Gi or No gi.... Pick one!

Gi, i've worked my butt off too much in gi to abandon it now..... I want that faixa preta....

I think this is the fun of a hypothetical question, like "Oprah or Carrottop?"

Chill out, dude.

Yeah OK I get that but if we're gonna do "would you rathers," there are a lot more interesting and original ones than "gi or no-gi?"

Like, "Would you rather have to wear your gi inside-out every time you train, or be forced to say Steve Urkel's catchphrase "Did I do that?" after every time you get a submission?"

Just wondering why a few people on the thread say no-gi is more applicable to self-defence.

I think 99.9% of people I have seen in the last 3 months were wearing T-shirts, shirts, jumpers, jackets, trousers (pants).
Yeah, I know that these will rip (T-shirts especially) but even if they do rip there's still going to be some fabric left to grip. Maybe in a slightly colder climate more people are wearing shirts and jumpers that won;t rip off completely like a flimsy T-shirt might.

PS -I prefer gi as I like having grips.

create thread or not create thread?

say hypothetically, you have the choice of creating another stupid gi vs nogi thread or not posting a stupid gi vs nogi thread, what do you do?

I at least give you credit for trying to be clever... You failed miserably, but at least you tried.

Here's another one.. To post in a thread that I think is stupid or not to post in that thread. How absolutely retarded do you have to be to enter your opinion into a thread that you think is stupid? Get a life dude, the majority of shit you post is negative and unnecessary.. Just crawl back under the rock you crawled out of.

Anyway, this thread was just meant to see what people's personal preference is for people who train both.. Not a big deal, was just curious to see which one people preferred over the other.

Well we at least know what Hellboy would do.

Not sure what this means... I don't have a clear idea of which one I'd pick. It's something that I'd have to put some pretty heavy thought in to.

Yeah OK I get that but if we're gonna do "would you rathers," there are a lot more interesting and original ones than "gi or no-gi?"

Like, "Would you rather have to wear your gi inside-out every time you train, or be forced to say Steve Urkel's catchphrase "Did I do that?" after every time you get a submission?"

Without a doubt "did I do that". And also I'd Choose gi as no gi (at the stage in currently at) seems to be more heavily influenced by str an speed.

And calm down about the op, there's no debate here just personal opinions.

No gi. In the street you won't really have a collar to choke people out with in all instances.

i train in both, and both are fun. gi is interesting in that you can utilize more submissions with the gi; no gi for real application to mma.

I'd choose no gi. I train mostly in a gi though as it is. I'd just like to move on to MMA in a few years. So if I found out one hurt the other I'd choose the one I eventually will be doing more of. I'd miss Judo though.

Just wondering why a few people on the thread say no-gi is more applicable to self-defence.

I think 99.9% of people I have seen in the last 3 months were wearing T-shirts, shirts, jumpers, jackets, trousers (pants).
Yeah, I know that these will rip (T-shirts especially) but even if they do rip there's still going to be some fabric left to grip. Maybe in a slightly colder climate more people are wearing shirts and jumpers that won;t rip off completely like a flimsy T-shirt might.

PS -I prefer gi as I like having grips.

Yeah, but IMO, I don't think they compare to the thick gi collar. A crew neck t-shirt collar, isn't as accessible as a gi collar. Though, you're completely right, there will always be some sort of fabric to grab (pants...sleeves if they are longer), but some collar chokes won't be as effective depending on what the person is wearing. So I guess for self defense purposes, both would be applicable. Though you'll probably do more no gi chokes...especially if it's a hot summer day and everyone is wearing shorts and a tank top :D

i'm a gi guy but i can't understand this reasoning for picking no-gi:

no-gi since there has been empirical (bullshit) experience/evidence that fighting in board shorts and rash guards are more common and realistic on the streets

now if you said, you like the explosiveness, quickness, and strength no-gi requires/has compared to gi, then ok that's a good reason, but don't pass the bs around that no-gi is more realistic than gi

Gi. More funny to me. Just that.

I don't care about self defense, but I still think that this strange theory about people wearing clothes on the street should be somewhat right :eek: , so knowing how to "grab" should be of some use :) .

now if you said, you like the explosiveness, quickness, and strength no-gi requires/has compared to gi, then ok that's a good reason, but don't pass the bs around that no-gi is more realistic than gi

thats why I like no gi. Due to health issues, my grip strength has become very weak so I hate gripping the gi in gi class...its almost too easy to break so I just prefer over/under hooks even in gi class. But I agree with and like your answer.

Yeah, but IMO, I don't think they compare to the thick gi collar. A crew neck t-shirt collar, isn't as accessible as a gi collar. Though, you're completely right, there will always be some sort of fabric to grab (pants...sleeves if they are longer), but some collar chokes won't be as effective depending on what the person is wearing. So I guess for self defense purposes, both would be applicable. Though you'll probably do more no gi chokes...especially if it's a hot summer day and everyone is wearing shorts and a tank top :D

You're right. Today I'm wearing jeans, a tshirt, and a zip-up fleece. There is no way Gi-techniques would work against me.:rolleyes:

That thick collar on that BJJ gi is there to protect the one getting choked. It's going to hurt way worse when you're choked with your daily clothing.

That thick collar on that BJJ gi is there to protect the one getting choked. It's going to hurt way worse when you're choked with your daily clothing.

LOL nice i never thought of it that way!

You're right. Today I'm wearing jeans, a tshirt, and a zip-up fleece. There is no way Gi-techniques would work against me.:rolleyes:

Also for durability.
Everyone could wear their street clothes to train in everyday to see how applicable grips are, but your wardrobe would be trashed after one class.

But you are right, I would love to choke someone out with a t shirt on who says that gi chokes aren't for "da streetz". Then see the look on their face when they wake up with a bloody ripped t shirt wrapped around their neck. The thinner the material the more chance for the skin breaking under the increased psi.

That thick collar on that BJJ gi is there to protect the one getting choked.

WRONG! Anyone who has been in a simple cross-choked can tell you that having a thick collar doesnt protect you from anything.

Back