lethalweapon

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
No one wants to roll with someone with a stanky gi and we all do our
best to wash after every session. I can understand washing it every other
session, because of time and money.

I've noticed that some people at my school leave their
gi's on the locker floor before putting it on for class.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the number of
sweaty feet and shoes that walks through the floor makes
we apprehensive to leave any article of clean clothing there.
If it's after class and you plan to wash it, then sure whatever.
It's only if it's right before training and they do this that bugs
me. It feels like the gi just "mopped up" the sweat and dirt
on the floor.

(My school is in a big city and they way I view the locker
room is similar to the way I see most public restrooms. Not that
it's physically dirty, but there's alot of germs and bacteria floating
around.)

And I know those same feet walk around the mats, so what's the
difference....

Am I being hyper sensitive, or do you think it's dirty as well?
IMO, it's just as bad if not worse then not washing it.

sure there are some guys who give no regard to hygiene, however you do realize that you will be rolling around with other sweaty people on that dirty mat for hours on end right?

lethalweapon said:
No one wants to roll with someone with a stanky gi and we all do our
best to wash after every session. I can understand washing it every other
session, because of time and money.

I've noticed that some people at my school leave their
gi's on the locker floor before putting it on for class.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the number of
sweaty feet and shoes that walks through the floor makes
we apprehensive to leave any article of clean clothing there.
If it's after class and you plan to wash it, then sure whatever.
It's only if it's right before training and they do this that bugs
me. It feels like the gi just "mopped up" the sweat and dirt
on the floor.

(My school is in a big city and they way I view the locker
room is similar to the way I see most public restrooms. Not that
it's physically dirty, but there's alot of germs and bacteria floating
around.)

And I know those same feet walk around the mats, so what's the
difference....

Am I being hyper sensitive, or do you think it's dirty as well?
IMO, it's just as bad if not worse then not washing it.

You are just being anal. Its not a BAD thing to be a germaphobe, but u gotta realize that what you do IS rolling around with sweaty dirty guys in a sweaty dirty environment.

TheVandalz said:
You are just being anal. Its not a BAD thing to be a germaphobe, but u gotta realize that what you do IS rolling around with sweaty dirty guys in a sweaty dirty environment.

yeah, I know.
somehow the mat don't seem as dirty as the locker room floor.
I shower after class anyway, but thought it would be nice if people
didn't do it.
Thanks.

TheVandalz said:

No, fuck that. People need to wash their shit when they go home. Yeah, you stink after class. But not nearly as bad as a fucking gi that has been crumpled up, and is still wet with sweat from the night before. The MINIMUM somebody should do is dry the gi, or hang it up so it has somewhat of a chance to air out. I don't care about the germs, but people who bring in a clean gi don't smell that bad during, or after rolling. But people with a wet, sweaty gi from yesterday smell like ass when they start class, and stink even worse when they finish.

"what doesnt kill you... Only gives you a rash.."

Or is it "makes you stronger"? i cant remember the damn saying.

"ETIQUETTE" is the correct word, which is defined as the practices prescribed by social convention or authority. It's not about behavior that is bare minimum, or what you can get away with. It's about doing things that may not seem important to YOU in the privacy of your own home, but you do them anyway when around others to generally help to create a more pleasing, less repulsive environment, amongst the masses (i.e. at the school where you train).

WASH YOUR GI FREQUENTLY.
KEEP YOUR NAILS TRIMMED.
WASH UP BEFORE YOU ROLL (to protect others) AND AFTER YOU ROLL (to protect yourself).

Another way to look at it: the kimono and tatame should be respected. Warriors throughout history have always taken great pride in their armor and weaponry. Before battle, they are sharp, polished, and clean, despite knowing that they're gonna get nasty in warfare anyway. The battlefield has also always been given respect, despite knowing that it's gonna be full of blood and guts and crap when the battle is over.

I, for one, try to shower or at least wash up from my chest up (face, armpits, arms) and rinse my feet, before heading out to the mats to roll. I slap on some extra deodorant for when the sweating really starts. I always change into my gi right before rolling, never too early, just to keep regular street grime off it.

Never had anyone complain or look at me funny when they roll with me.
And if you ever get any chicks to roll with in your class, they appreciate it too (heh heh).

I have been going without the gi a lot latley so I don't have a problem keepng it clean.

When I was using the gi a lot though, I would wash it after every other class and on the days I didn't wash it, I would spray febreeze on it and let it hang dry.

I refuse to roll with people who have'nt cleaned their gi or themsleves in the last week, that's disgusting. You are going to a grappling class and you know people are going to be in close proximity and you don't have the common decency to wash? I train 5 times a week in a gi as a result i have 2 of them so I neve have to turn up in an unwashed gi, I'm an impoverished student so if I can do it why can't everyone else?

End of rant

Where's fightsong? Isn't he the clean gi guru around here? :)

I consider washing to be mandatory. I haven't thought about the floor because ours is pretty clean. We share part of a high end gym and the carpet in the locker room seems fine to me.

Vanguard Anon comes to practice smelling like ingrown toenails. A cross between cheese and rotting flesh.

j/k... (He's a very clean dude.)

SwiftMcvay said:
No, fuck that. People need to wash their shit when they go home. Yeah, you stink after class. But not nearly as bad as a fucking gi that has been crumpled up, and is still wet with sweat from the night before. The MINIMUM somebody should do is dry the gi, or hang it up so it has somewhat of a chance to air out. I don't care about the germs, but people who bring in a clean gi don't smell that bad during, or after rolling. But people with a wet, sweaty gi from yesterday smell like ass when they start class, and stink even worse when they finish.

My bad, i just meant about it being on the locker room floor etc... I dont think that thats something to get worked up over. BUt a gi that wasn't washed since its last sweat shower, yeah i agree that shit should not happen.

Back