Getting in shape Boxing or BJJ?

OoosunkingooO

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey, guys.

There are both Boxing gym and BJJ dojo near by my house and I'm thinking about taking either one of them. I've been working for last 10 years without any phisical activity besides having lots of sex. Now I decide to take some phisical training before I look like Dick Chaney.

Which one should I take? Boxing or BJJ? any recrmendations?

OoosunkingooO said:
Hey, guys.

There are both Boxing gym and BJJ dojo near by my house and I'm thinking about taking either one of them. I've been working for last 10 years without any phisical activity besides having lots of sex. Now I decide to take some phisical training before I look like Dick Chaney.

Well..I definfitly dont belive the lots of sex part and Im partial to MT and boxing cause thats my base but I would say find a gym that does both

If your doing it just to get back into shape, I would do boxing. If you are doing it because you are interested to learn about one, take one class of each and then decide.

OoosunkingooO said:
Hey, guys.

yeah right....... you have tons of sex.....

Well, boxing is much more cardio oriented while BJJ is a lot more of a strength work out. DO both, hehe.

Do both.......boxing might be a little better cardio......but just do both

just beat the shit out of who ever your're fucking....like forplay?

yeah as far as cardio and looks go you should go for boxing. but for strength and effectiveness in a street fight i'd give an EDGE to grappling.

BJJ if done correctly is not tyiering or a massive workout... It is known as the lazy art.. as technique is prevelent over power-strength

Boxing is huge cardio requirments... IF you like to wrestle do some Greco-Roman... fresstyle wrestling... now that is a work out....

Muay Thai is also a great work out..

yea cardio i'd go w/ boxing. Grappling is a great workout as well, but classes are going to teach you technique too. Instructors of both are going to tell you to start running outside the gym as well. I would start off in boxing and then start grappling. I'd also run a few times a week w/ the classes and have lots of sex still.

If they train hard at the boxing gym, Id do that. We used to jump rope for 15 min, do a mile sprint, 5 rounds on the heavy bags, 5 rounds of sparring drills, body conditioning, ab work and streching. it was 2 hours plus a night.

I've done both and I can honestly tell you that (IMO) it is much harder rolling for ten minutes than boxing for ten. It is more of a full body workout.

I must have been doing something wrong then, Ive had one class each of Muay Thai and BJJ, and last night was the BJJ class and I was Wayyyyyyyy more out of breath and tired from grappling

I have done some kickboxing and grappling, small amounts of both, and have found cardio wise, which I'm assuming you mean by being fit, they are both pretty even. Hell if you're not worried about fighting buy some pink spandex and go to one of the cardio kickboxing schools. Ok the pink spandex was a joke but some of those schools still have very good workouts.

It's really personal preference on which style you'd be more intrested in learning, as they are both good. And if you're talking about bulking up, you better hit the weights because neither kickboxing or bjj are going to give you any muscles.

LamaBoy said:
I've done both and I can honestly tell you that (IMO) it is much harder rolling for ten minutes than boxing for ten. It is more of a full body workout.

I agree. Grappling forces you to use every part of your body not only individually but also your body as a whole. Now, I am not saying that boxing is a walk in the park though.

I find boxing WAY more physically demanding than bjj. Lot of guys who do bjj are old or out of shape, they can still roll just fine. You have to be in great shape to do even one round of sparring in boxing.

Boxing is better exercise, but bjj is still excellent exercise. You should just do whichever you think is most fun. Either will get you in good shape, boxing will just push you much harder.

Your story sounds like mine. I'd done nothing for about 7 years, and I just got back into BJJ, and I took up (real) boxing for the first time. Boxing gets my vote for the cardio workout, and BJJ for the overall body. I wouldn't really call it "strength" training, but a full-body toning/flexibility workout.

I've been into both full force for about 3 months now, and I've lost 15 pounds. I feel great at 170, and don't plan on ever gaining that shit back. Go for it.

Back