Getting in shape Boxing or BJJ?

Well I have done boxing and BJJ and i have found that they work different muscles but if you wanna build muscle as fast as possible and burn the most calories do boxing. BJJ does make you tired and it teaches you alot about ground fighting but if you dont wanna learn or dont care, then do boxing. If you do "circuits" like at my place you will be dead tired every day....

BOxing if you are looking to get into shape, but as others have said both would be great also.

Seriously?!?

Between boxing and BJJ to get in shape?
Boxing. Why even consider BJJ to get in shape? It helps but it is slow and will not get you in great shape.
Try boxing or Wrestling both are WAY more explosive and require much more endurance.

If you ask a boxer he would say boxing and a bjj artist he would say bjj. its kind of a diffrent stamina

ZGSON said:
I must have been doing something wrong then, Ive had one class each of Muay Thai and BJJ, and last night was the BJJ class and I was Wayyyyyyyy more out of breath and tired from grappling

Yea def BJJ can do that to you. It's all about breathing to be honest. I've seen an instructor take on his whole class w/o stopping and he doesn't look trim to be exact, but in good shape.

I figure the poster wanted to have a good looking body and BJJ doesnt' really care about that. BJJ is a way of life and technique and flow. With time your body will come in BJJ. Boxing is more upfront where you train the muscles that look good to also protect yourself from blows.

Boxing is better to get into shape. Theres a ton of running, and jumping rope is great for stamina and coordination. Boxing will have you fit before you really start fighting. Grappling is intense, but to get in shape you're probably better off with more straight cardio.

I'm in a similar situation. I hadn't done much of anything in the way of sports since high school wrestling 10 years ago. I started BJJ classes 3 weeks ago and it's kicking my ass. If beginning boxing is more intense than beginning BJJ I think boxing would literally kill me.

On a more serious note I'm loving BJJ and it's a great sport if you're interested in the art and competition.

whichever one you enjoy more.

No gi is better than bjj with a gi to get in shape. But boxing will woop your ass into shape real quick. But dont start it for that reason. Choose the one that atracts you most. Seriously.

Well what are your trying to accomplish. Are you trying to get in good shape or look ripped. If you wanna get toned and look beef then they both can do it but id lean more to boxing. If you want a full body workot with stretching and cardio then go to the BJJ club. You should go to both. Its a win win situation

That's for information guys. I think I'm going to star boxing even if I'm a mad fan of BJJ.

I dont get how you are gonna have any motivation to do this if your only goal is to "get in shape". I have to be somewhat interested in something to persue it, getting in shape is just a bonus...but to each his own, good luck.

OoosunkingooO said:
That's for information guys. I think I'm going to star boxing even if I'm a mad fan of BJJ.

Are you looking forward to boxing for more than "geting in shape". If not for the sake of love and god choose bjj that you is a mad fan of....

Boxing will get you into better shape. They concentrate ALOT on cardio.
But why don't you take both? It's great fun if you have the time for it.

I would say do both you get the cardio of boxing with the overall workout of bjj

Jazbo said:
Well, boxing is much more cardio oriented while BJJ is a lot more of a strength work out.
That is the truth if your wanting to lose weight and get toned maybe try out boxing.

Zankou said:
I find boxing WAY more physically demanding than bjj. Lot of guys who do bjj are old or out of shape, they can still roll just fine. You have to be in great shape to do even one round of sparring in boxing.

Boxing is better exercise, but bjj is still excellent exercise. You should just do whichever you think is most fun. Either will get you in good shape, boxing will just push you much harder.

agreed. boxing also stresses a lot on cardio.

Serial Crusher said:
yeah as far as cardio and looks go you should go for boxing. but for strength and effectiveness in a street fight i'd give an EDGE to grappling.

yeah since you can pull guard and go for an armbar while their friends kick you in the ribs and head.

boxing and wrestling are kings of the street

If you're concerned more about body appearance, I'd go with boxing.

Back