Getting BJJ guys to do Judo

I would also mention that most people who really want to do Judo are at Judo dojos. Those typically don't have a BJJ class. If they did, it would probably not be well attended. They are two different sports, and the things people like about BJJ are often not as prevalent in Judo (Judo requires more athleticism and the training is generally much more intense. I also find it hard to get more than 4-5 guys to come to really intense BJJ drilling sessions).

I have never seen a judo guy that doesnt likes BJJ after trying it.

I think its the fact that all judoka train some sort of newaza, but not all BJJ guys train judo. Also BJJ is funnier and easier to learn, and you can always tap to anything that makes you feel pain. You cant tap to throws.

Also there are different types of guard pulling and top control is an important part of it.

Its easier for the judo guy to pull a deeper guard and to prevent their opponents from pulling a deep guard.

i travel about 45 min to the only judo club around me-the 2 things ive taken from it the most are how its made me so comfortable standing,and they have some different ways of attacking on the ground,new tricks for my bjj game. oh,and falling-but i think that probably goes along with being comfortable standing

i had one of my training partners come once,and never again. also had a few that said theyd like to go,but never have...oh well i guess

I took Judo for a year and then BJJ for 6 years and counting.
My BJJ school had a Judo class for a while and I was one of the few guys who attended regularly. It was fun, but not all that directly useful. I don't find that turning hip and shoulder throws are very good for BJJ. The sacrifice throws and trips/foot sweeps are good though.

At this point I'd be much more interested in a wrestling class than a Judo class. Usually when guys get takedowns in BJJ matches, it's some kind of wrestling style, grabbing-the-legs takedown.

I started the Judo program inside our Bjj academy just recently (we got it from this year anyway); coming from years of only Bjj and a lacking stand up (more for my fault than anything, since we really often start on our feet even in Bjj) I'm having A TON of fun.

Also while physically it is really demanding compared to Bjj (the non-stop action of grip fighting and basically always moving can be atrocious), on the other hand I find it personally less mentally stressing than Bjj..

At my school, we spend half of one fundamental's class learning Judo. We learn moves that translate well like foot sweeps, hip throws & grip fighting. Attending this class every week has helped me be more comfortable in my standup during tournaments.

its sad but bjj because of the ufc has become mainstream. problem is they go to a judo class and get thrown around and it hurts their egos. so they put their heads in the sand and pull guard or worst jump guard. bjj stance is no problem for judo get real.

We train Judo and BJJ at our club. The instructors are very high level in both. However, BJJ is by far the more popular. Most of the Judo guys cross-train BJJ but the reverse is not the case.

I think there is a (somewhat justified) fear that Judo is hard to learn and hard on the body. Some guys (both Judo and BJJ) have told me that they would prefer to concentrate on one art until they feel comfortable with it which I can understand.

I have also been to pure Judo clubs where the quality of instruction has not been as high as my current club but with much greater attendance. I suppose the reason may be that there is simply no BJJ option to lure grapplers away.

I came to Judo as a purple belt in BJJ and have really enjoyed it. I personally think it's better to have a well-rounded skill set. I'd rather have a sick osoto than an unstoppable berimbolo (sadly I have neither yet but I'm working on the osoto). That's just my personal preference though.

its sad but bjj because of the ufc has become mainstream. problem is they go to a judo class and get thrown around and it hurts their egos. so they put their heads in the sand and pull guard or worst jump guard. bjj stance is no problem for judo get real.

I dont think any bjjer should have an ego problme wering thrown, you know is going to happen, and most bbjers have gotten their ego checked after a while, bjj kind of does that...

thing is, if its olympic judo, you get not much for your bjj game...

I dont think any bjjer should have an ego problme wering thrown, you know is going to happen, and most bbjers have gotten their ego checked after a while, bjj kind of does that...

thing is, if its olympic judo, you get not much for your bjj game...

so throwing someone and getting 2 points and landing in side control is not adding much too my bjj game? id rather do that and gain 2 points plus that mental victory of just owning them then pulling guard for 0 points and risk getting passed. its a no brainer unless you have some high level guard your on a loser. ok you can shoot for a single/double but then you might get sprawled on and back taken that way. whatever.

Our school has a judo black belt teach a class every monday before the bjj class, although ive stopped going as Ive broke a toe and always end up significantly more hurt/sore than just the bjj alone.

I like Judo, but I don't do Judo competitions so a class is nothing more than a side activity.

I got to train with a lot of guys who trained at/with the San Jose SU Judo Team and it was intense. I almost got some type of injury every time we practiced. Those guys are beat to shit too, multiple knee surgeries, bad shoulders, arthritic fingers, etc. I just didn't want to train at that level since, as mentioned, it was an afterthought to BJJ.

The biggest reason for not pursuing it, as Uchi mentioned, is that it just doesn't work when someone doesn't want it to. Bend at the waist and stiff arm. I was a sad-as-shit Judo white belt and could stave off Judo black belts. Was I playing Judo rules? Hell no, but I didn't get thrown either. I just didn't see the point in investing so much time to get good at Judo when someone could just pull guard or bend at the waist and nullify almost everything I was hoping to do.

You won't. If they wanted to train Judo they would be training it already. People that go to Judo want to be good at throwing. If they wanted to be better at it than at ground fighting they would not be at BJJ. There are tones of reasons that were already explained that make Judo not be the best option to help your BJJ game. Self defense, to help your MMA prospects, to make you a better grappler overall, sure. To help your BJJ, not the first option. I plan into going back to Judo next saturday but I know I am going there for Judo, not to help my BJJ game.

You get more people training something by making it more fun and more useful and that is what Judo isn't doing. For pure sportive purposes, BJJ is faster to learn, hurts you less and has the advantage of being cool and hype (yeah, if you want to make people train more Judo put fighters on MMA using it or throw drunk people on pubs. For every drunk guy that try to beat you up and that you KO by hitting him with the planet is one more guy that will give Judo a chance. That is actually how BJJ grew). Put the "I will throw him or I will control the crap out of him standing to not let him successfully pull guard on me" mindset on every time you start standing in BJJ and you are helping your class get students eventually.

I seriously believe that a Judo class focused on actual martial aspect, without IJF ruleset bullshit, that had actual ground grappling, with all that old self defense stuff and that also had no-gi training in it would not have any problem filling itself anywhere in the world (which is basically taking out everything people complain about Judo. Olympic rules, IJF, stalling to get up again, relying too much on the gi).

Last edited:
Guard pulling is a bitch move IMO. But I train grappling for the purpose of mma, so I am biased.

although, if its an old school judo class, that give a fuck about olympic rules, thats very good for bjj, IMHO.

This is what my club is about.

You should hear the grumbles coming from sensei as he talks about the IJF and Olympic judo.

I did Judo for a couple of months, and it really took a toll on my body. I would return to my dorm and take ice baths because of all the impacts I received from getting tossed. They call Judo "the gentle art", but its not very gentle. I finally quit because my body couldn't take it anymore.

I was a bit worried about taking up Bjj because I was afraid that it would be like Judo, but when I started, it was very easy to get into, and learn stuff. I still get banged up a bit, but its not from constantly slamming into the mat, its from moving my body around in new and interesting ways, and subbed constantly. I absolutely love it, and wish I had picked it up years ago instead of Judo.

Also I think the no gi Bjj, and wrestling takedowns just seem a bit more practical for the self defense side of things for a lot of people.

Guard pulling is a bitch move IMO. But I train grappling for the purpose of mma, so I am biased.

As I mentioned earlier, it's a pretty good strategy for sport BJJ, I'm not sure where all the hate and derision comes from for a tactic that doesn't make the fight less intense (frankly, guard pulling often eliminates minutes of really boring BJJ standup), though I could certainly see not being a fan if you're thinking about MMA since it's a pretty bad idea in MMA. But most guys who pull guard are immediately working sweeps and submissions, it's not like people are pulling to avoid a fight, they're pulling because that's where they think they have the best chance to score. Guard pullers finish just as many fights as people who work TDs, there's not a whole lot of difference in match outcomes. If you pull and sweep, you're in the same situation as if you threw the dude, on top up two points. I've lost more matches to guys who pulled guard than to people who tried to stand with me.

I am a Judo Black Belt and BJJ Blue, and I train both arts each week. Judo practices are alot more intense and not many people around here are interested in throws. In fact, I actually started training BJJ again in the summer because only 2-4 people would come to Judo practice. I just wasn't getting enough Judo practice. It is sad people don't have more interest in Judo around here.

Judo is hard work. BJJ guys are lazy. It's the same with trying to get em to do Sambo, we'll have 6 people tops on a good day.

Don't you train with Reilly Bodycomb? I'd think that his sambo classes would be pretty packed. If I lived in your area I'd totally be doing both BJJ and sambo (and judo if I had the time).

I've had a hell of a time getting BJJ guys to come to judo too, but I think that mostly around here it's a time issue. 95% of our club are college students, and between bad time management (the real culprit, IMO) and being busy, they just can't make it to both BJJ and judo on a regular basis.

I like Judo, but I don't do Judo competitions so a class is nothing more than a side activity.

I got to train with a lot of guys who trained at/with the San Jose SU Judo Team and it was intense. I almost got some type of injury every time we practiced. Those guys are beat to shit too, multiple knee surgeries, bad shoulders, arthritic fingers, etc. I just didn't want to train at that level since, as mentioned, it was an afterthought to BJJ.

The biggest reason for not pursuing it, as Uchi mentioned, is that it just doesn't work when someone doesn't want it to. Bend at the waist and stiff arm. I was a sad-as-shit Judo white belt and could stave off Judo black belts. Was I playing Judo rules? Hell no, but I didn't get thrown either. I just didn't see the point in investing so much time to get good at Judo when someone could just pull guard or bend at the waist and nullify almost everything I was hoping to do.

So judo doesnt works in BJJ because you treat judo randori as a BJJ match?

You can stiff arm and bend all you want, that may prevent me to throw you for ippon, sure but in BJJ im not looking for ippon, ill just break your balance and drag you to the ground, 2 points for me and a better position.

You pull guard? its ok, my top game is my best game and be sure you will pull guard in my terms, not yours.

Back