Getting stronger for Grappling

Shutinputin187

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I need serious help in the Strength department. I am only 5'7-5'9 and 145 and have been training bjj for the past 2 months. The problem is, is that i am incredibly weak. Whenever i roll i am simply always outmuscled and cant do anything against anyone else because i dont have the strength. I remember the other day getting subbed by a guy in his third lesson! This is ridiculous! I need to develop serious strength above all.

What are some strength training tips and good routines that fighters use?

Head on over to the FAQ. You should find what you are looking for there.

1)Unless the people Subbing you outweigh you by at least 25 kilos of muscle, it's more likely your technique that's letting you down rather than your strength. Unless you're a freak like Mr Penn, at two months in you are still very much a BJJ Noob.

2)That being said, a good, basic Strength Training Program is an excellent addition to BJJ training. If you check the FAQ's at the top of the page, there are links to several Beginner Programs.

More rolling. Kettlebells for core strength. Steroids may help also.

Pm me your email, I have a PDF that talks about s&c for grappling and what to do. I got it from another sherdogger, I'd be happy to pass it along when I get home.

Strength training will rarely hurt your grappling but if you wanna get good at grappling just grapple.

I'd say work twenty pound barbells in the monkey paw. Grip up to your palm and release down slowly.

I alternate this with simply holding them in monkey paw as long as I safely can.

At this point, just work on BJJ. It's your technique that's failing you, not your strength.

1) 2 months in just surviving a round is an accomplishment. Keep at it. Everyone spends their first 6 months pure defensively against the others learning what not to do. Focus on hip movement. Escapes and re-guards. Until another noob comes in the gym you won't get to work offensive really. As for the new guy subbing you- you performed a no-no and left him that opportunity. It wasn't cuz he was stronger than you unless he had 50 lbs of musle in you and just manhandled your arm into an Americana or Kimora.

2) all that said, running starting strength will definitely help you, and you'll probably enjoy it and see other improvements. In my opinion, Bench press and Deadlifts are the two most transferable lifts to grappling. They, along with squats, are the base of SS

How is bench press such a transferable lift to grappling?

1). Do Starting Strength or Stronglifts. The FAQ at the top of this forum is also very very helpful and informative.
2). Make sure you spend most of your time on technique.

Strength is massively important for grappling, but at it's heart it is a technique based activity. You need both.

Ignore the advice about kettlebells (they require technique to use properly) and the "monkey grip" work - this is grip specific advice and it doesn't matter how strong your grip or core is if you're piss weak as a human being.

Obviously ignore the steroid advice, that's just trolling.

Deadlifts, chin-ups and rows all work your grip, and these are in Starting Strength and Stronglifts so you get transfer of training from doing a general strength programme alongside BJJ.

Don't give up on lifting if you don't see immediate results. Lifting is an investment in the grappler you'll be in 6-12 months.

Deadlifts, chin-ups and rows all work your grip, and these are in Starting Strength and Stronglifts

Actually, chinups aren't in "classic" Starting Strength or in Stronglifts. They are in the Practical Programming version of Starting Strength, which IMO is the best version of SS to run.

When I did Stronglifts they were in there...Mehdi does change the programme occasionally though.

They're definitely in Starting Strength 3rd Edition - Page 297.

How is bench press such a transferable lift to grappling?

Bench press increases the strength of your pressing muscles and being stronger is better than being weaker. It's not directly applicable like learning a guard pass is but it's a more general adaptation so that when you need to utilize those muscles they will be stronger.

I was more curious as to why he felt that was in the top two applicable lifts.

It takes a couple of years (unless you train virtually every single day and with good partners) to get good at grappling.

When I did Stronglifts they were in there...Mehdi does change the programme occasionally though.

They're definitely in Starting Strength 3rd Edition - Page 297.

All sorts of lifts are mentioned in a chapter on accessory lifts in SS 2nd edition, but the SS programme was always

Day A: squat, bench, deadlift
Day B: squat, press, power clean

There were variants (like Practical Programming) but above was it. Has the basic programme recommended by Rip changed?

Of course none of this matters much, because people should switch to JauntyLifts after the first month or so anyway.

Batman is the world's greatest Martial Artist, and he can Bench 1,000lbs raw.

Just sayin'.:icon_chee

Back