out much more quickly in gi compared to no-gi. To me, no-gi requires much less strength and energy than gi, and I'm basically not even tired after no-gi class.

Why is that?

It's not because I'm not used to the gi. I'm primarily a gi guy, I'd say at least 95% of my training has been in the gi. My theory is that the increased friction in the gi means that more force is required to execute the techniques. Especially grip breaks, a huge part of my gi game revolves around getting my grips and breaking my opponent's, and breaking a gi grip requires much more force than breaking a skin-on-skin grip. And due to the reduced friction, I can substitute quickness for strength in no-gi much more easily than in gi.

Gi.
1. I don't like to be that close to shirtless dudes.
2. No Gi, no belt.

If your purpose is to fight in MMA, then the existing data all shows that you should spend most of your time training in wrestling, not in no-gi BJJ/sub grappling.

Essentially all of the successful grapplers in MMA are either former collegiate wrestlers or gi BJJ guys.

There aren't many successful MMA grapplers that only did no-gi BJJ and never wrestled or put the gi on.

If you're like me and didn't wrestle in high school, then gi training is probably the best bet.

I'll choose gi, because it allows me to control the pace of the match. Also I like that there are way more techniques possible with a gi on. It really seems unlimited.

I was talking to our bjj coach (Andre "Urso" Maracaba) before class and the reason I like no gi - he said when you have the gi on it's easier to excute a move since you have places to grab onto ie collar, belt etc etc....when you doing no-gi it takes more skill then with the gi since you have no where to grab to assist with a move. I am training for mma so i am bias.

One of the posters said he gets more of a workout when he is in the gi - well this is my opinion but I believe he gets a better workout since the gi restricts the body from cooling down as easy. I get really sweaty and hot when i roll with a gi and exhausted easier when i roll no gi.

just my two cents

Definetly Gi, I never plan on doing MMA.

I was talking to our bjj coach (Andre "Urso" Maracaba) before class and the reason I like no gi - he said when you have the gi on it's easier to excute a move since you have places to grab onto ie collar, belt etc etc....when you doing no-gi it takes more skill then with the gi since you have no where to grab to assist with a move. I am training for mma so i am bias.

just my two cents

I don't think it takes more skill. You may have more to grab for the move, but so does the person defending.

One of the posters said he gets more of a workout when he is in the gi - well this is my opinion but I believe he gets a better workout since the gi restricts the body from cooling down as easy. I get really sweaty and hot when i roll with a gi and exhausted easier when i roll no gi.

just my two cents

no-gi can also favor less techniqcal guys who are athletic, strong, and choose to grapple with out a rashguard (i.e. the sweat factor) IMO - at the very least it allows less skilled guys to go a lot farther.

anyhow, just my 2 cents.

Also I never plan on getting in a fight, even though I train 80% gi, I feel I still know enough to defend myself in a fight, so like I said MMA/self defense are NOT big factors at all for me.

If your purpose is to fight in MMA, then the existing data all shows that you should spend most of your time training in wrestling, not in no-gi BJJ/sub grappling.

Essentially all of the successful grapplers in MMA are either former collegiate wrestlers or gi BJJ guys.

There aren't many successful MMA grapplers that only did no-gi BJJ and never wrestled or put the gi on.

If you're like me and didn't wrestle in high school, then gi training is probably the best bet.

That is faulty logic. There is a very tiny pool of people that train only no-gi sub grappling and never put on the gi. That is why there aren't many big time MMA fighters from this background.

Also the best up and coming competitors train in the gi because the best teachers teach in the gi. The best teachers teach in the gi because they were taught in the gi. I'd be willing to bet that there will be very successful no gi sub grapplers and MMA fighters in the future that have very little to no experience in the gi.

What are peoples opinions on real life situations? In real life most people have shirts, so can this be used as a gi?

Gi because I think its more fun to train with

Back